• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
My first reaction to the announcement of Moore's departure was great disappointment but on reflection I am not really concerned. I have great respect for him as a player and a gentleman and the Brumbies are fortunate to have had his services for several years.

As wamberal says, if Moore wants to return to Queensland to finish his career, he's earned that right (although I'm a bit surprised that he's not taking the opportunity to chase the money in Europe for a couple of years).

The Brumbies have always had a good track record in bringing on young players. Moore is in the twilight of his career and his departure creates an opportunity for a younger guy to step up.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Poey is not motivated by cash.

Is he???

I think Poey is motivated by being part of a team that has a good chance of winning, that is why he left the Force. The Brumbies recruited Moore originally on that basis - the Reds were doing badly then and Laurie Fisher was the Brumbies coach, Moore said he wanted to work with the best forwards coach in the country - then Fisher got the boot. Many players are motivated by being part of a strong team as that allows them more chance to shine for higher honours - that and lots of money, which used to be the Force and Rebels recruitment tactic for the bigger names.

So does Pocock see the Brumbies as a team that can be top of the tree? They're losing a few key players and despite his obvious abilities he needs playmakers around him and strong scrummagers to allow him to perform. Some of their newcomers in recent seasons have done very well - Butler especially, but the 9-10-12 combination going forward with White gone, To'omua going and CLL probably a question mark may make it challenging.

Perhaps they should have appointed Laurie Fisher to the head coach position when Jake went, he seems to not have had the best treatment for a loyal ACT man with obvious coaching quality.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
This departure is mutually beneficial for the Brumbies and the Reds.

Moore can impart his knowledge on to Mann Rea, Abel and Anae for one more year before they battle it out for two hooker berths.

The Reds get an experienced hooker to mentor the young'uns Ready and Mafi.

Josh Mann Rea's 34 though. It'll be the other two sticking around.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
My first reaction to the announcement of Moore's departure was great disappointment but on reflection I am not really concerned. I have great respect for him as a player and a gentleman and the Brumbies are fortunate to have had his services for several years.

As wamberal says, if Moore wants to return to Queensland to finish his career, he's earned that right (although I'm a bit surprised that he's not taking the opportunity to chase the money in Europe for a couple of years).

The Brumbies have always had a good track record in bringing on young players. Moore is in the twilight of his career and his departure creates an opportunity for a younger guy to step up.

Lex well said... my feelings exactly... And Good luck to him...

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Wait, so Jones is upset at the player they picked up from the Reds for deciding to go back to the Reds after eight seasons. Gotcha.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Stadium deal sorted, what about the relationship with UC? ms's questions do have a point.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
In regards to the Brumbies press week. I am very surprised and disappointed at some of the verbal finger pointing coming from the Brumbies CEO Michael Jones this week.
I'm beginning to seriously doubt his diplomacy & stakeholder relations abilities as the business lead.

Maybe, but remember when he signed on some of these issues were already in play. The UC relationship issue is coming out of UC (Parker) not the Brumbies and its all pre Jones. He is making sure his watch and tenure is clean and above board. I would expect nothing less of a CEO.

The Canberra stadium issue, how do you bargain with no chips as you pointed out. There are no other alternatives immediately available and the ACT government has already short changed the Brumbies and Raiders with the GWS deal. But he has still managed to squeeze out a better deal.

As for the Moore signing, if Jones didn't come out and say we walked on water and offered him heaven and earth the knives would of been out because he didn't turn up to lead the fight.

He has said nothing more than the way it is, and maybe the change of tact in diplomacy and stakeholder relations is what was needed to shake off the past issues. So far it delivered what's needed; sponsors, better financial management and accountability, and most of all a CEO that is doing a job rather than being part of a popularity contest.

There is also the old saying of any press is better than no press, and right now in Canberra, what sport is dominating the headlines!

I don't like the new jersey - the one that has the reportedly highest ever pre order-sales. I am still eating my humble pie.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Maybe, but remember when he signed on some of these issues were already in play. The UC relationship issue is coming out of UC (Parker) not the Brumbies and its all pre Jones. He is making sure his watch and tenure is clean and above board. I would expect nothing less of a CEO.

The Canberra stadium issue, how do you bargain with no chips as you pointed out. There are no other alternatives immediately available and the ACT government has already short changed the Brumbies and Raiders with the GWS deal. But he has still managed to squeeze out a better deal.

As for the Moore signing, if Jones didn't come out and say we walked on water and offered him heaven and earth the knives would of been out because he didn't turn up to lead the fight.

He has said nothing more than the way it is, and maybe the change of tact in diplomacy and stakeholder relations is what was needed to shake off the past issues. So far it delivered what's needed; sponsors, better financial management and accountability, and most of all a CEO that is doing a job rather than being part of a popularity contest.

There is also the old saying of any press is better than no press, and right now in Canberra, what sport is dominating the headlines!

I don't like the new jersey - the one that has the reportedly highest ever pre order-sales. I am still eating my humble pie.

One would hope CEO Jones could be diplomatic when when addressing partnerships and respected players in the press... I would hope he doesn't need to be gagged... Using the press as a weapon to humiliate a sponsors representative is unwise, not brave or gallant...

Poor press is poor press... look at the Raiders... I rest my point...

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
One would hope CEO Jones could be diplomatic when when addressing partnerships and respected players in the press. I would hope he doesn't need to be gagged. Using the press as a weapon to humiliate a sponsors representative is unwise, not brave or gallant.

Poor press is poor press. look at the Raiders. I rest my point.

Not sure I am following you. Announcing you are disappointed you met every single demand for special treatment and a "special" contract including the planning on how to ditch six players to afford the deal, and then the player stiffed you and went elsewhere is not respecting a player?

Responding to the questions from the press about Parker's (UC) threats of legal action and other associated demands since those who used to be "close associates" from the Brumbies side of the relationship have moved on and that UC is stalling on the paperwork for the your major sponsor (Aquis) is undiplomatic? I believe Jones even clarified that he believes it more personal as the business arranges between UC and the Brumbies are unaffected.

And we have gone from being assured post "Griffith" sale we had a few million tucked away, to its gone without any explanation. Now Jones comes in and is transparent, accountable and open about the Brumbies business and he needs gagging? For what? Saying it as it is?

What would you have him do? Not refer the discrepancies in the books because it might upset UC? Passively sit there and say nothing and let the Red's do the talking about the Moore deal and politely say it a shame to see him go?

For the record all the poor press the Raiders get it has no impact on their financial viability, sponsorship, membership or popularity.

Politics and business are two very different animals. One is about popularity, the other is about making it successful.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can't fault Muddy on that argument. Players listen to guys like Stevie Moore. It sucks that he didn't re-sign and maybe he was a bit of a dick about it, but it does noone any good talking about him with any animosity. As an outsider, it looks like Jones is struggling with the pressure.

FireStorm

Frank Row (1)
Not sure I am following you. Announcing you are disappointed you met every single demand for special treatment and a "special" contract including the planning on how to ditch six players to afford the deal, and then the player stiffed you and went elsewhere is not respecting a player?

Snip

Regardless of the above, Jones is getting the fans offside and that's not good for the club.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
And now we have six players saying was he talking about me!!
Thats not leadership.
These guys are professional sportsman who know that at times opportunity is determined by room under the salary cap, the bottom line or desire of the club. It's not school boys rugby we are talking about.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Can't fault Muddy on that argument. Players listen to guys like Stevie Moore. It sucks that he didn't re-sign and maybe he was a bit of a dick about it, but it does noone any good talking about him with any animosity. As an outsider, it looks like Jones is struggling with the pressure.
Guys probably do listen to Moore but maybe glad he was a dick and not signed. What animosity? It's truth and fact, he did what he did. I must have missed the part of Moore's presser when he thanked the Brumbies for meeting every demand and a tough deadline even though his preferred option was the Reds.

Pressure? What's he fluffed? Seems he is executing his plans well: http:/[url="http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/brumbies/brumbies-20151219-glrjr4

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Regardless of the above, Jones is getting the fans offside and that's not good for the club.
Yeah, this is Canberra and it's common for the rusted DNA to be made up of 50% petulant schoolboy. Look at our NRC team and the issues around that!

Carmichael has upset one or two people I hear but the Reds are still ok. Once kick-off comes the critics will still front to either criticise or laud how lucky Jones got.

Meh.

T

TOCC

Carmichael has upset one or two people I hear but the Reds are still ok. Once kick-off comes the critics will still front to either criticise or laud how lucky Jones got.

Seriously, a lot of Reds fans want him sacked.. Staff and coaches aren't excused from criticism if they are performing poorly.

On Jones, I don't doubt that he could and should have taken a more diplomatic approach in their press release of Moore signing elsewhere, it achieves nothing by being publicly critical of a player, those issues should be discussed behind closed doors.

What's done is done though, no point dwelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Well said @lex. I have the same feelings.

At first disappointed. But I'm now content with the decision and no respect at all lost for Moore. He has served the Brumbies well for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.