• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He also killed it in the John I Dent Cup last year...

He is the one player in the squad that could've been brought in for improvements, but alas...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Speaking of big backrowers...

I'm sure White is going to make good use of this guy next year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8xcj36mBYo
Thanks for posting that. I've seen a lot of Fotu in the last couple of seasons and he's going to be a good acquisition, though apart from a few months break after the Top 14 he will be playing virtually his 3rd season in a row when he arrives at the Brumbies.

Those UTube clips make him look skinnier than he is because he can be porky. He is very skilful for a big man though, including having deft hands in passing and at lineout time - though he is fond of low percentage passes. Jake White will know by the time he arrives that Toulon have used Fotu starting at 12 and 13 so look out for White to use 5/2 splits on the bench with he being one of the 5.

In short: he is bit like Toutai Kefu without the work rate.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I get the impression that he likes to seagull a bit... but he makes good metres...

But he also offers another lineout option and seems pretty solid under the high ball..

Will be handy off the bench...

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Well, agree to disagree. I don't think a bit of a shake up and giving someone a chance would hurt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't been going exceptionally well with the playing squad they have, and it's well and truly time to plan ahead for 2012, without (or with?) Elsom, Hoiles and Chapman.

If he doesn't get a go, I hope he has a cracker 7's tournament, and then does a Jack Lam - he is wasting his time at the Brumbies/Randwick.

Reason why I would have Vanders ahead of the two thats their now, because he has the goods. Unsure as to why he is not full time or Tier one but this is the same selection group that think Liam Winton is worth of a Tier one ahead of Vanders....NO CLUE....
Vanders has proven himself in Shute Shield...Hooper or Faigaa havent...in fact Hoopers own club think their 7s was better last season so stuck him in the backs...Once Faiagaa and Hooper prove themselves in Shute Shield then I will eat my words.....and they havent proved themselves to be any better in S15 either...good on them for picking young players...but I agree with Empire...what difference would it make giving Vanders a crack. And if not, I hope Vanders does do a Jack Lam....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Come on BP... Thats some serious ACT bias there...

Firstly, Vanderglas isn't even a 7... He's a lightweight 6/8...

Hooper and Fainga'a have proven themselves enough in other levels to be Super rugby players, and they're playing well...

This Vanderglas nonsense is just getting silly...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Vanders has proven himself in Shute Shield...Hooper or Faigaa havent

To be fair what has Vanderglas proven in the Shute Shield, other than playing in it? He was kept out of the 7 jumper by Seilala Lam last year, so as you mention with Hooper, he was not their first choice 7 either (though I think had it not have been for Hooper's versatility he would have been first choice ahead of Westenenk without doubt). Fainga'a hasn't played Shute Shield. He plays for Tuggeranong Vikings but has either been involved in Australia U20 or been injured during the off-season in the past few seasons. He'd start in most teams in the competition if he were to make the move. And what you have seen in Vanderglas in Super rugby which has been better than the two youngsters is beyond me. He was only ever a 3rd string at best.

Vanderglas has been given an opportunity to prove himself at Brumbies the last 5 or so seasons, and has showed nothing. I much prefer Hooper and Fainga'a in the squad, not so much Salvi. I can't see where you see him fitting in the squad. He is a very good Sevens player, but he hasn't replicated that talent into the 15's game.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Isn't Jack Lam playing for Wellington and Lala Lam playing for randwick.

That's right, Seilala is also with the Rebels as well as Randwick.

What he means by "doing a Jack Lam" is to move franchise for an opportunity as Jack was previously with the Brumbies before moving to the Chiefs and then Hurricanes.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah he did, and they won't release him early because he is already an iconic figure at the club. He's won three games for them this season by my count right at the buzzer - or after it - with a couple of long penalties and a drop kick.

Can't say that he has completely hit his straps as a player for Ulster but as a match winner he has been tops.

You never know though - maybe he has some get out clause that we punters don't know about.

I've got the feeling that Oz teams will be able to get some good older players to come from Europe next year because the RWC would have been their goal. They just have to sift the tea leaves and see who hasn't yet signed for their Euro clubs.

I imagine this is what all the Oz Super teams are doing; they likely started this exercise a while back.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I don't think Ruan Pienaar will be any good at the Brumbies TBH.
25748.gif

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Have just seen "The Breakdown" previewing this weekend's games, on Setanta. Neil Francis said that he has heard from more than one source that Pienaar won't be returning for Ulster next year, despite being contracted.

You there Larno?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope that's not true... The Crimes was reporting he was close to re-signing with the Brumbies...

Hoes many players are the Reds getting rid of next year?

They keep this up they're going to be the North Canberra Reds...

T

tranquility

It definitely isn't true.

It was merely a practical joke / wishful thinking. I forgot I even wrote it to be honest.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I figured it couldn't be when the Reds were reportedly going to struggle to keep Van Humphries, and are already loaded with lock/backrowers...

Status
Not open for further replies.