• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
That's probably because Murdcoh has more skin in the game with the NRL - wants to drive viewership that way
It would be amazing to have 9 media invested in rugby and trying to help our narrative. Feels odd because we should be getting that from Fox, but somehow have ended up with them thinking best course of action is to tear us down.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe it’s seen as an investment to protect league by further destroying union.

Doubt it. Not sure why people see Rugby League and Rugby Union as a zero sum game where only one can prosper at the expense of the other.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Nine is renegotiating its NRL deal. By floating an interest in union it sends the signal to the NRL that maybe Nine doesn't need them.

But I reckon it was just RU trying to gin up some interest and their asking price. If no one else but Foxtel and Ten are interested, they could make a super cheap offer and RU would have to take it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Nine is renegotiating its NRL deal. By floating an interest in union it sends the signal to the NRL that maybe Nine doesn't need them.

But I reckon it was just RU trying to gin up some interest and their asking price. If no one else but Foxtel and Ten are interested, they could make a super cheap offer and RU would have to take it.
Not necessarily. According to the report they are looking primarily at putting the tests on FTA and would use Supe to bump up their Stan subscriptions. There isn’t really any conflict there, Saturday tests and hopefully some Supe in that time slot would be a good gap filler for them, Nine at present don’t have any sport on a Saturday, which is prime time from a sports perspective.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Isn't the clock ticking on this? I thought RA needed to sort out player wages etc at end of Sept and wouldn't they need to know how much they got coming in?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is the challenge - it takes time to negotiate broadcast deals but time we don’t have...

Things are pretty tight lipped as we don’t have much inkling of where this is headed or at in terms of negotiations.

I would love to be discussing the broadcast deal and the competition for next year but none of us at this point have a clue what don’t have a clue what it looks like. I think super rugby Au been successful and enough that Foxtel would take this on with wallabies. Issue of course how much offered up and what it would mean for player retention. Assumption lot less hence likely reduced squad sizes.

I suspect we may see 1 year deal for super rugby au with playoffs against nz super rugby finalists at best and a trans tasman deal for 2022 continue to be negotiated.

I suspect we may see someone take on SoU (but again for not much coin and may end up part of fox package) and maybe abridged super 8 with just nz and oz super rugby finalists from both competitions. On the club rugby and club rugby championship again I think there would be interest but again for not much coin.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
So so so much unclear.

Will 7 get out of the cricket or get the cricket at reduced prices, thus allowing 7 to bid.

Its Optus playing dead and will they make a one minute to midnight bid.

Is Amazon in play and if so at what price.

Will Fox also make a one minute to midnight bid after talking it down for months.

What will 10 pay,

Other issues.

In todays environment is FTA as important as it once was. Netball & Basketball ratings would indicate FTA is not as important as it once was.

Would a $ 10.00 to $ 15.00 per month, streaming service deliver broad based media coverage, can't see 2, 7, 9, 10 or SBS promoting a sports streaming service and thus issues with an already inadequate News / Fairfax, coverage could be hugely decreased.

Its a very difficult call and at a time when traditional media is under huge cost pressures, not an ideal time.

Glad its not me in the hot seat.

Some very big calls to make lets hope they make the right ones.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Foxtel have submitted a bid:

The industry sources said Foxtel's offer was for the rights to what it currently broadcasts - the Super Rugby, the National Rugby Championship and Wallabies Tests - at a similar price to what it previously paid. It is unclear whether Foxtel is prepared to trial new formats of the game, such as State of Union - a tournament similar to the NRL's State of Origin.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...-ra-for-broadcast-rights-20201001-p5613w.html

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Foxtel have submitted a bid:

The industry sources said Foxtel's offer was for the rights to what it currently broadcasts - the Super Rugby, the National Rugby Championship and Wallabies Tests - at a similar price to what it previously paid. It is unclear whether Foxtel is prepared to trial new formats of the game, such as State of Union - a tournament similar to the NRL's State of Origin.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...-ra-for-broadcast-rights-20201001-p5613w.html
That would be a pretty good outcome.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So is the National Rugby Championship (NRC) back on the table or is this just a lazy journalist cut and paste. Suspect the latter.