• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Tuoa is being picked as the second playmaker with in there team, hence why his being picked before Banks.. Not saying its right.. just thats the reason

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The best description I've heard for our backline this year is "playmaker by committee". It's definitely the case that playmaking is one of the things getting Toua ahead of Banks.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
And there I was thinking the second playmaker would play @12....:rolleyes:

Its an interesting concept to consider how you quantify the effectiveness of a playmaker @15. It is even more interesting when you compare the stats and realise that Toua has plenty of carries, lots of meters, oodles of passes and a staggering amount of open field kicks.

But out of all of that the passes might give a hint of an issue. Not many tries comparatively, lower points, less defenders beaten, less offloads, less clean breaks and less try assists, all on top of a high turn over rate.

Godwin is yet to get to 100meters this season and shares the same traits as Toua with low clean break and defenders beaten and high pass and kick numbers.

Generally the stats indicate there are only 2 backs (excluding the 9 &10) that take on the line being TK and Henry. Dargaville has been giving it a crack but has had little opportunity.

Its also interesting to see that how similar the carries, clean breaks, defenders beaten and offloads are between TK and Hawera. Hawera has also made more tackles then TK in less minutes.

Banks clean breaks and defenders beaten stats (averaged out) are much better better than Toua's.

So the question is playmaker or passenger? Is it distracting from and / or limiting the line being taken on? If you shut down TK and Henry, it appears there is no one going at the line.

The gamble with Muirhead might be to try and get another running player who take on the defence.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies are off to Mauritius for the World Club 10's again and then to Singapore for an exhibition game in the June Test window.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
The season isn't over but I take my hat off to Larkham and crew for making another finals series. So much negativity and criticism thrown their way and the majority of 'fans' condemning them to a near bottom finish at the beginning of the season.
Have a well earned rest guys, good luck to the Wallaby contingent, and giddy up for the rest of the season...go the Brumbies!!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I admittedly had them finishing 3rd in the conference behind the Reds and Waratahs based on who wasn't there, not who was. They've found a few gems for next year so hopefully they can be retained.

Yes, they haven't done well in some areas but consider they've had a new halves combo and they have done OK considering.

At this point they've scored 38 tries with 13 of those in the last 3 games and only conceded 28 which is 23 less than the next best Aussie side.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is what the Brumbies always do: as a recent convert I can say this without bias.
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and that's an attitude thing and is what a team is about.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
IS, has always been a strength of the Brumbies right from the outset. The only period I can recall that the team work fell apart was the second coming of Matt Giteau, and the results showed. He will never be forgiven for his poor influence in those dark days.

Looking to the immediate future, and to enhance their involvement in the finals series, Mick Byrne needs to be invited in as soon as the test break is over, to add some finishing touches to the improvements now being seen with the team and coaching staff.

Reactions: mst

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, has always been a strength of the Brumbies right from the outset. The only period I can recall that the team work fell apart was the second coming of Matt Giteau, and the results showed. He will never be forgiven for his poor influence in those dark days.

Looking to the immediate future, and to enhance their involvement in the finals series, Mick Byrne needs to be invited in as soon as the test break is over, to add some finishing touches to the improvements now being seen with the team and coaching staff.

Lets hold that invite until we see how the Wobblies go.
The Brumbies have also used the "us and them" which McQueen brought from the Warringah Rats to very great effect in the early days: inviting the establishment in to help might be counterproductive.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies have 2 squads going to overseas events in the Test window.

Firstly, the World Club 10's are on again in Maurtius this weekend and the Brumbies are sending a mostly U20's squad with 2 Brumbies squad members:
Charlie Hancock (Uni-Norths Owls)
Samuel Thomas (Tuggeranong Vikings)
David Bennett (Uni-Norths Owls)
Angus Wagner (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Oscar Cunningham (Gungahlin Eagles)
Brodie Leber (Westerns Districts Lions)
Darcy Swain (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Joshua Fenner (Queanbeyan Whites)
Issak Fines-Leleiwasa (Sunnybank)
Jackson Duffey (Gungahlin Eagles)
Len Ikitau (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Jamie Kotz (Gungahlin Eagles)
Joshua Turner (Manly)
Ben Johnston (Royals Rugby Club)
Jarrad Butler
Aidan Toua

Brumbies pool matches on Saturday (AEST) are: 4:24pm vs Cheetahs, 8:00pm vs Bulls, 11:12pm vs Tsunami Pyrenees and will be in Be In Sports.

Secondly, the squad are off to play a match against the Asia Pacific Dragons in Singapore on June 22 (not at the big stadium). The match should be live streamed at 9pm (AEST) and the squad is:
Robbie ABEL
Nigel AH-WONG
Chris ALCOCK
Tom BANKS
Jarrad BUTLER
Tom CUSACK
Lolo FAKAOSILEA
Wharenui HAWERA
Ben HYNE
Jordan JACKSON-HOPE
Leslie LEULUA’IALI’I-MAKIN
Ryan LONERGAN
Josh MANN-REA
Nic MAYHEW
George MORSEU
Andrew MUIRHEAD
Andrew ROBINSON
Faalelei SIONE
Jordan SMILER
Tom STANIFORTH
Darcy SWAIN
Sione TAULA

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
IRO the Singapore squad, would be good to see someone else at 10. maybe JJH, just to test alternatives. Have Hawera off the bench if the thinking is that he needs game time, but he has had plenty.

Reactions: mst

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
The team for the Singapore game only seems to have 22 listed - and only one scrum half that I can see. Maybe Cubelli to be added, saw him walking around the Canberra Centre today and he looked fit and healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.