• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I actually think Mrs Badger signed up for this one.

I have never watched anything on it. I dont ever know where to find it. And I think we are still paying $8/month and I wouldn't know where to start to try and unsubscribe and stop it short of cancelling the creditcard.
No one was calling it obscure but rather not as easy to access and by access I mean not on for example streaming service menu for fletch

Sigh

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Hardly the ideal streaming service though, not near as popular in Australia as the others I’ve got just about all of them and haven’t bothered getting it.

Guess it’s better than nothing though

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You have a phone, tablet, laptop or a smart tv? It's very accessible.
By accessible I mean mass market accessible in terms of pre set up which is via tv with pre-exisiting menu option - yep I am lazy and have no interest in anything I have to set up on smart tvs etc - why like things like fletch which has Netflix, Stan etc set up on its menu options.

Streaming services that have to be accessed by smart TV browser not ready yet for the masses who want pre-see menu choices

Ps subscribed to kayo but watched through laptop as could not be arsed working out how to access through the smart tv - I am classic mainstream person who just wants to access content without having to do anything requiring working out how to set up and access

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hardly the ideal streaming service though, not near as popular in Australia as the others I’ve got just about all of them and haven’t bothered getting it.

Guess it’s better than nothing though

If they pick up Rugby, Im in. and I am sure the rest of us old fellows stuck to Fox will find it eventually

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
apparently its on the Telstra tv box.

Mrs B cant name one show on it

It is on the Telstra box. As is Kayo. And they are both on the Apple box too.

I cut the Fox cord over a year ago. I have an Apple box and a Telstra box. With an ok internet connection streaming is perfectly stable and you dont have to remember to record stuff - you just stream content when you want to see it which is way more convenient. Unless you live for Fox movies or want HBO content as it is released I cant see any reason whatsoever to have a Foxtel Box. Plus there is heaps of very watchable content on Amazon like "The Test" which was the behind the scenes doco on the last Ashes tour (if you're a cricket fan).

Plus both Amazon and Kayo are streamable on tablets, laptops, phones etc

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Amazon has a massive data centre network around the world through its subsidiary Amazon Web Services, access to these data centres is one of the biggest start-up costs for any new streaming service. Amazon is uniquely positioned to offer some cheap streaming services if they want to push down that path further.

Reactions: dru

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
By accessible I mean mass market accessible in terms of pre set up which is via tv with pre-exisiting menu option - yep I am lazy and have no interest in anything I have to set up on smart tvs etc - why like things like fletch which has Netflix, Stan etc set up on its menu options.

Streaming services that have to be accessed by smart TV browser not ready yet for the masses who want pre-see menu choices

Ps subscribed to kayo but watched through laptop as could not be arsed working out how to access through the smart tv - I am classic mainstream person who just wants to access content without having to do anything requiring working out how to set up and access

I plug my laptop into the TV and use it to stream programs (on my non-smart tv). Probably the easiest way to set it up

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Amazon has a massive data centre network around the world through its subsidiary Amazon Web Services, access to these data centres is one of the biggest start-up costs for any new streaming service. Amazon is uniquely positioned to offer some cheap streaming services if they want to push down that path further.

I guess my problem with it is that again, it’s not hugely popular in Australia. So while you may be making it more accessible to Aussie rugby fans (which is great) it will do little to grow our fan base as opposed to what Stan, Netflix, Kayo can offer by just sheer numbers or in Kayos case targeted sports fans.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I guess my problem with it is that again, it’s not hugely popular in Australia. So while you may be making it more accessible to Aussie rugby fans (which is great) it will do little to grow our fan base as opposed to what Stan, Netflix, Kayo can offer by just sheer numbers or in Kayos case targeted sports fans.
Yep needs to be easy destination channel for mass (bigger) market adoption - it is bit like Shute shield on Seven 2 - ie out of mind out of site

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Yeah right now those 3 SVODS are bigger, however Amazon Prime was only launched 2 years ago and already has made a up a massive amount of ground on Foxtel and Stan. Netflix is still the outright winner but has no appetite for sports.

Right now Amazon has around 1.5 million subscribers, Stan has 3.5 million and Foxtel(including Kayo) has 4.8million, Netflix has 12 million. In the US Prime is much closer to Netflix in market share, representing about 3/4 of the Netflix customer base. Internationally Amazon is the second largest SVOD service with 150million customers.

I’m not concerned about Amazons current numbers, in 2 years they’ve built a subscriber base which is already half of Stans. Going forward I think they will become Australia second largest SVOD service eclipsing Foxtels market share, and that could be achieved before the end of the next broadcast agreement.

I’d much prefer Amazon over Optus or Stan in terms of growth potential.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And you would like to think if Amazon or whoever broadcast rugby they would pick up quite a few new subscribers. They would have me and a few others from here to start with!