• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City - NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK, watching your team lose is disappointing, but its not a waste of $15 when you get to see some talent go around.

Cheaper than a Super Rugby ticket, and a better seat I'll bet. Day at the rugby. What's not to love?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Just a note, I believe if not for injury or wallaby selection I'm addition to their 7 reds contracted players in the 23 they would have had:

1. Horwill
2. Cooper
3. Harris
4. Lucas
5. Tapuai
6. Quirk
7. Hanson

Plus possibly one or two others. That's at least 14 players. 8 of those 14 are wallabies.

So as noted previously. Shut up you sooks.
The only one acting like a spoilt child here is you mate Give it a rest.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Just a note, I believe if not for injury or wallaby selection I'm addition to their 7 reds contracted players in the 23 they would have had:

1. Horwill
2. Cooper
3. Harris
4. Lucas
5. Tapuai
6. Quirk
7. Hanson

Plus possibly one or two others. That's at least 14 players. 8 of those 14 are wallabies.

So as noted previously. Shut up you sooks.

Harris and Lucas are in country, but more to the point there isn't much complaining here. Only one complaint in this thread about the rising side and one about money spent on tickets, from a quick scan it looks much the same on the match thread with some not coming from city fans (based on the assumption that fans of other states super teams are not brisbane city fans). Mostly I've seen people accepting the rising outclassed us and praising their class/tipping them to go all the way. I'm pretty sure I've seen more posts complaining about complaints then actual complaints.*

There is a greater discussion to be had about player distribution in Australia, but nrc teams are only a small part of that and undercutting the non-traditonal rugby areas limited development opportunities is not high on the list of good idea.

*I suppose I should probably add this one to that list too...

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
They have 17. The reds had 6 or so super rugby players unavailable. Shut up you sook.

18 if you want to be technical and not count Higginbothom.

Seems to me that you're the one that's a bit hurt, I was simply looking at the stats and the overall aim of the competition. I wholeheartedly agree that Brisbane deserved the thrashing they got given the way they played. But can you really say that having only 6 club players in your team (1 in the starting side) is developing rugby in the state and giving players the exposure that this competition is meant to give?

Brisbane City have 12 Reds and that's including Hanson, Horwill, Genia and Cooper. 16 of the 23 that played on the weekend aren't. I think you're mistaking whinging for constructive discussion.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not missing any point. I'm merely defending the Rising who are being treated as if they are being given a massive advantage when really it's not that massive, they've just been lucky with injuries and city haven't, much like I would and have when people have criticised the ARU top up system that benefits us and the Waratahs.

Considering you obviously have no knowledge on how the Rebels operate you shouldn't criticise what they've done to develop rugby in the state.

In early July they named a squad of approximately 40 local players that began training to supplement the Rebels players as their NRC squad.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
1. Sef Faagase
2. Matt Mafi
3. Phil Kite

I think that should be the starting front-row for the next City game. They are all enormous and plus I think they are better scrummagers. It's really is up for debate, but I personally would have these three starting.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Rising have not been lucky with injuries. They selected their 16 Super Rugby players after knowing the Rebels injury list at the end of the season. Brisbane can't do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
OK, watching your team lose is disappointing, but its not a waste of $15 when you get to see some talent go around.

Cheaper than a Super Rugby ticket, and a better seat I'll bet. Day at the rugby. What's not to love?

'79 - 18'

T

Train Without a Station

Rising have not been lucky with injuries. They selected their 16 Super Rugby players after knowing the Rebels injury list at the end of the season. Brisbane can't do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rising have not had a single player that they selected get injured. A number of players from the potential Brisbane pool suffered injuries, many were before the NRC though. That's still bad luck with injuries.

Now if Brisbane had been training their club players since June/July. Had selected well, rather than just making assumptions and then seeing that both the Reds halfbacks were playing for the same team, etc. and this was the result well fair enough.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
The Rising have not had a single player that they selected get injured. A number of players from the potential Brisbane pool suffered injuries, many were before the NRC though. That's still bad luck with injuries.

Now if Brisbane had been training their club players since June/July. Had selected well, rather than just making assumptions and then seeing that both the Reds halfbacks were playing for the same team, etc. and this was the result well fair enough.
Give it a rest.

Let's say that the Reds(Brisbane) had done what you're saying, that probably would of only made the score 60-18

We were smashed by a better outfit, it's not the end of the world.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I didn't go out to the game last week, nor did I watch the live version of it online. It was only until yesterday that I watched the replay.

If I didn't know the end score (which I found out an hour after the game) I generally would have thought that Brisbane put in a reasonable first-half effort, with Melbourne 'just' being the better side, with City bombing a few chances.

To me, Melbourne are a polished version of Brisbane. I believe BC have similar backline talent, its just they couldn't capitalise on chances and lacked continuity.

The one thing that struck me was the varying degrees of fitness displayed in the Brisbane team. This really stood out to me. You could tell by the level of involvement who the Super Rugby players were. I.e. Gill and Schatz. Whilst some other players struggled to retreat to an onside position whilst MR were counter-attacking, this happened several times.

Faagase #1; Mafi #2; Kite #3; as I previously mentioned should be the starting front-row for next week, in my view. It would be probably one of the most intimidating front-rows around, basing this on pure size. And Brisbane won two scrum penalties when these three were on the field. Whilst in the First-Half the starting front-row was completely demolished, with one lost scrum resulting in a Melbourne try.

I still think City are potentially a very good side. Just some sloppy areas need to be focused on, which I think Stiles will clean up. I know it was a shocking score-line, but I really didn't think it reflected the game.

Just on a side note: Why let Placid go to Melbourne? Far out he is good. And secondly, Steve Walsh's commentary was outstanding. It was more of a highlight than the football.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The one thing that struck me was the varying degrees of fitness displayed in the Brisbane team. This really stood out to me. You could tell by the level of involvement who the Super Rugby players were. I.e. Gill and Schatz. Whilst some other players struggled to retreat to an onside position whilst MR were counter-attacking, this happened several times.

This has been interesting for me too - having watched the Rams, Rays, and Eagles getting around for example, the difference in the back end of each half for each team is noticeable.

The number of pro-level players in the Eagles side (particularly the second row and back row) allows the whole team to keep going through, where the club guys playing are used to a slower pace and tend to get run over.

The Rams in particular have only just started to get the fitness up, but were up against a lot of club blokes in the Spirit game. Against both the Eagles and Vikings, they'd start with a hiss and a roar, then fade around the 30 minute mark. Second half look good again, but start to fade around 20-25, then fall off a cliff when the bench clubbies came on.

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
Some feedback on the NRC from Steve James Rugby writer for the UK Telegraph. Maybe the world is waking up!

Rugby union is far from perfect and rules on trial in Australia must be taken seriously

Results in the third-tier National Rugby Championship suggest that the rule changes being trialled there could be worthwhile - including a new scoring system

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...ial-in-Australia-must-be-taken-seriously.html[/URL]

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
great to see big feao get a start - he has been a rock in my humble opinion when he has come on late for the scrum - and faagase killed it against melbourne, a bit smaller then the others but far higher workrate then paraka or kite.

T

Tigers Tale

I assume at the time, RG knew that he had Khunt stitched up, and two fullbacks into one position doesn't go.especially with the Rebels running around with an open cheque book.
You can let it all out now tigerland

Jonah was very good until he went off injured last night.

T

Tigers Tale

Would love to see BCity a up by a fair margin with 20 to go and see Jack Mullins get 20 off the bench on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.