• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So.. you know Crockatt has a reputation and are going with it. Do you have any opinion on Sinkler at all?

Again, you seem to be pretty bloody comfortable sharing you own opinions whilst simultaneously throwing out "you guys in this mode". Would you like me to buy you some more cake?

Its funny Wallabies players have been refereed for years on reputation, sometimes it was deserved, not as deserved as Wyatt's but their careers were ended without the plaudits.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Quite amusing to see some of our regular Kiwi posters who are always lecturing others about not blaming the referee. Hilarious.

Hope you're not counting me in this group? Becuase I shouldn't be. I'm always complaining about the ref.

In reality, Barrett should be copping it. Gotta kick those points. AB's also threw away about 3 or 4 golden opportunities. They fucked up. Doesn't change that I think Poite bottled it. I'll argue that forever.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Wazza brought his red nose to the presser :)

kP3Ph0K.jpg

Reactions: mst

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You gotta give credit to the Lions...........

I (like most) expected them to struggle to even win a game on tour.........

The AB's should've run away with that last game in the first half but execution let them down (and let's hope that sticks for some upcoming games).

But Poite had a shocker............. as harsh as it would've been he made the right call initially for that offside penalty and then lost his nerve.

Even before that he made some bad calls for both teams............ it's an unfortunate way to end the series as I felt the first two tests were quite well refereed.

Reactions: mst

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just watched the accidental offside incident. That was almost picture perfect of what happened between Australia and Scotland back in 2015.

World Rugby "admitted" that Joubert got his decision (a penalty) wrong. So who is right? Joubert or Poite (with the accidental off-side)? By my interpretation of the law, I'd call both a penalty. Even if it is instinct, both players moved their hands to play the ball. Having said that, World Rugby has already deemed that situation to be an accidental offside based on the ugly denouncement of Joubert. Kiwis could feel robbed by the decision, but there is a precedent and to be fair, you had plenty of wasted opportunities to put the game away earlier on. I saw somewhere that there was an argument that Read jumped for the ball but didn't appear to be going for it at all and was just being a nuisance- not far off the mark if you ask me.

If Joubert's decision was different and we had lost to Scotland back in 2015, I'd have felt pissed off- but I would also have known that we fucked up a lot of things all on our own such that Joubert's decision shouldn't have mattered.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
The inexplicable thing about poite a decision is that he reviewed for foul play, didn't see any and then confirmed with the tmo his original decision is correct. Penalty to black. Tmo agrees. No other outcome was discussed.

Then without mewing it again or saying another word he then gives a completely new decision.

The mental bastard :)

Oh and everyone moans about the ref. Everyone

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
So ABs lose crotty, b smith and fucktard bill Williams. Start 2 debutants due to lack of options. Still draw against cream of the four nations after fucking around last game. Owned their forwards in the scrum overall.

Better than a loss I suppose. Rwc prep will be all the better for this series. And seriously how good was j Barrett? I thought Ben smith could never be replaced but the depth in fullback must now worry dagg.

Sent from my VFD 700 using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just watched the accidental offside incident. That was almost picture perfect of what happened between Australia and Scotland back in 2015.

World Rugby "admitted" that Joubert got his decision (a penalty) wrong. So who is right? Joubert or Poite (with the accidental off-side)? By my interpretation of the law, I'd call both a penalty. Even if it is instinct, both players moved their hands to play the ball. Having said that, World Rugby has already deemed that situation to be an accidental offside based on the ugly denouncement of Joubert. Kiwis could feel robbed by the decision, but there is a precedent and to be fair, you had plenty of wasted opportunities to put the game away earlier on. I saw somewhere that there was an argument that Read jumped for the ball but didn't appear to be going for it at all and was just being a nuisance- not far off the mark if you ask me.

If Joubert's decision was different and we had lost to Scotland back in 2015, I'd have felt pissed off- but I would also have known that we fucked up a lot of things all on our own such that Joubert's decision shouldn't have mattered.

You said you watched the incident so would've seen Read jump for the ball, have his arm up trying to tap it back in a fair contest for the ball.

Sometimes rugby matches play out in such a way that it comes down to a moment like the Scotland match or last nights and yet people seem to think that saying stuff like "it shouldn't have come to that" or "team X should've been up by more", somehow addresses the issue.

It misses a huge point that games ebb and flow, both teams exert pressure at different times and both teams make mistakes. It was a well executed restart by Barrett that put pressure on the Lions and under that pressure forced Ann error that was a penalty offence by their replacement hooker catching the ball in an offside position. If it had hit his body as he was running back on side, sure that's fine it's accidental, but catching it, taking a few steps, dropping the ball, is not accidental. Reactionary yes, but not an accident.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reid had zero chance at getting that ball and was just interfering with the player in the air. He's lucky he wasn't sent off with a slice of tomato based on what I've witnessed in the last few years

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great game. That passage of play where Lions were carving up on attack and then Beaudy intercepted and the ABs were attacking the line was insane.

What a tour. So many awesome games that came down to the wire. An absolute treat to watch in the last 6 weeks.

ABs blew too many chances in the first half - should have scored at the very least 1 more try.

I'm glad the series wasn't decided on that penalty but imagine the crying of refs favouring ABs if the roles were reversed and ABs had got that penalty turned into a scrum!

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Great game. That passage of play where Lions were carving up on attack and then Beaudy intercepted and the ABs were attacking the line was insane.

What a tour. So many awesome games that came down to the wire. An absolute treat to watch in the last 6 weeks.

ABs blew too many chances in the first half - should have scored at the very least 1 more try.

I'm glad the series wasn't decided on that penalty but imagine the crying of refs favouring ABs if the roles were reversed and ABs had got that penalty turned into a scrum!

That was Jordie who made the intercept I think and then offload to Laumape.

The two new starters played pretty well for their 2nd test appearances.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reid had zero chance at getting that ball and was just interfering with the player in the air. He's lucky he wasn't sent off with a slice of tomato based on what I've witnessed in the last few years

Haha, he was only centimetres from it. The ball just went past his hand. I'm guessing only frame by frame stills with some colourful arrows would only convince you.........

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. Red koala in the right hand corner.
2. Kerevi was sent off for interfering with the player in the air when he he caught the f'ing ball
3. By comparison, Reid was not even in the same country as where that ball was.
4. Reds fans had to cop a lot of "rub of the green" and "ref is always right" calls after that call.
5. All of the above allows me to say whatever the fuck I like to anyone about this incident with impunity and anyone that disagrees with me is wrong.

:)

Edit: and I can't wait for Spiro's salty article this week. I might even get up especially early to get the first comment in just to properly set the tone of that thread and make it really take off.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The fact that AB's shouldn't have needed that last penalty doesn't make the call any less shit. IMO Joubert got it right in the 2015 QF & Poite got it horribly wrong last night. Ball hits player who happens to be in an offside position = scrum, player in an offside position grabs at ball = penalty any day of the week.Offside or obstruction, take your pick.

Kinda agree re: Dagg'so days being numbered BUT not until we find someone to play that second fullback role, we've tried the two strike winger option & it's failed often enough that we've got to stick with what works. If that means 14. Dagg for a while longer, so be it 'cos right now it's him or NM-S & I'm not convinced he's fully fit just yet.