• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
sorry man i dont mean to bag on the force i just hate it when teams dont try
*im a waratahs supporter man so ive watch them not try for years before last year and it hurts
foley will improve your team but he'll never take them above mid table and it will be boring as bat shit the whole time

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Im guess Ita is the 1 left.. He maybe just on medical leave or somthing like grands keeper for 200k a year

You're allowed to bring in extra players to cover injuries so I imagine it is no different with Vaea still on contract but injured.

I imagine his contract does not count towards the 30 players even though the Brumbies are still paying him.

That's fair enough in my opinion.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I cant see the Brumbies missing out on lilo. wont happen.

Might be, but as the article says they are a lo more Wallaby reps playing for the team and they will be asking for a bigger slice of the pie. Will be hard pressed to keep them all methinks.

What do you think the chances of Mowen sticking around?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Like with just about every team that improves their performance greatly and on the back of it suddenly have a lot of Wallabies, the Brumbies will surely lose a couple of players over the next two years who choose to take bigger offers interstate and aren't considered the most critical signings.

They've already lost a few players who were on full contracts in 2013 who have largely been replaced by EPS/low cost players.

I certainly can't see a mass exodus due to salary cap issues.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I cant see the Brumbies missing out on lilo. wont happen.

'Missing out', probably not. The bloke is very loyal to the Brums as he should be because they stuck by him in dire situations.

But I could see them deciding to part ways. I mean, now that To'omua falls into the same '10/12 and sometimes 15' heading that Lilo is under it would make more financial sense for both parties to part ways. It needn't be messy or vindictive.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
It seems to me that the system does not reward clubs which identify emerging talented players and invest money in their training and development.

For example a soccer club which brings through a young player has an equity investment in the player and benefits from a share of the transfer fee if the player moves clubs. A rugby club can only rely on loyalty to keep the player and gets nothing if he leaves.

I assume the purpose of the salary cap is to prevent clubs from simply opening its chequebook and buying a team of all-stars. However it may also prevent a club from retaining a team of stars which it may have developed from scratch.

I would have thought that the game's administrators would want to give the clubs an incentive to identify and develop talent.

(Correct me if I have misundertood how the systems work - I don't have first-hand knowledge.)

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
You don't see every great player jumping ship anywhere else in the world of Rugby for extra $, why do we expect it here? It's surely better to let the team decide how much it is willing to pay rather than expecting good players to go in droves to one team for an extra 50k a year on the bench.

I hope it changes soon, but it won't.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It seems to me that the system does not reward clubs which identify emerging talented players and invest money in their training and development.

Swings and roundabouts. You win some, you lose some. You get Pocock, you lose Lealiifano (maybe). I would spend less time worrying about who is identifying and developing emerging players and spend more time worrying about the how many. This wouldn't be an issue if the talent pool wasn't so thin.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

For example a soccer club which brings through a young player has an equity investment in the player and benefits from a share of the transfer fee if the player moves clubs. A rugby club can only rely on loyalty to keep the player and gets nothing if he leaves.

I assume the purpose of the salary cap is to prevent clubs from simply opening its chequebook and buying a team of all-stars. However it may also prevent a club from retaining a team of stars which it may have developed from scratch.

I would have thought that the game's administrators would want to give the clubs an incentive to identify and develop talent.

(Correct me if I have misundertood how the systems work - I don't have first-hand knowledge.)

Except Soccer clubs bring in kids extremely young. We've all seen the media stunts buying players at 5 but really they buy plenty of players in their early teens.

Rugby teams on the other hand usually have very little to do with their players until they're 20 (18 at the earliest).

I don't think it's an obvious analogue.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The other aspect is that most football clubs are privately owned and play in leagues where there is promotion and relegation.

Super Rugby has a fixed number of Australian franchises that are all provided their licence and much of their funding for player payments by the ARU.

By virtue of the limited squad sizes, the salary cap and the EPS system, developing players is still crucial to every Super Rugby team. You can't hope to succeed in Super Rugby if you don't identify and develop young talented players who you can sign cheaply. I don't think it is possible to build a squad that has a chance of winning purely by signing quality players from elsewhere. There's just not enough room under the salary cap to acquire enough of them to make it work.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Plenty of room at the Brumbies for Lilo and Matt... They also get a lot out of pushing each other for spots which has made them better players... As for cash the Brumbies don’t have the expensive players they once had so there would be room for growth.

There was a interesting interview / pod cast here with the Brumbies coach Bernie recently, he said that both were a very different types of players, Lilo more unpredictable in play and hard to read and Matt more structured and tactful in game direction, he thought their differences complimented the other and made them a challenge for opposition teams…
Personally I think is has a good point, its the combinations and player difference that make a better team... throw Nic White in the mix and you have a great set of inside backs…

Mogg is the one I am more concerned about losing, he has so much more potential... And Henry Speight really need to keep him on board...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I hope the Brumbies are able to offer all of them sufficient to be able to retain them. At the end of 2014, I would anticipate Clyde Rathbone calling it a day; there must be doubt about Ita Vaea and Pat McCabe being able to continue playing at Super level due to their injuries. If they do call it a day and are replaced by young up and comers, there might be a bit of dosh left in the kitty to make attractive offers to some or all of these players. I do expect, though, that Scott Fardy's contract will have a hefty increase in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.