• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There’s so many unknowns in the sports broadcasting landscape right now, absolute best case for RA is they secure a broadcast rights deal which sees only a 30% reduction in the value of the rights. Worst case... well worst case is the clubs fall into insolvency and can’t pay the players contracts they’ve committed too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There’s so many unknowns in the sports broadcasting landscape right now, absolute best case for RA is they secure a broadcast rights deal which sees only a 30% reduction in the value of the rights. Worst case. well worst case is the clubs fall into insolvency and can’t pay the players contracts they’ve committed too.

It is not good times at all. I really feel they may need to grab it themselves and take away the eternal frustrations with Foxtel et al. But 2020/21 may not be the time.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I am uncertain what direction to take, i.e. grab whatever you can when offered, or hold out for what you want, no one knows for sure how we come out of this.

I was reading as part of a large medical article not worth linking but the article was looking at the post pandemic and indicating many pre pandemic norms may not return. Examples given included the CBD's of cities, added to pandemic was the changing face of politics i.e Trump, Johnson and the increasing influence of China.

Part of the article looked at sport, and would sport maintain its pre viewing patterns in the post period. The article was non-committal either way but indicated their would be a shift.

The Stan / Nine deal on the surface makes sense. Whether it has the dollars behind it is another matter, time will tell I guess.

One aspect does concern me is if the contract values falls to much, will we be able to keep players first in Australia and second in rugby.

Reactions: dru

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It would be interesting to know how many regular rugby viewers do not have Stan at the moment to work out how much they would make if everyone signed up. I would sign up to get Rugby matches in a heart beat and imagine a lot of others would too.

I would even pay for it as a premium content (for a reasonable price) if required.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
was thinking about turning it on for Yellowstone.

Channel 9 are undoubtedly the leaders in sport broadcasting in Aus. They just might do a bit of cross marketing from League and help grow the fan base. Could be very good

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The Stan / Nine deal on the surface makes sense. Whether it has the dollars behind it is another matter, time will tell I guess.

One aspect does concern me is if the contract values falls to much, will we be able to keep players first in Australia and second in rugby.

I think COVID may reset the sports wage bar going forward and in to the foreseeable future. The reality is is while there is COVID sport will not have full access to traditional revenue streams and will have to cut cost. Things won't normalise for at least 12 to 18 months at best, then we will need to go through a economic recovery period etc. Players will need to take pay cuts or risk ending teams / sports and ending up having to get real jobs.

For rugby in Australia it may be a blessing with players deciding if they want security and /or to stay home to avoid COVID risk. The alternative is those who are willing to take the chance on higher wages with the higher COVID risk (by risk I also mean being stuck O/S etc as well as exposure).

A quick look around and you will see players on Japanese contracts and some European contacts just hanging around.

It sounds like a Nine / Stan deal could be worth more than the Foxtel offer and comes with the chance to go mainstream. Aussie rugby needs to accept the can't keep obsessing about wanting champagne rugby on a beer budget. Especially when the champagne thats has been served up for years is more like passion pop!

Not sure about you, but these cut price kids we have been watching play Super Rugby AU have produced better more entering rigby than we have had in the recent past.

A a Nine / Stan deal might even be popular due to ease of access. It would be accessible via Xbox and Fetch, the latter being a concern for Foxtel.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Aus reporting that Nine and Stan are bidding as a joint ticket - Supe to be streamed on Stan and Wallabies on 9.

I really hope this is true, I can handle that and will happily pay to have Stan even if it just Aussie games, which I assume it will be. Mind you the Aus haven't been overly accurate lately on rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think COVID may reset the sports wage bar going forward and in to the foreseeable future. The reality is is while there is COVID sport will not have full access to traditional revenue streams and will have to cut cost. Things won't normalise for at least 12 to 18 months at best, then we will need to go through a economic recovery period etc. Players will need to take pay cuts or risk ending teams / sports and ending up having to get real jobs.

For rugby in Australia it may be a blessing with players deciding if they want security and /or to stay home to avoid COVID risk. The alternative is those who are willing to take the chance on higher wages with the higher COVID risk (by risk I also mean being stuck O/S etc as well as exposure).

A quick look around and you will see players on Japanese contracts and some European contacts just hanging around.

It sounds like a Nine / Stan deal could be worth more than the Foxtel offer and comes with the chance to go mainstream. Aussie rugby needs to accept the can't keep obsessing about wanting champagne rugby on a beer budget. Especially when the champagne thats has been served up for years is more like passion pop!

Not sure about you, but these cut price kids we have been watching play Super Rugby AU have produced better more entering rigby than we have had in the recent past.

A a Nine / Stan deal might even be popular due to ease of access. It would be accessible via Xbox and Fetch, the latter being a concern for Foxtel.
Yep you make good point about accessibility as I have fetch and would make accessing Stan for rugby easy proposition

Reactions: mst

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I really hope this is true, I can handle that and will happily pay to have Stan even if it just Aussie games, which I assume it will be. Mind you the Aus haven't been overly accurate lately on rugby.

Yep Fairfax calling their bluff. I reckon they would know.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It would be amazing to have 9 media invested in rugby and trying to help our narrative. Feels odd because we should be getting that from Fox, but somehow have ended up with them thinking best course of action is to tear us down.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Fairfax calling their bluff. I reckon they would know.

Yep I hope it right, but seem to recall that Australian was the paper that reported that TT comp was done deal a couple weeks back with Sunwolves etc playing here next year. That was not quite accurate, but really be happy if this one is, and the $s add up for RA.