• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City - NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Ah yes the GPS swimming music, one of my favourites.

GPS swimming is again an example of a brilliant atmosphere. Played inside the confines of Chandler it gets Raucous as the 9 schools compete. TO make things even better in between races they put this on :

Terrace used to go nuts and dance like you would normally see a bloke tanked in the Valley after 10 brewskies. Great stuff

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
I
I don't mind the idea of each player having a song that is played when they score a try. If the player gets to pick the song it can be a bit of an insight into what they like.

I'm all for this as long as front rowers have to pick a Miley Cyrus Song.

No matter the name I'm gonna pick me up a season ticket and prod as many of my Aussie mates to do the same. Rugby in Australia needs the NRC to be successful and the NRC needs a fan base to succeed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently some coaching appointments to be announced next week. I suspect it won't be too surprising.

We will be having someone from the qru on the podcast in the next week or so to talk structure etc so any questions are welcome.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I was thinking of names, and how about 'Brisbane Beasts' and get the old Norths Sydney Bears logo going (or something similar)? Cheer leaders could be called 'sexy beasts'. :p I wouldn't mind the team wearing red & black. At least it's not associated with any club in Brisbane. View attachment 4753

Well Kenmore Bears would love this.

As much as I would love to see cheerleaders in the NRC I can't see this happening. It's a shame because there are plenty of talented dance studios who would love the work.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
You would expect all the WTS and EPS reds boys to be the better players in all of their teams. Guys like Kerevi, Kuridrani, Ready, Gunn etc.

Club boys that I reckon should get a look (from the clubs I know a bit about)
Uni - Fa'agase, Buchanan (definitely), De Guigand (perhaps, he's been bloody impressive), Connor Mitchell (maybe), Parker (outside chance).
Easts - All their EPS/WTS boys (e.g Gunn, Stolberg, Placid etc.). Maybe Brandon, Toby White and Berto
GPS - Not sure, there would be a few aside from their EPS/WTS blokes probably.
Brothers - Bond, Hyne, Greene, Others?
Norths - Mataitini

I don't know much about Souths, Wests and stuff, input would be appreciated.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
In that the Competition will be looking for a second side from Brisbane in the not too distant future, I expect the powers that be will not want to include the words 'Brisbane' or 'Ballymore' in the naming as this will diminish the opportunities for a later NRC team.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
In that the Competition will be looking for a second side from Brisbane in the not too distant future, I expect the powers that be will not want to include the words 'Brisbane' or 'Ballymore' in the naming as this will diminish the opportunities for a later NRC team.

If they don't allow the name Ballymore because they think it would be a smart idea to put a second team in the city at the exact same stadium then they have rocks for brains.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
If they don't allow the name Ballymore because they think it would be a smart idea to put a second team in the city at the exact same stadium then they have rocks for brains.

The thinking is that Ballymore is definitely the best venue to stage the NRC up here. So a second Brisbane side would probably also need to have the facilities ballymore offers, unless anyone can think of a suitable ground

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
The thinking is that Ballymore is definitely the best venue to stage the NRC up here. So a second Brisbane side would probably also need to have the facilities ballymore offers, unless anyone can think of a suitable ground
If the qru and ARU want this to come off with strong teams up here, Putting two new teams in the same area, let alone the same stadium with no real social demographic difference would be suicide. The same would happen if a second Brisbane nrl team played out of suncorp stadium, you'd have the Queensland version of Melbourne heart who no one cares about because there is nothing different about them.

It might well be a case of no second Brisbane team until a suitable venue is found.

T

Train Without a Station

Melbourne Terrace, are you at all familiar with the AFL and Melbourne and the NRL in Sydney?

T

Train Without a Station

In fact, I'll even go as far as the NBA in Los Angeles.

T

Train Without a Station

Valid point, though the nature of world sport has meant that these are the only comparisons we can look at as no new teams have been founded in existing regions which only have a single piece of infrastructure to service both.

Regardless, playing out of the same locations doesn't appear to have affected teams as they represent different geographical locations within a region, and play out of a central stadium.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
I guess the argument could be:
Why travel to X to support Y when Z play there and they are better/more successful - these new teams have no real reason for loyalty other than location (unless we see real links being forged to already existing club sides) and nowadays familes/individuals have a little if no ties to areas within cities and are just a likely to want to watch say South Adelaide as North Adelaide (random choice of city).

T

Train Without a Station

What needs to be remembered is that this support won't just pop up overnight. Might like it did not for many of these teams now. Collingwood and Richmond in the previous VFL didn't instantly have 60,000 members. It was worked at over years to develop. People don't support these teams because they live in Collingwood and Richmond. They are one of hundreds of suburbs in Melbourne. This support has grown through families. It also grows through satellite regions which they get involved in.

By forging links with clubs, schools, other suburbs teams would be able to start to grow this. No matter what though, it will take time.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Collingwood and Richmond still had average crowds of 20k+ in the post war years and 10k+ in the 20's.
The success of teams like these were because we still identified with regions and people had a much smaller world that they survived within - this tribalism continues today but it is much harder to generate such feelings towards new clubs.
Without a social or ethic basis for a club (neither of which a union club could ever seriously attempt) geographic lines really need to be definite and sharing a stadium and/or training facilities blurs these lines.

That being said I would happily watch one team one week and the next the next if I couldnt go to away games (I cant see many NRC games being worth interstate travel) so I dont think its as big a problem for rugby as it would be for other sports as we dont have a deep hatred for all other teams in a comp.
Perhaps one or two but generally we all just want to watch a game at the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.