• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interesting comment FP. It looks to me that the Reds have put together a quite strong squad, especially in the forwards where they look particularly strong and well suited to 10s. I think they will be very competitive and expect them to be among the sides fighting it out at the end.

Apart from Quade, who will be a big loss and who I think is going round in the boxing ring instead, who else would you regard to be a significant omission?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's only really the halves. QC (Quade Cooper) and Frisby.

I think Caleb Timu would potentially tear it up too but now sure of his injury status.

But you're right. That's pretty much it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting comment FP. It looks to me that the Reds have put together a quite strong squad, especially in the forwards where they look particularly strong and well suited to 10s. I think they will be very competitive and expect them to be among the sides fighting it out at the end.

Apart from Quade, who will be a big loss and who I think is going round in the boxing ring instead, who else would you regard to be a significant omission?

This is a Reds event and they have left out their highest profile player so he can make some cash at another boxing farce against another nuffy

It isn't a good look, no ABs, a couple ancients filling up the the numbers at the ponies ................. I shudder to think who Toulon will send down with the six nations being played the same weekend and big games in the following weeks

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Is there something wrong with Frisby? In my mind he would absolutely tear up the turf in a 10's format.

Personally very unhappy with the exclusion of QC (Quade Cooper).

Toulon was announced already. It's academy/squad forwards and a mix of Fiji's current best backs and the best backs of yesteryear Australia :p

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well, with that team (with a few notable exceptions) the Reds don't give a rat's arse about possibly winning the competition. No Quade is a joke - it's not like he's played much rugby in the last 6 months and deserves a rest

Looks like the trial against the Rebs is a lot more important.

Another good reason to stay at home (for me)

I was wondering if it was time out after his boxing. Which makes sense as he wouldnt be allowed back in the ring two weeks later I dont think. But the Rebels trial is only a couple of days later - you'd imagine he will front there.

Frisby too. Does 10s work without your best halves?

T

TOCC

This is a Reds event and they have left out their highest profile player so he can make some cash at another boxing farce against another nuffy

No It's not a Reds event... and do you know if that's why he was left out or just jumping to conclusion? Why was Frisby and Moore left out, are they boxing as well?

T

TOCC

It isn't a good look, no ABs, a couple ancients filling up the the numbers at the ponies ....I shudder to think who Toulon will send down with the six nations being played the same weekend and big games in the following weeks

Toulon have already announced their squad negative nancy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

It isn't a good look, no ABs, a couple ancients filling up the the numbers at the ponies ....... I shudder to think who Toulon will send down with the six nations being played the same weekend and big games in the following weeks

Brumbies have announced a squad of 26 including the two ancients you refer to, both of whom are still actively playing rugby at a competitive level. Included also are 8 Wallabies. Hardly an indication they are not taking the day seriously.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No It's not a Reds event. and do you know if that's why he was left out or just jumping to conclusion? Why was Frisby and Moore left out, are they boxing as well?

Everything to do with International rugby in Queensland is essentially a "Reds" event, whether they like it or not.

I would have thought they would have wanted to go all in for this to get the fans back on side and get some early momentum after a couple of shitty seasons.

T

TOCC

Everything to do with International rugby in Queensland is essentially a "Reds" event, whether they like it or not.

Right, so when the Wallabies play at Homebush that's actually a Waratahs event?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Right, so when the Wallabies play at Homebush that's actually a Waratahs event?

Well, maybe better described as provincial, (although I can remember Glen Ella being booed at Ballymore playing for the Wobs) but the point still stands, if this was in Sydney I would be deeply disappointed if the Tahs weren't giving it all. Win the thing and the momentum starts early; lose and same old, same old

You guys are happy to see it as a bit of fun and a trial, so be it.

T

TOCC

It's still not a "Reds event"

You guys are happy to see it as a bit of fun and a trial, so be it.

Oh geez, don't get your knickers in a twist, you'd already called this comp farcical before Quade was omitted from the team. Why is Kerevi, Houston, Simmons and Slipper playing if it's just a bit of fun?

It's still a bloody good Reds team IMO, we don't have the luxury of as many Wallabies up here in QLD, but the majority of them will be running out in this comp. including Australia's form Super Rugby player of 2016; Samu Kerevi.

T

TOCC

, if this was in Sydney I would be deeply disappointed if the Tahs weren't giving it all. Win the thing and the momentum starts early; lose and same old, same old

It's still been broadcast in Sydney, given the bulk of the TV viewers will come from NSW, a figure likely eclipsing crowd attendance, does that mean the Waratahs will be sending their best players, to build momentum and and repay faith and good will to the fans?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why did anyone think this would be any different from the Auckland 9s? It's a preseason event that gets treated as part of the trials process.

The prize money on offer makes the teams take some interest but it's nowhere near enough to dramatically shift the focus of the season.

Some stars will play, others won't.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Toulon have already announced their squad negative nancy

all I have read is

Tuisova (EPIC )
Tuilagi (epic!)
JOC (James O'Connor) (epic)
Goromaru
Mitchell

but no nonu, gits or Gill

I wonder which forwards they will bring? Havn't seen a full list yet. Have had some BR issues, but will hopefully see legends like Lobbe, Juan Smith, Saulo (fiji prop) Samu Manoa!. Doubt we'll see Vermulean or Gorgodze :(

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
It's been posted on the thread, on page 12. No big names in the pack.

oh wow only 2 of their forwards are even listed in the Toulon Squad on their website. Must be academy squad players...bit lame. Thats like the Reds using NRC players instead of Reds players.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's been posted on the thread, on page 12. No big names in the pack.

No surprise. I still cannot for the life of me understand what is in it for NH clubs/franchises, whatever. Money? They don't need it. Fame? Nup. Player exposure? Doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.