• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Already looking forward to the Foxtel comms mangling his name :)

Is this a good thing, tho? Two Strayan Super Rugby outfits with kiwi 5/8's on their books doesn't exactly build potential future Wobs depth in what's already a problematic position, unless one or both suddenly starts playing the house down (note that no kiwi Super Rugby side was interested in either) & then decides to qualify by residency, becoming eligible some time after RWC 2019.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Is this a good thing, tho? Two Strayan Super Rugby outfits with kiwi 5/8's on their books doesn't exactly build potential future Wobs depth in what's already a problematic position, unless one or both suddenly starts playing the house down (note that no kiwi Super Rugby side was interested in either) & then decides to qualify by residency, becoming eligible some time after RWC 2019.

If you haven't worked out by now, forward planning is an after though in Aussie rugby!

Sadly its the situation of our own making so its as good as it gets. I have said it before that there are some good back up 10's that will be riding the pine that could be out having a crack but when it comes to Super Rugby its each to their own and to buggery with queen and country.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ Another consequence of not having centralised contracting. Maybe it's something ARU needs to start pursuing, using the Wales model?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
IMHO it would one of the smartest things the ARU could do to solve some player deficiencies quickly, even if its a short term intuitive as lead in to the RWC. It would fast track a few and there will be some casualties, but its the price that's to be pad if they want to make the big steps ready for the big dance.

As you have highlighted, the situation with 2x kiwi 5/8's means that 2x Aussie players spots have been taken for no long term return. Even if the spots discounted players (they were not god enough when given the chance) its still progress as you have advanced the queue.

But, I look forward to watching our new Kiwi 10. A good Christmas present for him.

So, how do you say his name?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ kinda depends on where you come from but:

Farr Ra Noo E
Har Wear Ra

Slight pause between Ra & Noo then another between Wear & Ra, hardly any between Farr & Ra, Noo & E, Har & Wear.

Auto correct really needs to learn Te Reo Maori :)

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^Thats a bit complex for us Auzzies!

Farr Ra fuckén what? No E?

In the good'óle proper Aussie vernacular his surname will sound like a quizzical retort; "Hardware, eh"?

I do have to say its hard to look past the irony of the situation. So with Australian rugby is struggling to find some homegrown talent @10, the Wallabies backs coach is coaching a second string kiwi.

I am waiting for your Kiwi brethren (one in particular) to start to take the piss.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am waiting for your Kiwi brethren (one in particular) to start to take the piss.

Could be a while, he's got this Award thingy that I believe he's taken a liking to.......
image.jpeg

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...16-gagr-forum-awards.17316/page-2#post-900859

So, yeah, I guess it's something like Warren Hardware as far as Foxtel are concerned.

EDIT: to quote the mighty Shane McGowan, "And I never even got so far that they could change my name"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I assume this would delay the process if he was interested:

Hawera will return for a second season with the Stags after the Super Rugby campaign.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
But still preferable to having Jooste and Powell as the combo. Mightn't be ideal, however given the circumstances, probably necessary.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Brumbies probably also have issues if Hawera is a clear first choice 10 for them in 2017.

Southland were second last in the lower division of the Mitre 10 Cup and had the lowest number of points for and worst points differential in the whole comp. I'm not saying in any way that the Stags' poor results are down to Hawera but on paper it doesn't look like a successful option in a substantially higher level competition.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The timing of the Lealiifano illness wasn't ideal from the angle that most contract spots for the following season are filled, save for a a few here or there.

It's probably no different to when the Force had Pretorius and Ripia pencilled in at 10 before a hamstring tear and a 5 finger discount.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^injuries are never at the right time either but it still does not answer the question why the cupboard was bare when it came to back up 10 options and there was no thought of any contingency; rather the fall back is a kid who they have little faith in yet.

T

TOCC

If that were the plan you think they would have started it through the NRC

Status
Not open for further replies.