• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City - NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I can't see how 2 teams playing out of Ballymore in principle could be considered bad, or even manufactured.

The problem generally with this type of arrangement is the proximity of the stadium to the regions represented, and therefore the difficulty in getting there for fans. If Ballymore was right in the centre of the 2 regions, I would find it odd for anybody to care that on alternate weeks the team from the region over played there.

It's probably a hard comparison to draw with VFL teams for reasons you have outlined above. That's the type of support the NRL would dream of now. If the BRL managed that support it would likely still be around in it's previous form.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
I can't see how 2 teams playing out of Ballymore in principle could be considered bad, or even manufactured.

The problem generally with this type of arrangement is the proximity of the stadium to the regions represented, and therefore the difficulty in getting there for fans. If Ballymore was right in the centre of the 2 regions, I would find it odd for anybody to care that on alternate weeks the team from the region over played there.

It's probably a hard comparison to draw with VFL teams for reasons you have outlined above. That's the type of support the NRL would dream of now. If the BRL managed that support it would likely still be around in it's previous form.

Because if Brisbane X is doing well and Brisbane Y is terrible, and they have no difference in identity or location other than one being X and the other being Y, there is no reason for people to chose to support Brisbane Y and thus they plummet both on and off the field.

Brisbane City, although they will be playing under a different name, will still be the team seen to represent the (inner) City of Brisbane. They will have first chance to lock in fans, sponsors and players. They will train in the main rugby facilities in the area and Ballymore will be claimed as theirs.

If you try and put a second team in their however many years later, then they are immediately competing for the same pool of fans and coverage sponsors. They immediately become the poor brother and the whole exercise becomes pointless as they would add nothing substantially new to the competition.

Let Brisbane City have Ballymore and any new team in SEQ should be placed outside the inner city

T

Train Without a Station

Melbourne Terrace that's just incorrect.

In Melbourne:

Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne all play out of the MCG.

North Melbourne, Footscray, St Kilda, Essendon, Carlton all play out of Etihad Stadium.

In Sydney:

South Sydney, Canterbury, Wests all play out of ANZ Stadium.

In Los Angeles:

The Lakers and the Clippers play out of the Staples Centre.

None of that occurs. The reason that does not occur is because they all represent (Not sure about the Lakers and Clippers though) different geographical regions, yet play out of one central location.

If you slice it poorly it's not going to work, but anything done poorly will not work. If Ballymore is the central location, then there's no reason why people on the north side, who have a side based in the north, training in the north, engaging with the public, juniors and schools in the north, will suddenly follow a team based in the south because they are going better.

All the examples you use are what would happen if the regions aren't divided and represented well.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
All those NRL and AFL teams you listed (i don't follow yank sports so can't comment on LA) have totally different circumstances, all of them started in their own distinct area and stadium and were very much the local team of their communities. They only all moved to the same central grounds after nearly a 100 years of existence when they could no longer afford to renovate their own stadiums to match demand.

You talk about needing to find a way to split the city but how exactly would you split Brisbane with Ballymore being the central point? The city doesn't split quite right in any way with Ballymore in the middle. The first team is going to be called "Brisbane something" and is a strong bet to not favour any geographic area in particular. They are sure to lock up support around the inner city and Ballymore in particular.

Lets say the ARU and QRU do as you say and put a second team in at Ballymore and pretend they want to represent everything North of Breakfast creek for example. Ballymore is hardly central for North Brisbane, in fact it's on the very edge, meaning the new team is expecting fans to travel a fair way to support a team that supposedly is meant to be based in North Brisbane and instead just happens to be right in the middle of the main area of support for the rival team. That just sounds like a disaster for a teams future tbh.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ballymore is more north than south. About 5 mins to brothers. 10 to Norths. 15 to GPS. Piss easy.

T

Train Without a Station

Well Melbourne Terrace, it's a shame we can't just build infrastructure capable of seating 5,000+ supporters, offering a level of corporate support and media facilities to suit the exact suburban locations of teams in a comp that may not survive. Unfortunately until then, we will need to work around this infrastructure.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Well Melbourne Terrace, it's a shame we can't just build infrastructure capable of seating 5,000+ supporters, offering a level of corporate support and media facilities to suit the exact suburban locations of teams in a comp that may not survive. Unfortunately until then, we will need to work around this infrastructure.

It will be a situation where I can see Brisbane city split into two teams when finance & support allow for it.
And I see Ballymore shared between the two teams for their games which the NRC can accommodate in its scheduling.
I also believe that the two sides should do what GPS rugby club did years ago, for their relative home training grounds, and share a training ground with an established 1st grade cricket club. In GPS's case it was with Valleys Cricket Club at Ashgrove. So for the northern team, why not say Toombul Cricket club at Nundah as a possible. And have a similiar situation for the south side.
Anyone have any ideas for the south side?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Anyway..... Anyone have any ideas when/where we will start to see/hear something about team name, logos, branding, players etc. Anything at all? There seems to be very little happening for a comp that is due to start soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Was just thinking the same thing Scoey.

For a comp that starts in a few months it would have been great to have some concrete info and promotion happening. It is highly concerning that nothing has been said since the team announcement.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Has there been any promotion through the Reds members emails? I will admit to not reading them all (way too many for my spare time) but I hadn't noticed any.
It seems like a few of the other teams have got names and logos at least or is this because they have just recycled the old ARC ones?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
No news on this. They might want to get things going as I know a few players who think they are obviously not wanted so are looking at other things to do after the club season.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
There has been a couple of Premier boys to to Shute Shield for an opportunity.

Maile Nguamo and Andy Muirhead went early.

NationalRugbyChamps

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi Guys and Gals,
Just to weigh in on the 2 city teams debate and ground sharing etc. AFL's Freo and WC are a good example. WC were an established side when Freo turned up and they shared a ground. They had no problem getting supporters (usually the underdog followers). The problem with Brissie is the Ballymore and lack of infrastructure getting there as has been told ad nauseum. I think 2 sides is more than viable, possibly 3 (SW corridor/Ipswich?) in the future.

As for promotion of the new competition, has anything happened? Reg tweeted me a few weeks ago something was happening shortly in regards to coaching appointments and team announcements but still nothing. Any news please would be great.

Cheers

T

Tigers Tale

The QRU has released the player allocation/selection criteria, it is as follows:

In relation to the allocation of Players to the two QLD NRC Teams the following considerations will be taken into account:

Requirements as per current CBA and NRC player contracting guidelines.

Allocation of players will be based on the following:

§ Place of birth
§ Junior Club Representation
§ Senior School Representation
§ Club where majority of Senior Rugby has been played

Further to the above, the following High Performance considerations will be taken into account:

1. Ensure there is no positional conflict for contracted players in any of the teams
2. Player retention
3. Development of key succession plan players
4. Developing key combination
5. Player availability
a. Level of experience
b. Injury status

Further it has been confirmed that Stiles will be the head coach of the Brisbane team and Meehan the Country side.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
It makes a great deal of sense for that to be the coaching arrangement. What I want to know is who are the players, where will they be playing and how do I bloody support them.

The QRU and ARU have collectively really dropped the ball. They should be getting ads on TV, radio and the internet stirring up interest in this comp which starts in a few months. To generate growth you need interest, to generate interest you need publicity and players to be known so fans can get on board.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
he QRU and ARU have collectively really dropped the ball. They should be getting ads on TV, radio and the internet stirring up interest in this comp which starts in a few months. To generate growth you need interest, to generate interest you need publicity and players to be known so fans can get on board.

And to generate advertising you need money.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The QRU and ARU have collectively really dropped the ball. They should be getting ads on TV, radio and the internet stirring up interest in this comp which starts in a few months. To generate growth you need interest, to generate interest you need publicity and players to be known so fans can get on board.
Considering how 'well' the June Test Series was 'promoted' I don't think you should set the bar too high for the third tier.
A number of my mates who you might describe as casual rugby fans (only watch the Wallabies coz it's on FTA) didn't know the tests had started. Not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.