• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City - NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Agree tickets need to be 10-15 bucks. preferably 10 for students to go sit on the hill.

I like Bears but it's not original, I really hope whoever is in charge of naming the team (probably the QRU?) doesn't give us some stupid plastic name like the Brisbane Giants or Suns or any other manufactured marketing name.

On the subject of piss taking names I would love to see the Brisbane Ibises. I feel the Ibis' attitude to food is synonymous with the QLD/Brisbane attitude to the breakdown, get in there and make a mess!

I would love to see it given a traditional name. What about Ballymore/Brisbane RC?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I really like the name Brisbane City Bush Turkeys. The fucking things are everywhere and are somewhat unique to brisbane.

Plus bush turkeys are rugged and plucky - just like the copious quality openside flankers brisbane produces.

Not to mention a pain in the arse!

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
How much do you blokes reckon it will cost to attend these games?

10-15 bucks for a ticket and 5 bucks for a mid/heavy beer is most people price point I reckon.

5 buck beers and keep the bars open at ballymore after the game just like the old days. Build a good culture around this team and around these games and people support for the team will be a lot more resilient.

Given a Shute Shield game is $15, I would think $20-30 is the more likely price point particularly as many of the Clubs are hiring the Ovals.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Given a Shute Shield game is $15, I would think $20-30 is the more likely price point particularly as many of the Clubs are hiring the Ovals.

Reds games only cost $26, so this has to be cheaper than that because it is a lesser product. Furthermore the QRU owns ballymore which means the only fixed costs are staffing and maintenance.

I wouldnt pay more than 15 to sit on the hill and not more than 20 for a grandstand seat.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Tiger Tale put this in another forum, but I thought it was worth the repost here:

What are the two QLD NRC Squads going to look like?

Purely for discussion purposes I have compiled these lists - they are not intended to be complete or informative lists as I am not aware of every contender at the various clubs and I have tried to leave aside my Easts allegiances for once. Nor am I aware of what basis they will set the eligibility criteria for each side.

You will see once you put all the players from the various Reds squads in the mix that doesn't leave a hell of a lot of vacancies for the club toiler.

Brisbane
Player Position Squad Club
Pettowa Paraka 1 Prop WTS EAS
James Hanson 2 Hooker Reds UNI
Jono Owen 3 Prop Reds UNI
David McDuling 4 Lock Reds UNI
Ed O'Donoghue 5 Lock Reds WES
Eddie Quirk 6 Flanker Reds EAS
Michael Gunn 7 Flanker AUS U20s EAS
Curtis Browning 8 Flanker Reds UNI
Nick Frisby 9 Scrumhalf Reds GPS
Michael Harris 10 Inside Centre Reds UNI
Dom Shipperley 11 Wing Reds BROS
Ben Tapuai 12 Centre Reds SNB
Samuela Kerevi 13 Outside Centre ETS GPS
Lachie Turner 14 Wing Reds EAS
Jamie-Jerry Taulagi 15 Fullback Reds UNI
Sef Fa’agase R1 Prop WTS UNI
Alifeleti Kaitu'u R2 Hooker AUS U20s SOU
Kirwan Sanday R3 Prop QPR EAS
R4 Lock ???
R5 Lock ???
Adam Korczyk R6 Backrower QLD U20 UNI
Conor Mitchell R7 Backrower QLD U20 UNI
Jono Ellis R8 Backrower ??? GPS
Jack Mullins R9 Scrumhalf QPR EAS
Nigel Genia R9A Scrumhalf WTS WES
Sam Greene R10 Flyhalf WTS BROS
Nigel Ah Wong R11 Wing WTS SNB
Sam Johnson R12 Centre WTS GPS
Toby White R13 Outside Centre QPR EAS
Tom Banks R14 Wing AUS U20s UNI
Andy Muirhead R15 Fullback ??? SOU

Wallabies alligned to Brisbane
James Horwill 5 Lock Reds UNI
Liam Gill 7 Flanker Reds SNB
Jake Schatz 8 No. 8 Reds SNB
Quade Cooper 10 Flyhalf Reds SOU

Other QLD U20s not included above

Props: Markus Vanzati (Souths); Aaron Pleash (University of Queensland); Tom Moloney (Brothers); Ben Tarr (Souths); Dylan Sikameti (GPS)

Hookers: Francois Postal (Brothers)

Locks: Terrin Walls (Brothers)

Backrow:; Joe Wrampling (Sunnybank); David Findlay-Henaway (Souths)

Halfbacks: Adam Deck (Easts); James Tuttle (GPS)

Flyhalves: Patrick James (Brothers)

Centres: Levi Aumua (GPS); Giles Beveridge (Brothers); Nigel Tanuvasa (Souths)

Outside Backs: Gareth Kalell (University of Queensland); Isaiah Mosese (Brothers)

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Levi Aumua was a BGS boy from a few years back, and was a huge reason I started enjoying First XV matches in high school.

This is his grade 12 highlight tape.

Really keen to see him succeed at the next level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting the inclusion of his last 2 tackles which were not legal. Arguably 1 red and 1 yellow. I hope he has sorted that out if he wants to progress.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I really like the brisbane Brewers. Sadly that won't get the go ahead due to QLD being a nanny state and it promoting "irresponsible" drinking and "antisocial behaviour"

Brisbane Knights is a good idea. Due to Brisbanites, lack of other Rugby Union Knights teams and it's conotations of honor, strength and fight etc.
Perhaps a talented graphic designer could come up with a suit of amour suited to our wonderful climate.

Brisbane Bears wouldn't work because a koala isn't a bear, has been used before, and is the State's rugby symbol.

Some of my ideas: Brisbane Baysiders, Brisbane Bucks, South-East Queensland Crushers

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes we in Sydney pay to attend Shute Shield games. Manly Marlins charge $25 a game ( $100 for a season membership). It has meant that in 2012 they posted a profit of $250k and in 2014 $150k, the bulk of which has been contributed to a foundation which will provide the club with an annual income forever
Do you not pay to see Premier Rugby in Brisbane?
I actually love the name Ballymore RUFC for the city team. Surely no-one in QLD would be against that would they?

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Agree Crashy, I'm of the view that the animal names sound pretty meh unless they roll off the tongue nicely and are a cool animal (example: leicester Tigers, British and Irish Lions)

Ballymore RC/RUFC sounds slick, it's a club, it represents the Brisbane community etc

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think it needs to be Brisbane something, so that everyone from Brisbane identifies with it. Yes ballymore is the spiritual home of Rugby, but not everyone played on it in barefoot as a 7 year old, and used the 2 for one tickets with a free bottle of coke. This NRC needs to appeal to a broader audience then the diehards. Ballymore Tornados didnt work for a reason, try something else. Whats the defenition of insanity?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Fuckin oath east coast aces you have fucking nailed it. The valley more tornadoes was a good sounding name though.

Need I fucking clarify that "the Brisbane city bridge" is the best name so far! But baklymore aRUFF is the second place definitely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Agree Crashy, I'm of the view that the animal names sound pretty meh unless they roll off the tongue nicely and are a cool animal (example: leicester Tigers, British and Irish Lions)

Ballymore RC/RUFC sounds slick, it's a club, it represents the Brisbane community etc

Sorry mate but that sounds like a soccer club to me.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
No, Soccer clubs are "x FC"

Forgive me but I just don't buy into shitty plastic names. Unfortunately kids do for some reason. Also those English Soccer clubs all have fucking sick names... 'arsenal' 'chelsea'... in Australia they would have to be made into the Suncorp South-West London Suckerpunchers or something horrific like that.

What is wrong with RC/RUFC? The answer, doesn't appeal to kids in Australia?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Just putting RU in front of the FC doesn't stop it sounding like a soccer club. I'm far from being a kid & it doesn't appeal to me at all. However if that's the way they wanted to go it would be acceptable.
I'd be happy if it was plain old Brisbane City & the floral emblem on the jersey. Just like the rep sides of years past.

Andrew Jackson

Bob McCowan (2)
Agreed, keep it simple. Brisbane City is all that's required along with perhaps a river emblem? Leaving the fauna / flora for QLD country which I think is more appropriate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tend to agree with you there MickyDR. City v Country names by themselves would be fine. My favourites for mascots;

Brisbane River Fire (Potential colours - blue river, gold fire.)

Queensland Country Wedge-Tailed Eagles (largest bird of prey in Australia, can hunt together to take down an adult kangaroo. Colours?)

Status
Not open for further replies.