• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree, with Jake White here next year and after his World Cup Boks selection preferences you'd have to expect a large Backrow. Which actually doesnt seem to bad with Hoiles, Vaea, presumably Elsom, potentially that new signing from Toulon all good options. I do however hope he chooses only 2 out of those 4 players to full in the 6, 8 jerseys and adopt either Hooper or Colby at 7.

Our squad for next year actually sounds pretty strong. If Elsom stays, Hoiles to regain fitness, The revelation of Vaea and Kimlin adds tremendously to the pack and players like Hooper and Colby are great back-ups.

T

tranquility

Our squad for next year actually sounds pretty strong. If Elsom stays, Hoiles to regain fitness, The revelation of Vaea and Kimlin adds tremendously to the pack and players like Hooper and Colby are great back-ups.

As good as they guys have been already, they are probably not more than Super rugby backups at this stage. They are tremendous talents, but they probably won't be that disappointed to the pine or even fringe 22 when the full complement is back in town.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Light Weight Backrower, really.....from what I have watched of Vanderglas both here in Canberra, in Shute Shield for Randwick and also for the few Brumbies Game he has had...he has always bought a decent amount of Physicallity to the breakdown as well as another attacking weapon on the edge...plus his lineout ability etc....but I guess if the Brumbies next year want to go with the real Light weight 7 or 6 and Shortish No8 then good on them...but i dear say with Jake White coming in and his passion for massive backrow...Hooper, Fainga'a days might be numbered in the starting side. I will say the new 8 from Toulon after watching him on Eurosport the other night....not sure how much he will add to this pack....

You would have to be downright mad to play Vanderglas ahead of Hooper or Fainga'a at 7...

Let's not forget that Vanderglas isn't even in the senior squad, and hasn't been offered anything for next year...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree, with Jake White here next year and after his World Cup Boks selection preferences you'd have to expect a large Backrow. Which actually doesnt seem to bad with Hoiles, Vaea, presumably Elsom, potentially that new signing from Toulon all good options. I do however hope he chooses only 2 out of those 4 players to full in the 6, 8 jerseys and adopt either Hooper or Colby at 7.

If Hoiles ever returns... and if Elsom re-signs...

I don't see how Hooper wouldn't start considering he's currently the best 7 in the pack, and all the other names being floated (aside from Fainga'a) are 6/8's...

One of our SA posters on here believes Jake White wouldn't be so foolish as to not field a proper 7 with the way the game is played and the options there, and I would like to hope he is correct...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Jake White likes giants in the pack.

There won't be no 2 little fetchers running around at 6 & 7

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think anyone is implying there'd be two fetchers in the backrow... but there'd be one at 7...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I wouldn't suggest Vanders at 7, but why he hasn't been given a crack at 6 or 8 so far this season is a bit odd - especially when Colby was playing 8.

As I previously said, why not give him a chance? It's not like they've been winning all season is it? Give a local lad a go, look to the future and worry less about those who are moving on like Chapman and co.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Does anyone know when Hodgson is off contract? He would be a great asset at the Brumbies and would solve the issues at 7 and will not hurt the Force too much as they already have Pocock, Brown and McCalman. It would be good for Aus Rugby if Hodgson moved to the Brumbies, Rebels or even the Tahs. It would also be good for Hogson as he'd get more game time. Is there any hope?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't suggest Vanders at 7, but why he hasn't been given a crack at 6 or 8 so far this season is a bit odd - especially when Colby was playing 8.

As I previously said, why not give him a chance? It's not like they've been winning all season is it? Give a local lad a go, look to the future and worry less about those who are moving on like Chapman and co.

I don't see what he would contribute more than those already in the team?

Fainga'a filled in at 8 for one game while Vaea was injured...

He's wouldn't displace anyone currently in the squad... and he's not even in the squad...

I'm enjoy the local parochialism, but let's get real guys...

6. Chapman + Kimlin >>>> Vanderglas
7. Hooper + Fainga'a >>>> Vanderglas
8. Vaea >>>> Vanderglas

I haven't even included Elsom + Hoiles if they were fit...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Well, agree to disagree. I don't think a bit of a shake up and giving someone a chance would hurt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't been going exceptionally well with the playing squad they have, and it's well and truly time to plan ahead for 2012, without (or with?) Elsom, Hoiles and Chapman.

If he doesn't get a go, I hope he has a cracker 7's tournament, and then does a Jack Lam - he is wasting his time at the Brumbies/Randwick.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They haven't been going exceptionally well... but putting in lesser players doesn't generally fix problems...

The Brumbies' biggest problem is that they're not being coached...

They have the personnel, but their tactics and skills are fucked...

Vanderglas isn't better than any of the players already in the squad... and it's not like the Brumbies are lacking ball running forwards...

And the likes of Kimlin, Chapman, Hooper and Vaea have been the best for the Brumbies...

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Jake White likes giants in the pack.

There won't be no 2 little fetchers running around at 6 & 7

Based on a South African culture and at the time he had a horde of big blokes to choose from. With the cattle at his disposal Jake played a direct game plan that suited, and called for big back rowers (It is still in essence the game plan that first seen at the Sharks in the nineties when they dominated the Currie Cup. Direct rugby. Big ball runners. Suck in defenders. Attrition.). It's also worth noting that from the outset JAke put a squad and plan together that he felt was best suited to winning a World Cup four years down the line. What better place to start than the blokes who did the job in the under 21's and this is where the big back rowers were from.

Look at the names of the back rowers in his U/21 squad - big people. Pedrie Wannenburg, Juan Smith, Jacques Cronje. I had the pleasure of attending a breakfast event prior to the World Cup U/21 finals and these guys were already massive then (If memory serves Danie Rossouw was also in the squad). Jake built a large part of his game plan around those blokes so when he coached the national team it was a progression from there. The following year, Jake employed Schalk Burger as a pure openside in his youth squad because he had a guy who could really pilfer (a skill which Burger has to some extent lost). When Burger got injured in 2005/2006 (not 100% sure when), he tried a number of new openside options. Joe van Niekerk (failed miserably), Solly Tybilika (the infamous selection debacle).

None of them worked so Jake made up his mind that he has no pure openside and he will adapt the plan if Burger can't play. Through 2006/2007 that never really worked when Schalk was injured, and even though Jake made light of the idea of an openside, he still took van Heerden to the World Cup as backup openside and was forced to play him when Schalk was suspended after a farcical card against Tonga I think it was. Van Heerden produced a blinder and ripped the English a shiny new one at the breakdown. He played 100% like a classic 7 and stole them blind while BAkkies and Juan Smit opened a path for him. It was a beautiful thing to behold and I would reckon it was among the most physical games I ever saw a Bok team play. I digress :0

Youth teams like Jake's U/21 World Cup winners spun the thing wide (Captained by Clyde Rathbone who if I remember correctly was top try scorer in the tournament). He played a game plan that brought strike runners like Rathbone and at the time a blisteringly quick Ashwin Willemse into play.

He will enforce a plan that he thinks can win the Super XX and retrofit to the cattle available. You can bet he wants a big 6 and 8 but I think he will play a classic openside. Kimlin developing nicely into the type of player I reckon Jake will like.

Oh and I think Jake would have liked what he saw Rocky doing at 8 in Ireland. I still don't understand why he wasn't moved there when Palu went down last year. But I digress again.

One thing we can bet on though: Jake White wants a pack that can dominate, regardless of who hangs off the back of the scrum.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I reckon one thing Jake definitely likes is a 9 with a very good tactical boot who plays in a sweeping defensive role.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I reckon one thing Jake definitely likes is a 9 with a very good tactical boot who plays in a sweeping defensive role.
Understand he have already set his sight on Ruaan Pienaar. Wont be surprise to see him following Jake White.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It'll be nice if he can give Nic White some gametime...

He's a good young local halfback who the Brumbies have failed to give an opportunity to... also an Aus U20's rep...

I understand he's got a good kicking game on him as well...

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Per Blue's post (and good one at that) on White's coaching culture - maybe the reason why he signed up for a longer than average coaching term is so he could find, develop and benefit from big, young and mobile back rowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom