• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think both Alcock and Hawera are probably good options to start the season. Then I'd think that Butler will have the inside running for the No 8 spot and will have to be replaced by either Smiler or Fakosolea showing better form. Can't see Staniforth ever being a No 8. No 6 maybe in a crisis, but not in front of Fardy or Smiler or maybe even Ben Hyne.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tom was good in the 6 spot, I agree, but that was at NRC level. Smiler has been best behind Fardy at Super Rugby level.

Eh?

Smiler is the only player to have played at 6 behind Fardy at the Brumbies out of those options, and his form wasn't particularly great last year........ and Staniforth's Super Rugby form was actually quite good last year coming off the bench at lock.

Staniforth has a higher ceiling, and he was an absolute revelation at 6 for the Vikings............

You'd be mad not to have him ahead of Smiler on that form.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staniforth should be bench cover 6 and if he steps up could push for the stsrting roll. Massive talent.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I really like Tom as a lock. His strengths are as a lineout jumper, especially challenging on opposition throws, and a great tackling technique that allows him to hold the ball carrier up to form a maul. He does have good go forward in collision also, but to my eye he doesn't have the speed around the park to be an exceptional No 6. I see his primary role as backup lock to Rory and Sam in the second row.

The starting lineup is perhaps becoming a bit clearer after Bernie's recent pronouncements. Still some mystery in the outside backs and at hooker, I think, but it looks like:

Sio, Fainga'a/Mann-Rea, Ala'alatoa, Carter, Arnold, Fardy, Alcock, Butler, Cubelli, Hawera, Dargaville/Taliauli/Ah Wong, Godwin, Kuridrani, Speight, Toua/Banks.

Reserves from Mann-Rea/Fainga'a, Sione, Makin/Alexander, Staniforth/Enever, Smiler/Fakosolea/Hyne, Powell, Jooste, Taliauli/Dargaville/Ah Wong/Smith/Banks/Toua.

Bolded names are past or present Wallabies.

Alexander might start the early games with AA on the bench to cover for Sio, but from a Wallabies' perspective, it looks like AA's future lies at THP.

T

TOCC

I really like Tom as a lock. His strengths are as a lineout jumper, especially challenging on opposition throws, and a great tackling technique that allows him to hold the ball carrier up to form a maul. He does have good go forward in collision also,

These are all things he can also achieve at blindside flanker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Presuming the Brumbies play similar attacking patterns to what they did last year, it'd make more sense for Staniforth to play 8 than 6, if he was to play back row. Their roles/channels are very different.

Still, I feel at NRC he could make up for his lack of pace at 6 by being fitter because he's a soup player and gets the training benefits. In Super rugby, he doesn't have that advantage.

That being said, Staniforth was good at 6 and it merits an experiment.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Good to see Larkham's first contact with Hawera was only a few days before he turned up to training and was told he was the frontrunner for the 10 jersey that season.

I have to say he looks a bit out of shape.

Thoughts?

I'm so conflicted on the Brumbies squad for this season.

IMO Sio, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Fardy, Cubelli, Godwin, Kuridrani and Speight will have to really step up this year, as I'm not convinced on anyone else.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Brumbies will be very reliant on those players, no doubt. But I am expecting a very big year from Henry Speight as well.

Remember, he was the outstanding winger in the country, and arguably one of the very best in Super Rugby a couple of years ago. He then copped a couple of really bad injuries, and we can see from any number of injured players (notably Tevita Kuridrani) how long it can take to regain full strength and form. On top of that, he spent the best part of last year with the 7s, and consequently changed his body shape and the manner in which he played the game.

With a full pre-season behind him and presumably a bit more bulk from last year, he only has to approach the form he was in two or three years ago to again be very threatening out on the wing.

Also, don't write off Ben Alexander at this level. He is still a relatively young person by prop standards, and is very experienced. I can't see too many opposition front rows getting on top of the Brumbies' this year. The tight five, and their backups, will be a strength again in open play and at the set piece.

The loss of Pocock will arguably be the only real deficiency this year as compared with 2016. Neither Matty To'omua nor Christian Lealiifano were available all year round, and Joe Tomane's absence will be adequately covered by Taliauli or Dargaville. If the young gun No 10s can prove to be at least capable then they could have a similar successful year to last.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Neither Matty To'omua nor Christian Lealiifano were available all year round, and Joe Tomane's absence will be adequately covered by Taliauli or Dargaville.

I'm certain Lilo played every game last year, and neither of those two wingers can hold a candle to Tomane........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thanks Slim and BJ. Just can't rely on memory these days. The 10 spot will of course be crucial to the Brumbies' success or otherwise this year, but I'm expecting they will be more competitive than many seem to think again on the back of pretty much the same set of forwards, minus Poey. Even though Squeaky has also gone, I think there will be adequate cover at No 2 with Saia and Josh Mann-Rea.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Also, don't write off Ben Alexander at this level. He is still a relatively young person by prop standards, and is very experienced. I can't see too many opposition front rows getting on top of the Brumbies' this year.

I am not sure that you can call Ben A relatively young at 32.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Steve Larkham and Andrew Walker to play in the Brisbane 10s

0a6ba222f3ccc49a081c1a82161b3cd6.jpg

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting read and a good reminder that 2017 will be a[nother] defining year for the Brumbies on and off the field.

It's a timely reminder that their are skeletons still in the cupboard and more parts to this saga to play out.

One can only hope that 2017 the Brumbies end up on the positive side of things both on and off the field.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...-as-tension-simmers-away-20170118-gttsqa.html

From those that pay attention it appears the 1st cost cutting victim is no season guide for members.

Now bring on the Super Rugby season and a new coach to set a fresh agenda! (or stir the pot of discontent with more in-house appointments).

Status
Not open for further replies.