• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
1. Scott Sio
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Sam Carter
5. Rory Arnold
6. Scott Fardy
7. Chris Alcock
8. Lolo Fakaosilea
9. Joe Powell
10. Wharenui Hawera
11. ?
12. Kyle Godwin
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Aidan Toua

Any reason Larkham wouldn't name this team on Wednesday (except with a stronger left wing, maybe Dargaville)?

Butler over Alcock?

Wasn't Butler one of your best players a few seasons back?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do you have inside word on Lolo's selection? It'd surprise me, but intrigue me.

Jarrad Butler probably the leading candidate or is he injured?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Do you have inside word on Lolo's selection? It'd surprise me, but intrigue me.

Jarrad Butler probably the leading candidate or is he injured?

I don't have any inside word, I'd just figured the Brumbies needed an imposing No.8 to round out the balance in their back row.

I do have a feeling I saw a Blocka / Panda / Brett McKay tweet saying it was a two-way battle between Fakaosilea and Valentini for the vacant Ita Vaea jersey, but that might have been in the long term.

Jarrad is certainly the more accomplished 7 than Alcock so maybe Butler gets the chance to occupy that jersey for an extended stretch.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^Butler is Ok but is not really a 7 and IMHO, you would get better breakdown pressure from Fardy or Smiler at 7. I would still like to see Alcock given a good crack at 7 as the options at 5/6/8 provide a good base but lack that point of difference a real 7 brings.

Based on what I have see Fakaosilea needs to show his goods and worth fast (hard to get a read on him yet) as Valentini is a real unit and showing some really good signs that he will be a force on field.

Larkham tends to be risk adverse so I would expect an experience over form selection with Valentini off the bench if he can fit him in.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyone know the status of Nick Jooste? Missing from early trials and the Brisbane 10s?

Will he be a regular in the main squad, or is he likely to play U20s?

I cant find any word or signs of an injury as i have been wondering the same. so I am now wondering if they are holding him back a safe guard.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^Butler is Ok but is not really a 7 and IMHO, you would get better breakdown pressure from Fardy or Smiler at 7. I would still like to see Alcock given a good crack at 7 as the options at 5/6/8 provide a good base but lack that point of difference a real 7 brings.

Based on what I have see Fakaosilea needs to show his goods and worth fast (hard to get a read on him yet) as Valentini is a real unit and showing some really good signs that he will be a force on field.

Larkham tends to be risk adverse so I would expect an experience over form selection with Valentini off the bench if he can fit him in.

Yep - Alcock over Butler in the No 7 spot for me too. CA is a real No 7 if not one likely to play above Super Rugby level. JB is really a relatively light No 8 who doesn't have a lot of impact with ball in hand. I agree that Valetini looks to be something special. Reminds me a little of George Smith when he first arrived at the Brumbies. If he's half as good, he'll do me, but I think given his age he should be eased into the turmoil of Super Rugby rather than being a consistent starter this year at least.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I cant find any word or signs of an injury as i have been wondering the same. so I am now wondering if they are holding him back a safe guard.

Maybe an option at 15? He has a pretty massive boot on him, and can run the ball back pretty good too. His absences so far this year are a bit mystifying.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe an option at 15? He has a pretty massive boot on him, and can run the ball back pretty good too. His absences so far this year are a bit mystifying.

I like him as an option at 15. Watching him in the NRC at 15 he didn't look out of place.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Aggressive little bloke, who, from what I've seen, is happy to take on the defense himself at times. Not as experienced as we might have hoped, but certainly with a lot more than 18yo Ryan Lonergan. Will offer a contrast to Joe Powell's play, so could work out.
Larkhan was after a old head some one with life experience and played rugby for a while e.g. an older bloke.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He's 26. That's an older head than both Powell and Lonergan. He has a couple of years' experience at Shute Shield level and a good NRC campaign behind him. The next step up on the rugby ladder is a Super contract which he wasn't going to get any time soon with the Tahs. And ultimately, Larkham was constrained by the availability of players. All in all, I think he was probably the best fit available for what Larkham wanted, and will give a good account of himself whenever required.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
He's 26. That's an older head than both Powell and Lonergan. He has a couple of years' experience at Shute Shield level and a good NRC campaign behind him. The next step up on the rugby ladder is a Super contract which he wasn't going to get any time soon with the Tahs. And ultimately, Larkham was constrained by the availability of players. All in all, I think he was probably the best fit available for what Larkham wanted, and will give a good account of himself whenever required.

I didn't realise that Roo's was only on a 2 month contract. Hedging bets?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes, apparently just to cover for the anticipated period Tomas is unavailable, but with the proviso that his efforts could earn a full or further contract after that if he goes good enough. Not sure what the longer term situation is with Tomas. As an overseas marquee player, I would have thought this would be his last year with the Brumbies, but I've seen reports that he and Larkham are apparently talking about an extension. Anyone know what's going on?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes, apparently just to cover for the anticipated period Tomas is unavailable, but with the proviso that his efforts could earn a full or further contract after that if he goes good enough. Not sure what the longer term situation is with Tomas. As an overseas marquee player, I would have thought this would be his last year with the Brumbies, but I've seen reports that he and Larkham are apparently talking about an extension. Anyone know what's going on?

My maths may be poor but initial reports were it was a season ending injury, then Tomas updated that time table suggesting best case around 4 months so I am not sure how that all adds up.

From the recent reporting it appears they are interested in him staying, and he has similar sentiments. I saw suggestions of another 2 years in some reports. I would figure with Cheika keen to develop Powell, having Tomas around would support that process.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Rob played U20s for Victoria, NRC for the Rising and signed a full time deal for the Brumbies all as a schoolboy (first Vic schoolboy boy to sign a Pro contract as such as well possibly?) and if the rumours are true, Scott Johnson has already made contact, on the basis of a Scottish Grandparent.

Rookie of the year is a stretch too far IMO, there's Koirobete, Meakes, Maddocks, Rona, Lomax, Simone and Perese who're all both "rookies" and likely to regularly feature in their teams best 23, but that's an impressive Resume for someone not turning 19 till September.

Status
Not open for further replies.