• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The day's winding to a close now - most of the crowd left after the canes v clan game (says something about the makeup here today in queeNZland)

Has been a cracker of a day though, I think there'll be plenty of us struggling to back up again tomorrow though..
The NRL press are watching mate. We need you to take one for the team.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Bulls up.. Brumbies playing set piece in 10s .sigh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bulls too. Somewhat disappointing with what is available to them. Might have made a difference if they had made Pollard available. Good to see Potgeiter in Aus again. Obi stood out more than Gellant, Ulengo and Ismaiel. Not at allsomething I would have guessed.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Who gives a fuck what the Journo's think anyway... print is a dying medium and news.com is basic click-bait rubbish. No one pays much heed to them anymore, Trump, Brexit etc established that.

Was a nice way to kick off the Rugby season again. Would have gone if it was in Sydney. Wouldn't be too fussed about the Aussie sides performance. Andrew Walker took to the field for god sake. Man is ancient. Clearly more of a throw around than a priority for all teams involved.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Unsurprising, that's an NRL reporter. Although the crowd isn't huge, they took some effort to only show the empty part in the sunlight in their photos.

Balanced journalism as always from News Corp.

And at like midday (if you look closely at the top of the 1st picture you can see several people standing IN THE SHADE) - many more turned up at around 4pm from watching on TV.

Tyson Otto, shame shame shame

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I thought the crowd turned out pretty decent. I was sitting on the side where the sun was, and the whole section basically moved away as the sun came across in the morning. And so they opened up the top section on the end and most people moved up there or just squashed at the back. Then as the sun went down in the arvo, that section filled back up. I reckon the bottom section right round the stadium was about 3/4 full between 4-5pm. There was a good atmosphere for a bit. But I reckon majority of crowd were from NZ. After their teams finished people started to leave.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Yeah that was pretty concerning from the Reds. Exactly the same issues as last season, they never even looked like scoring. It was a long way from a full strength team but then so were the Crusaders.

Unfortunately, the game plan still seems to be 'Give it to Kerevi', even when Samu is not playing. Hopefully Quade can fix that.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently a 28,000 crowd yesterday.

And I'd suggest most coaches are approaching the Tens like this. Don't read too much into the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This clown watched a different nines to the glimpses I saw:
Where rugby league has thrived in a gala day format with players given additional space to play razzle dazzle football, the rugby tens’ concept simply comes across as a clunkier, more congested and less meaningful version of rugby sevens.
The pedestrian, dumbed-down play the ball killed any "razzle dazzle" for me

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In one fell swoop this up and coming journalist has tarnished the credibility he will have for future reporting in my eyes. It is a shame because he would have just been following 'orders'.
Page views through the roof though...

Hatchet jobs do pay the bills.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The NRL press are watching mate. We need you to take one for the team.

Yup, him & ~30K of his closest mates, can't run the risk of Day 2 being another "fizzer" :)

In one fell swoop this up and coming journalist has tarnished the credibility he will have for future reporting in my eyes. It is a shame because he would have just been following 'orders'.

Just presenting alternative facts, it's the in thing dontchaknow.......

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
How about that Radike Samo tackle!

That was my biggest bone with that piece. Trashing the wild card concept despite the performances of Samo (great tackle) and Andrew Walker.

Maybe he doesn't get that rugby crowds do enjoy the nostalgia aspect? The classic Wallabies v Fiji was one of the highlights of the Sydney Sevens for me.

If only Turinui and Latham had pulled through

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No Day 1 highlights package as such but there are a "best tries" compilation & match-by-match highlights:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=brisbane tens rugby&sm=3

This is my try of the day, mostly because I had my doubts whether Digby at 31 was such a good signing.

One swallow doesn't make a summer & all that but it's an encouraging start.

And just to show I'm not (much) biased, this has gotta be hit of the day.

Instinctively looked to see which way the Chiefs were running :)

Reactions: SDR

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Was very curious to watch, have heard of but never seen tens before. I have to admit I really don't get sevens. It is waaaay too much like touch footy.

Boy, what a difference between the two games, thank god. Still has the elements of what (I think) appeals to others about sevens, tho I don't honestly know what appeals, but enough of a similarity with the 15s to add so many more dimensions to the game. I guess ultimately that is what I don't like about sevens, so one dimensional. That one dimensionality basically puts it into the same bucket as league for me.

Why play checkers when you can play chess?

It is something that is often talked about, rugby is a game 'for all body types', as if that in and of itself is what is of value. But watching the tens brought home to me that having the fatties run around with the backs is a huge part of the variability of the game, just not writ as large as it is in fifteens.

With sevens, you don't need proper frontrowers, as there are no real scrums, so everyone has the same build and SBW as an example can 'play' frontrower. Well, what does that remind us of, backs playing as frontrowers because there are no real scrums in the game?

There is no way I could have watched as much rugby yesterday if it were sevens, my max is about ten minutes. I watched basically all of it and looking forward to today.

I think rugby backed the wrong horse with sevens, to the non rugby follower who (say) falls in love with sevens I simply cannot see them transferring necessarily to fifteens, the games are too dissimilar.

Fall in love with tens tho, and moving to fifteens is much more of a given.

So the question is, 'to the non follower which game would be more appealing, sevens or tens?' Obviously I feel tens is the far better game, but wonder what the real answer to that question is.

If you had the resources of World Rugby, ie at least a little bit of money, you could actually survey that and find real answers (sit down non followers and play them a game of sevens, then a game of tens, survey the results).

I bet it has never been done tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.