• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

agreed. Was really impressed with Hoopert. Is he more a TH or LH in proper rugby?

LHP, he has had big wraps on his for years but had some pretty bad injuries over the past 2 years, shoulder reconstruction last year and knee injuries the year before, thats why he wasn't considered for Australian U20s last year.

T

TOCC

^^^^^ any idea why they scheduled it for Friday & Saturday ? I'd have thought Saturday & Sunday would be better crowd-wise. It would be a shame for Aus to lose it altogether, IMO it's more likely to attract new XV's supporters than 7's does.

To avoid the heat they moved it to night games, I guess they figured a Fri-Sat option for night games was better then Sat-Sun night games.

Perhaps like the Sevens, these sort of events are better served by rotating around annually, Australasian fans seem to be a fickle bunch.

T

TOCC

Is it just me or do all the Aus sides just look "slow"

Slow to react
Slow as in lacking speed across the team

After watching the Sevens quite a bit the past few weeks, these guys look like absolutely plods, even the backs and backrowers who should have a bit of mobility about them seem to just lumber about.

Australian forwards when they get the ball seem to get tunnel vision, all they look at is the defender in front of them and they run straight at them, not into space but into the defender. And naturally they seem to lose out in the battle of physicality anyway.

Very few Australian forward catch the ball and remain aware of the players around them. Watch a large number of the kiwi forwards and their heads are on swivels, they catch the ball and if they need to they take contact they they do. But they're also aware of the support players around them, off-load where they need to or pass when required.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is funny, I remember in pre season with all grades, massive games of touch football with everyone catching and passing. With serious, jovial abuse when anyone screwed up

You learnt to play for space, play heads up and count numbers. Is isn't hard

T

TOCC

And support play is the other thing Australian players struggle at, you get a number of half-breaks but they go unrewarded because there's no one in support, or if they are they're poorly positioned by being too flat or one the wrong side

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It is funny, I remember in pre season with all grades, massive games of touch football with everyone catching and passing. With serious, jovial abuse when anyone screwed up

You learnt to play for space, play heads up and count numbers. Is isn't hard

I've played touch football against one current and a number of ex-reds forwards of all shapes and sizes. They absolutely dominate against us mere mortals. They have the skills when there's a bit of time. It's doing it against other pros that they struggle with

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
That awkward moment when everyone is praising the Waratahs yesterday and shitting on the Reds, but the Reds make finals and the Waratahs don't.
Okay, maybe I spoke too soon, anyone know the for and against the Waratahs need to make finals?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dismal, apparently Pau are following Toulon's lead of last year and hitting it hard off-field.

WO, word from the funders of this event is that this may well be it's last. At least in QLD

Geez well Pau must of laid off it last night, as they knocked the Clan over pretty well, actually think they put in a little more effort than Toulon last year!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know it only 10s and preseason etc etc, but can I go on again about Ethan Blackadder, geez I like this boy, huge workrate,is never out of game which is what impressed me when he was with Makos last year. Not calling him an AB or anything just is the kind of player I love seeing on the rugby field, and will certainly be pretty handy for the Crusaders over next couple of years!

T

TOCC

Reds playing the Chiefs in the QF
DVp4ytTU0AAFMt5.jpg

T

TOCC

Reds seem to be a different team on day 2, few of those players who were rather limp yesterday are in much better form today, overall team cohesion is much better as well

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Half of the sides in the qualifiers are wearing blue strips (Blues, Waratahs, Hurricanes). Ergo, blue is the winningest Super Rugby colour this year. So you all know what that means, right?

Yep.

You got it.

The Blue Bulls are gonna win Super Rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I know it only 10s and preseason etc etc, but can I go on again about Ethan Blackadder, geez I like this boy, huge workrate,is never out of game which is what impressed me when he was with Makos last year. Not calling him an AB or anything just is the kind of player I love seeing on the rugby field, and will certainly be pretty handy for the Crusaders over next couple of years!

Is he available for a poach?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
fahhkin hell the fix was in for that Reds v Chiefs game. Bloke put BOTH feet in touch for his try in the corner, fucken play on. First try was a clear knock-on too. FFS Shiggins, help me out here. Queensland Rugby Union with the hometown payoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.