• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^^Really good news and with negotiations ongoing for the back of jersey so potentially more good news to come.

Good to see 2017 off field coming together and Aquis supporting local Rugby. Fingers crossed the Brumbies can continue the good work in to 2018 and beyond.

One interesting aspect was it appears that Aquis were involved in securing the sponsorship unless I am reading some reports and quotes wrongly.

Now its all about finalising the roster and performing on the field.

Combined it will go a long way to heal some wounds.

I bet the ARU are breathing a sigh of relief!;)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Poey.JPG
From Poey's instagram.

Good to see Lealiifano up and about, but he doesn't look great does he? Understandable. I hope the treatment and recovery is going well.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Jersey deals are funny things. I would bet that you would need to be inside the tent to know the actual details of the contracts to decide how good they were. The Tahs have three sponsors on the new jersey, one front and two back. Do they get more or less money for that?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Rory Arnold has signed a 3 year deal to stay with the Brumbies

BJ, it must have been a good deal for him to knock back a French offer of $570,000 a season, for three years!
For a bloke who is 26, and has only been playing Rugby since he was 20, (according to a comment on a sports program that I heard this afternoon), he's done well!!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^^the other oddity with Rory IIRC (and another classic Aussie rugby scenario) is that his rise and discovery had nothing to do with Aussie rugby. It was his time in SA and a certain SA Brumbies coach that lead him to his initial contract at the Brumbies.

You are right Mr Doug, he has done well and it clear he is naturally talented. 6 years in the game to get to the Wallabies. If ever there was a lesson for selectors and coaches about letting the performance of a player dictate if they should play rather than the ingrained preconceptions of a lot of coaches this is it!

He is getting better every year and its great he is staying. The way he is tracking come the the end of 2019, he will be worth even more $$$ and can (most likely deservedly) do the post RWC cash in.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thanks WOB. Christian's unfortunate absence next year is an opportunity for a younger player to step up. Maybe it won't work so well in the first year, but will undoubtedly pay dividends in later years. I, for one, will not be at all concerned if MG can't make it back.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I love teh guy
What exactly does this mean and what is the source, MST?
Sorry, technology issue - posted from my phone and the cut paste link to the Crimes article didn't work. :oops:

I still have the ask the question why you would even go after him in the situation the Brumbies are in when MG has hardly played due to injuries in the last 2yrs and IIRC is yet to play since the Wallabies injury. If you wanted a mentor or someone with experience its not like Christian is a chump.

Really starting to question Bernie as a HC.

T

TOCC

If Giteau was fit and willing to come back for a year and bridge the gap until Lealifano returns or a new 5/8 develops then I think you would be crazy to say no, I don't think any if the younger guys who filled in at 5/8 for the Vikings demonstrated that they were ready to step up to Super Rugby in 2017.

Australia Rugby has a strange objection to veteran players, you look st all the premiership NRL/AFL teams and they have a smattering of 30yr + old guys leading the way.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If Giteau was fit and willing to come back for a year and bridge the gap until Lealifano returns or a new 5/8 develops then I think you would be crazy to say no, I don't think any if the younger guys who filled in at 5/8 for the Vikings demonstrated that they were ready to step up to Super Rugby in 2017.

Australia Rugby has a strange objection to veteran players, you look st all the premiership NRL/AFL teams and they have a smattering of 30yr + old guys leading the way.
If Giteau was fit and willing I would be happy to take him.

The problem is he is not fit and the willing looks more like he knows where his best retirement plan options sit. Mourad loves him and has decided he will take the 2018 option on MG's contract so who would say know to that payday and a swansong in Japan?

From an earlier post of mine (updated):
He has played 9 out of the last 42 Top 14 games and 3 of the 11 ERC games (last season 15/16 and is yet to get on the field this season). All up including the Wallabies game he has played 13 out of 60+ games since mid 2015 - and that is not counting all the potential Wallaby games (RC + EOYT).

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The possible thinking behind this is that Giteau might be have been able to do it for a mate who is facing a tough battle and it's his old team/where he grew up etc.

It's not as if any of the NRC 10's for the Vikings grabbed their chances and the way it's looking for 2017 is that a rookie will be chucked in the deep end in that position.

There's talk of Lealiifano being a mentor/coach but that would depend if he is able to do that in person and that would depend on his recovery from his transplant.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
He ruled out a return to Super Rugby in an interview on the Rugby Dungeon podcast during the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The possible thinking behind this is that Giteau might be have been able to do it for a mate who is facing a tough battle and it's his old team/where he grew up etc.

It's not as if any of the NRC 10's for the Vikings grabbed their chances and the way it's looking for 2017 is that a rookie will be chucked in the deep end in that position.

There's talk of Lealiifano being a mentor/coach but that would depend if he is able to do that in person and that would depend on his recovery from his transplant.

The sentiment is nice and would be great at club level but this is a professional sport so its a performance based requirement, not a heart string job; and having rookies is not a new thing.

I agree with what you are saying about any of the 10's in the NRC which begs the question why Thompson is in the mix and training? Why was Jooste not tagged early as only EPS standard for 2017? Why have we not had more cover drafted in and why we are so thin on the ground with play-makers; even without Christian's diagnosis an injury could have us in the same situation and we all knew Toouma was going.

Was this a case of more sentiment and flogging the Robbie Coleman donkey a little too much? Robbie wasn't even up to NRC standard this year.

It has to asked why are we so late in the day with trying to find a 10? This has been coming for at least the last year if not 2. The Brumbies back-line has been woeful and its common knowledge that we were lacking depth at 10 (any) and 12 (of good quality) for an extended period.

It's would be a fair question to ask how a Super Rugby HC and Wallabies backline coach can be so well pants by failing to recruit to fix a known issue.

Maybe the reason the Brumbies are having this and many other issues is a problem with sentiment and emotional attachments rather than being sufficiently professional and performance based.

Status
Not open for further replies.