• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It would make any future negotiation interesting when the Union own a share of one of the bidding parties.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ it has been suggested by some media commentators (being academics who comment on media matters not media people who comment on whatever) that the Commerce Commission might or at least should be looking at the deal as a potential conflict of interest/ anti-competition issue.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It would make any future negotiation interesting when the Union own a share of one of the bidding parties.

Absolutely they’ve potentially hurt their own long term interest, unless they intend to sell that stake in the next few years before the next contract negotiations open up.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can’t link it, but article in the courier mail claims the next broadcast deal won’t include the NRC

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Can’t link it, but article in the courier mail claims the next broadcast deal won’t include the NRC

All sorts of speculation regards the NRC, reality is the competition just hasn't taken off, the reasons we can debate. But what do they replace it with and it has to have genuine support to move forward.

But I'm curious regards the new broadcast deal, how can we negotiate when the Kiwi's & Saffa's have already signed off on theirs, what sort of bargaining position does the RA have, the only extra content they had was NRC, and with Clyne doing the negotiations, obviously no cross-over with GRR is possible. So your selling a bunch of Test matches, which come 2021 we don't really no what the schedule is.

My concern is like previously they'll sell there soul for the next five years hailing economic security, and lock themselves into something which has never been for the benefit of the code overall.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
All sorts of speculation regards the NRC, reality is the competition just hasn't taken off, the reasons we can debate. But what do they replace it with and it has to have genuine support to move forward.

But I'm curious regards the new broadcast deal, how can we negotiate when the Kiwi's & Saffa's have already signed off on theirs, what sort of bargaining position does the RA have, the only extra content they had was NRC, and with Clyne doing the negotiations, obviously no cross-over with GRR is possible. So your selling a bunch of Test matches, which come 2021 we don't really no what the schedule is.

My concern is like previously they'll sell there soul for the next five years hailing economic security, and lock themselves into something which has never been for the benefit of the code overall.

Haven't heard about SA's. What did that come to?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep. Showing one game per week isn't really broadcasting it. I had to watch most of the games on live stream, even though I have FOX.

Kayo streaming still falls under the broadcast contract though, thats how I watched most of the NRC games this year

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Kayo streaming still falls under the broadcast contract though, thats how I watched most of the NRC games this year
I assume that Kayo falls under the Fox deal, so that will probably stop. I watched on Rugby.com.au, but there wouldn't be any revenue generated via that option.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Optus set to swoop on rugby rights as Foxtel prepares to cut ties with battling code

Foxtel is preparing to sever its two-decade relationship with rugby union after rival Optus agreed to a higher price during bidding for the code's five-year broadcast rights.

Two sources briefed on the negotiations told the Herald Foxtel had baulked at matching Optus' price, which is believed to be higher than $30 million annually, and pulled its bid entirely.

They cited Rugby Australia's dysfunctional management and declining viewer numbers.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...-ties-with-battling-code-20191124-p53dlt.html

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Umm...doesn't the current deal equate to $58m a year? Unless they mean it's $30m a year above that. That's a serious decline in value. The only thing that could make things more palatable would be if there's a proper FTA component to accompany it.

Yeah it's vague on details so hard to decipher, but the previous deal was $285million/5 year, so like you say, it was around $58million/annum.. But I believe that included revenue sharing portion of the deal and the value of the rights sold in Europe.

Previous reports have said Foxtel only pay $15million in cash plus several million in contra advertising a year for Super Rugby and Test Rugby and that includes the rights to on-sell those to FTA. So a $30million bid from Optus would be double what Foxtel have paid in the past.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah it's vague on details so hard to decipher, but the previous deal was $285million/5 year, so like you say, it was around $58million/annum.. But I believe that included revenue sharing portion of the deal and the value of the rights sold in Europe.

Previous reports have said Foxtel only pay $15million a year for Super Rugby and Test Rugby and that includes the rights to on-sell those to FTA. So a $30million bid from Optus would be double what Foxtel have paid in the past.

Right. So hopefully that will translate into higher revenues. Would also be interesting to see how Optus operate regarding advertising. Subs were never the only source of income for Foxtel and are the main drivers in FTA. But is it the Optus model. If it isn't then maybe RA could negotiate deals and revenue arrangements.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
You think it has any value to a broadcaster on a stand alone basis?
In it's current form, it would be very cheap to bankroll. The Super Rugby contracted players don't get paid, and the uncontracted players get about $2k for the season. No idea what coaching or support staff get and there is obviously travel cost involved. It would be a shame to see it go because I think it's finally getting it's act together and IMO a useful tool for transitioning from club to state level