• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City - NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Uni - non reds

Wakley - 1 or 2 - versatile and great impact player (country)

Wade - 2 - might be off to the brumbies

Korczyk - 4/6 - very young but physical enough. Played QLD A earlier in the year so will be a good chance. (City)

de Guingand - 7 - might not be the best know player in the bris comp and studying medicine will go against him but an outstanding talent and one to watch in the finals series (country)

Mitchell - 7 - lot of good 7's around but he is one for the future and will play in the comp at some stage if not this year (country)

Arvier - 8 - outside chance if you are picking a team to win. Damaging ball runner and very quick for a big guy. (City)

Thompson - 9 - I easily rate him in the top 3 halves in the comp but it might be through uni coloured eyes. He is the type of bloke players love playing with especially forwards. (City or Country)

Parker - 11 - got pace, defends well and knows how to score tries. Will be very surprised if he doesn't make it. Although studying med might go against him (country or city)

Setu - 13/14 - had a good season at 13 for uni and has experience in pro set ups o/s. Probs a long shot (city)

Pincus - 15 - has been deadly at the back with counter and the leading point scorer in the comp (country)

Dalgilsh might get a look in as well as all the reds 10's are out (city)

Obviously too many uni players there as only 2 or 3 will make it but it just depends on what way they want to go with the comp. Win it this year (Arvier, Setu, Thompson) or develop players (Wakley, Dalgilsh, korczyk) for the future.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Liking the two 3pm Saturday kick offs against Country and Melbourne and i can live with thursday night games. Good for students and families at those times. Not a fan of a game being a curtain raiser for the bledisloe though. I'm not interested in paying 80 bucks to see Australia get flogged again in a dead rubber game just so i can see city play in an empty stadium.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Have to agree with RH about Thompson. I've always been impressed when I've watched him play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

Tigers Tale

Lads - let's not kid ourselves here - the reality is that both BC & QC (Quade Cooper) are going to be the Reds squad split in two regardless of whatever criteria they use to divvy up the players and therefore at the end of the day there will simply not be an opportunity for players like: Fattal, Mullins, White, Rochester, O'Connor, Rex Tapuai, Lee, Mitchell, Thompson, Parker, Pincus.

Most of these guys don't have the "Reds" seal of approval (i.e. they are not rated by the QRU coaching set-up (Graham down to Carozza & Wilkin)) so they won't be given an NRC spot.

Having said that I don't for one minute doubt the credentials of any of these players mentioned.

I wonder what Brothers players will get an NRC call up? I'd have that young lock Payne but he's part of the Reds chosen ones as an Aust U20 but I think the Reds have fallen out of love with Sam Greene. (Filth I am not having a crack at Greenie here, it's just that I think they probably rate McIntyre ahead of him now after the Reds A series earlier this year)

Will any Wests or Norths get an NRC gig? I think possibly not because are there any players Smith & Vuki aside who would be in the class of the above list?

T

Tigers Tale

I am sure that there are some other "Angus Cottrell's" out there in QPR who just need a chance.

Maybe you could suggest you own club's potential NRC bolter?

The Tiger's bolter would be Brad Wilkin. But a Sam Fattal would probably thrive if given an opportunity to play a #6 role in the NRC. Imagine that two big young guys who could develop into the hard running back rowers that the Reds are yearning for.

T

Train Without a Station

TT, Surely there will be at least 30 players who get a crack. Split the Reds squad down the middle including EPS and that's 16 to each team with 1 left over. Remove the Wallabies, Gill on 7s duty, those out injured and that's down to about 10 each team due to our high number of injuries.

That means that there's at least 10 players outside the squad who will get a run just to fill the starting teams. Another 30-40 in total to bring squads up to around 33 each. Sure. That's something like 60+ players total that will be used by the Reds between Super Rugby and the NRC. Considering that before injuries there was 46 looked at (Reds plus Reds A). There's likely to be 14 new players in the squads at least.

From there let's cut out the off-contract players who will likely be playing for their new teams or retired:

1. Albert Anae
2. Mike Harris
3. Dom Shipperly
4. Aiden Toua
5. Jonah Placid
6. Rod Davies
7. Jono Owen
8. Ed O'Donoghue

Then let's cut out the Wallabies and those who will be playing 7's:

9. James Slipper
10. James Horwill
11. Rob Simmons
12. Liam Gill

Now let's cut out those likely to miss at least a good chunk due to injury:

13. Will Genia
14. Quade Cooper
15 Ben Daley
16. Ed Quick
17. Ben Lucas
18. Chris Feauai-Sautia
19. Ben Tapuai
20. Nick Frisby

Now that leaves 26 of the original 46 Reds and Reds A team. That's 20 playing spots to already open up. Now even if we manage to replace 6 of those 8 players with new contracted players who will be available for QLD NRC teams (keeping in mind if JOC (James O'Connor) and Hunt have signed, they will not be available for the NRC), that's still 14 playing spots for round 1 likely.

Potentially then there would be further squad positions as I doubt these teams will be looking to go into Round 1 with their match day squad as the only fit players in the squad.

And that's based on the Reds keeping every single contracted player in Queensland.

The conclusion? There will be opportunities.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I see where you are coming from and agree is some areas TT but look at 9 and 10
Genia
Frisby
Cooper
Lucas
Harris

Are all injured so the replacements should come from the QPR.
Gale will be one 9 leaving 3 places open
At 10 it's anyone's game my guess would be Brandon, Mcintyre and Greene will grab 3 of the 4 leaving one place open.

Same thing for the back 3 as only JJ and turner look fit. With a min of 8 spots to fill

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think plenty of guys will get a look in. The players I posted aren't guys who I think will play but that should be considered. They are playing quality rugby week in, week out at Premier level.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Splitting the uninjured Reds that aren't sitting in the departure lounge into two teams should leave a shit ton of opportunities for other players. ;)

T

Tigers Tale

Jets it was interesting to see the Force having a whinge in that they are only allowed 16 S15 players in their Perth Spirit squad.

So there must be a "numbers" cap - which shouldn't affect BC or QC (Quade Cooper) as by your numbers (above) you say 16 Reds will be in each squad.

Clearly Melbourne & Canberra will fall into the same boat in terms of fitting their S15 players into their NRC sides - so with no space in the two Qld NRC sides the extras will have to filter back to the Sydney sides.

We think there will be confusion around the make up of the Qld sides that will be nothing compared to the jockeying for players surrounding the Sydney sides.

T

Train Without a Station

But remember most of these players will have Sydney links anyway, so likely will if they have the choice, head to one linked to their old club.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Jets it was interesting to see the Force having a whinge in that they are only allowed 16 S15 players in their Perth Spirit squad.

So there must be a "numbers" cap - which shouldn't affect BC or QC (Quade Cooper) as by your numbers (above) you say 16 Reds will be in each squad.

Clearly Melbourne & Canberra will fall into the same boat in terms of fitting their S15 players into their NRC sides - so with no space in the two Qld NRC sides the extras will have to filter back to the Sydney sides.

We think there will be confusion around the make up of the Qld sides that will be nothing compared to the jockeying for players surrounding the Sydney sides.

Melbourne will definitely have some issues but between wallabies and injury there wont be too many who have to leave Canberra.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I mentioned it in the country thread that Premier coaches have been told that their players wont be touched until they have been knocked out of the finals. Chances are the City team for the first game wont contain players who played in the GF the Sunday before.

Squads announced on 1 August too.

T

Tigers Tale

Even the players are being left in the dark as to what NRC team they will play for.

Status
Not open for further replies.