• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Man, I really couldn't give a shit how many, if any All Blacks are rocking up to this event, they ain't what makes these types of 'tournaments' enjoyable at all.

I'm more concerned about what beer, food and value I'm going to get out of buying a ticket. So far, I've refrained from buying a ticket as I don't want to spend 2 days at Suncorp in the heat, drinking light beers which cost me $10 for a can eating some reheated chicken on a soggy Red Rooster wrap.

It could be the U20's running around on the field and I wouldn't care, because I ain't buying a ticket based on whether Beauden Barrett is playing. I want an enjoyable day out, watching footy in the sun with some not-so-shit food and beer (more importantly, so far what the event currently has been marketed at doesn't make for a compelling case for me to get the missus to come along).

You could always do what my mates and I did at the GC 7s and the Sydney 7s thereafter - flask of rum down ya dacks, walk in and buy a bottle of coke and a beer, drink the beer, use as a mixing cup, how good, thank you very much, cya later stadium prices.

Edit: then again you may be older than I with slightly more dignity.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BRUMBIES SQUAD FOR BRISBANE GLOBAL RUGBY TENS

Henry Speight
Tevita Kuridrani
Kyle Godwin
Tomás Cubelli
Tom Banks
Scott Sio
Nic Jooste
Joe Powell
Andrew Smith
Lausii Taliauli
Aidan Toua
Jordan Jackson-Hope
Robbie Abel
Allan Ala'alatoa
Chris Alcock
Jarrad Butler
Tom Staniforth
Blake Enever
Saia Fainga’a
Lolo Fakaosilea
Ben Hyne
Leslie Leulua’iali’i-Makin
Nic Mayhew
Jordan Smiler
Stephen Larkham (wildcard)
Andrew Walker (wildcard)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I was going for one day (with the bride) as we have commitments on the other.

But I will not buy a 2 day ticket at $139 (whatever) to attend one day.

No big deal I suppose. We are just 2 rugby people who won't be there at all because of shit ticket marketing (IMO)

No doubt the 20 ish year old marketing gurus don't give a flying fuck about mugs like me and will fill the stadium with 52,000 patrons on both days.

Good luck.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not offering 1 day tickets is insane. What are they thinking? Surely they'll make them available in the next week or so.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I wanted to go with my boys but they have cricket on Saturday (and now a work commitment has come up for me) so Sunday was our only option.

Won't be going either day now unfortunately.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I've got no idea about projected crowd numbers but if they get 25,000 fully paid (and not the freebies) over the 2 days I would be surprised.

The thing is that large crowd numbers and the atmosphere they create are instrumental to the success of the tournament, both from players' and supporters perspectives ( as well as the very important sponsors)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
No big deal I suppose. We are just 2 rugby people who won't be there at all because of shit ticket marketing (IMO)

No doubt the 20 ish year old marketing gurus don't give a flying fuck about mugs like me and will fill the stadium with 52,000 patrons on both days.

The marketing gurus (20 year old or otherwise) don't decide the ticketing strategy. I actually think the event has been marketed pretty well, especially here in NSW.

The responsibility for this rests with Duco.

Sadly this is what happens when an event is run by a promoter whose only obligation is to their own bottom line. No regard for the fans at all.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agree Barb, though to be fair if the promoter who doesn't care about the fans doesn't run it , it doesn't happen.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
How does the ticketing situation compare to the Auckland 9's who are run by the same company?

Do you need to buy a 2 day pass for that event?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
A quick browse of the ticketek page for Auckland 9s seems to suggest they also sell only 2 day tickets.

Surely for the 10s they will offer single day tickets on the day, at least on the Sunday. They'd be losing out if they were turning away people on Sunday who decided last minute they wanted to rock up and watch the finals, especially if the Reds make it.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hurricanes definitely won't be bringing their front line test players.

No marquee Hurricanes will be breaking their collective agreements to play Mickey Mouse footy.

Former World Cup winners Cory Jane and Nehe Milner-Skudder, along with the national team's end-of-year-tour add-ons Jordie Barrett and Vaea Fifita, will be as close as the Hurricanes get to taking their "stars" to Suncorp Stadium. The team's frontline All Blacks - Dane Coles, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Ardie Savea and Julian Savea - will instead make their 2017 debuts at the Border club in Waverley on February 17, as scheduled.

"I never included any of those [five] guys in my thinking or calculations at all," Hurricanes coach Chris Boyd said of the team's tens squad.

Coles and company will be among the 14 players Boyd leaves behind, to prepare to play the Crusaders in Waverley and then the team's first competition match against the Sunwolves in Tokyo on February 25.

Boyd denied the event was a nuisance but had no idea what the rules of 10 a-side rugby are and wouldn't look to learn until the team fly over for the February 11 and 12 tournament.

"I guess it's somewhere between sevens and 15s; logical maths would say that," said Boyd.

He'd like the tens to be a success, just not at the expense a good result against the Sunwolves.

"For us, all roads lead to Tokyo."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ll-blacks-to-feature-in-hurricanes-tens-squad

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My guess is that we won't see much of the Wallabies or first XV players included in this squad in either of the lead up two trial matches. The Tens might be used as the main conditioning run for those involved.

Autograph signing and posing for selfies seems like the major involvement the star players are likely to have.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sadly this is what happens when an event is run by a promoter whose only obligation is to their own bottom line. No regard for the fans at all.

But is this really the best strategy to maximise their bottom line? Surely the majority of people would want to go for 1 day and not many of them would buy a 2 day ticket that's going to go to waste. They're relying on people going out of their way to find others to pay half and go the other day. They'd also be able to sell the 1 day tickets at a higher per day price!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm planning on going both day. Saturday with a group of mates, will be looking at ground pass outs for my food choices. A few guys I'm going with have indicated they won't go on Sunday so I might grab a couple of tickets and take my kids on the Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.