• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
No All Blacks will be released to play 10s

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11787319

The Herald understands the national body has instructed the franchises that All Blacks cannot be made available for the two-day tournament as it will be in breach of the players collective agreement. The agreement stipulates players must be given a 12-week stand-down from rugby, automatically ruling out the 36-strong squad from the Australian tournament.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Cheers for the response, I spose it's player management as well being a long season for those elite players, I was just hoping to see some key players that would suit this tens game. Not to be by the sounds of it. Bit disappointing for the viewers and spectators coming through the gates. Israel Folau promotes the game but doesn't show?? I hope I'm wrong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
from the organisers:

Duco Events is surprised by the comments reported in the media regarding the player makeup of the New Zealand teams that will contest the Brisbane Global Rugby Tens.

We have received the provisional squads from competing teams and can confirm that those submitted by the New Zealand Super clubs contain ten players who participated in last year’s All Blacks end of season European tour – including the tournament’s contracted ambassadors.

These players have indicated a strong desire to play in the tournament, and their Super Rugby clubs have selected them. These selections are now subject to ratification by New Zealand Rugby.

We are negotiating with New Zealand Rugby in good faith to confirm these selections.

We have also received the provisional squads for the participating Australian Super Rugby clubs. These extremely strong squads contain well in excess of 20 Wallabies, and many stars of the future.

Final squads from all participating teams are due to be confirmed until early next month. Across the board these will contain a large number of current international rugby stars.

The Brisbane Global Rugby Tens will be a tremendous celebration of rugby involving many of the game’s most exciting players.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Considering that this is a Lions year, I'd be very surprised if the NZRU lets even a few All Blacks go for a run around in the Queensland heat and humidity.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Both Dagg & Folau,. The event has been promoted well on TV but it would be a shame if the guns didn't front. Maybe give exposure to up and coming players in the mix! I'm certainly looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Considering the cost of some of the higher tiered tickets, I'd say if NZRU can't come to an agreement and let a couple of the top squad All Blacks play, it will have quite an adverse affect on sales.

It has definitely been marketed as a fun, but still high end event and the prices reflect this.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm disappointed you can't get single day tickets - just dual day tickets.

Really?? That's ridiculous.

I'm continuously amazed by the ticketing approaches of events like this. 90% of people are going to want to attend one day of this event. It's a new concept, it's summer, and people have shit they need to do on their weekend.

To only offer 2-day tickets is a bit insulting, and risks kneecapping the event before it even starts. No to mention the fact that a decent seat costs $139.

One of the best things the ARU have ever done is the pricing on the first year of the Sydney 7s. Most of the ground was GA, and tickets were $30 a day. You could get a good reserved seat for $40-$50. What happened? The place sold out and the atmosphere was incredible. They set a record for highest ever food/drink turnover at the SFS and people loved it.

This year they've kept the same structure, but bumped up the prices slightly. But people loved the first year enough they don't really care, and it's going to sell out again.

If you were Duco, why the hell wouldn't you replicate that??? Instead they take the approach which basically ruined the Wellington 7s.

I honestly hope this event is a massive success with packed crowds, but from this I don't think the signs are good that that will happen.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Would it not be the case that the players can't be compelled to play, but are free to do so if they choose to? A bit like the way player welfare ceases to be an issue when Barbarians jerseys are being handed out each November/ December........

EDIT: That said, I'd be surprised if the franchises weren't under instructions to pick no more AB than necessary to meet their contractual obligations.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think this may shed some more light on where the AB availability/ non-availability situation is at:

"The collective agreement between the players and New Zealand Rugby gives a mandatory 12-week break to current All Blacks...... Dispensations are only given if there is unanimous agreement between a player, his franchise and the NZR.........."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11787551

I suspect the situation re: Wobs players would be much the same.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I suspect a few ABs that didn't play in the last test may get a released , but personally I am pretty happy if they not, big year this year and don't really need AB players getting injured playing in a semi serious tournament when most a going to be just getting back to training and won't be anywhere near match fit. Didn't I hear even the League boys are starting to put their boys in cotton wool for the 9s? And they play a lot shorter season!I understand it a chance for good promotion of rugby early season over here , but International players don't need more rugby,, if anything they need less!

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^
Good to see the NZRU approach the corporate side of things with the same sense of transparency and fairness that the AB's approach playing rugby.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
BRUMBIES SQUAD FOR BRISBANE GLOBAL RUGBY TENS

Henry Speight, Tevita Kuridrani, Kyle Godwin, Tomàs Cubelli, Tom Banks, Scott Sio, Nic Jooste, Joe Powell, Andrew Smith, Lausii Taliauli, Aidan Toua, Jordan Jackson-Hope, Robbie Abel, Allan Ala'alatoa, Chris Alcock, Jarrad Butler, Tom Staniforth, Blake Enever, Saia Fainga'a, Lolo Fakaosilea, Ben Hyne, Leslie Leulua'iali'i-Makin, Nic Mayhew, Jordan Smiler, Stephen Larkham (wildcard), Andrew Walker (wildcard)

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Man, I really couldn't give a shit how many, if any All Blacks are rocking up to this event, they ain't what makes these types of 'tournaments' enjoyable at all.

I'm more concerned about what beer, food and value I'm going to get out of buying a ticket. So far, I've refrained from buying a ticket as I don't want to spend 2 days at Suncorp in the heat, drinking light beers which cost me $10 for a can eating some reheated chicken on a soggy Red Rooster wrap.

It could be the U20's running around on the field and I wouldn't care, because I ain't buying a ticket based on whether Beauden Barrett is playing. I want an enjoyable day out, watching footy in the sun with some not-so-shit food and beer (more importantly, so far what the event currently has been marketed at doesn't make for a compelling case for me to get the missus to come along).

Status
Not open for further replies.