• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
the interesting thing about the broadcast deal is it would need to now fund 5 oz super rugby teams - as this year yes twiggy paid to be part of super rugby au as RA broke and broadcast deal negotiated did not cover players wages hence salary cuts.

This is the bit where hard to see how we would fund 5 teams just from a broadcast deal and without private equity investment. I wonder if this reality as been why supposedly talking with nz about joining their competition.

Not sure how this will all works or will work out. Hence I suppose why a trans tasman tie up probably so crucial.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So is the National Rugby Championship (NRC) back on the table or is this just a lazy journalist cut and paste. Suspect the latter.

My take is they’re talking about a similar amount of content, rather then the same competition.
Possibly the Premier Grade comps will fill the void of the NRC in terms of content?

Either way, if Foxtel are offering a similar amount, then that’s a massive win. I expected nothing short of a 30-40% reduction in value.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A little conflicted. Part of me would be happy to see the NRC remain or some kind of rejigged competition. The other isn't ecstatic about the Paywall. Hopefully this prompts the likes of Amazon who are said to be sniffing around to enter an improved bid.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
the interesting thing about the broadcast deal is it would need to now fund 5 oz super rugby teams - as this year yes twiggy paid to be part of super rugby au as RA broke and broadcast deal negotiated did not cover players wages hence salary cuts.

This is the bit where hard to see how we would fund 5 teams just from a broadcast deal and without private equity investment. I wonder if this reality as been why supposedly talking with nz about joining their competition.

Not sure how this will all works or will work out. Hence I suppose why a trans tasman tie up probably so crucial.
I don't think the Force will be participating in anything unless funded by Twiggy. They are Twiggy's plaything now.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't think the Force will be participating in anything unless funded by Twiggy. They are Twiggy's plaything now.

They will certainly get a grant, it’s possible it won’t be as much as the other teams especially if the Force players aren’t represented by RUPA or bound to the same salary cap restrictions

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Twiggy not going to be looking to pay for force forever so will be looking at a competition that pays its way for force participation. Sure may add top ups but can’t see him just paying for the privilege of the Force in a competition. I suspect and probably rightly they will want their share of any Broadcast agreement.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Twiggy not going to be looking to pay for force forever so will be looking at a competition that pays its way for force participation. Sure may add top ups but can’t see him just paying for the privilege of the Force in a competition. I suspect and probably rightly they will want their share of any Broadcast agreement.
I don't see how they can participate otherwise. RA already cut them because they couldn't afford them and their finances have only gotten worse.

If Twiggy doesnt want to finance them they cease to exist.

On the other hand, I guess it makes sense that they should get a cut of the TV money.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't see how they can participate otherwise. RA already cut them because they couldn't afford them and their finances have only gotten worse.

I guess it makes sense that they should get a cut of the TV money, though.

Times have changed though... RA need the Force more now then ever, perhaps they’ll be willing to cut spending in other areas of the organisation to ensure the Force get a cut.

Shit, maybe all teams collectively get less and the difference is average out across 5 teams.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Times have changed though. RA need the Force more now then ever, perhaps they’ll be willing to cut spending in other areas of the organisation to ensure the Force get a cut.

Shit, maybe all teams collectively get less and the difference is average out across 5 teams.

tenor.gif

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

On the other hand, I guess it makes sense that they should get a cut of the TV money.
Hence my point ie cut because could not afford them and likely with current broadcast deal again will be the case. But Hamish been clear want to see 5 teams in trans tasman so looking at funding options to make that happen. I digress as unlikely to get answers on this until details emerge

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hence my point ie cut because could not afford them and likely with current broadcast deal again will be the case. But Hamish been clear want to see 5 teams in trans tasman so looking at funding options to make that happen. I digress as unlikely to get answers on this until details emerge
Honestly i think they will participate on the basis that Twiggy will be funding them. At least initially (unless they join the China fkn Lions and play in NZRU's proposed Frankensteinian monster).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Couldn’t afford them was always a subjective argument, the truth is they didn’t see their survival as a priority over other expenditure requirements in the organisation. Now, those prioritise have had a drastic shift.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am wondering if Rob Nichols might be the voice of reason to stop the madness of NZRU plans as he really makes it very clear the absurdity of the current path NZRU is going down.

I like many have just been gobsmacked with NZRU in what their doing, their stakeholder and partner management and frankly what comes out of Impey’s and Robertson’s mouth of late which has been highly inflammatory and arrogant and done nothing to rebuild strained partner relationships.

I think we really need someone like Rob Nichols in the mix to stop NZRU continuing to head down a very dangerous path and doing further untold and irreparable damage to key partner relationships
and the long term prospects of both australia, nz and rugby across the Asia Pacific.

Reactions: dru

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Amazon isn't obscure? it's also about 8$ a month.

I actually think Mrs Badger signed up for this one.

I have never watched anything on it. I dont ever know where to find it. And I think we are still paying $8/month and I wouldn't know where to start to try and unsubscribe and stop it short of cancelling the creditcard.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I actually think Mrs Badger signed up for this one.

I have never watched anything on it. I dont ever know where to find it. And I think we are still paying $8/month and I wouldn't know where to start to try and unsubscribe and stop it short of cancelling the creditcard.

Has 2.1m subscribers in Aus and 150m total worldwide. Not exactly what I'd call obscure.