• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
And, unfortunately, the impact of a forwards dominated game plan doesn't end there. Too often, with the backline set, the play will be disrupted by a forward taking the ball at about the No 12 spot and just dying as soon as the defense is reached. Main culprits are Squeaky Moore and David Pocock.

This is the "structural" issue in the game plan that was identified and exploited in round 6 and yet to be corrected. IIRC the Chiefs identified that this produces a defensive weakness with forwards in the centre field and was targeted with great success by the likes of McKenzie counter attacking through the slow forwards in the centre channels.

It also allows opposing defences to target the following Brumbies habits:
  • one up forwards - to slow the ball or compete at the breakdown
  • our backs don't commit defenders as they don't go to the line and take contact most of the time so they the opposition don't have to commit resources
  • reluctance to offload so defenders know that the ball will not be kept alive and can reset easily
Add in the kicking as a the habitual exit strategy or default option when the attack is under pressure, most teams set up to receive and counter attack as the 1st option and target that channel (centre) which has turned in to the well known super highway to the try line.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wait, is it actually true the Brumbies are signing A Fainga'a or was TOCC and BJ taking the piss?

I really hope they're taking the piss............

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Wait, is it actually true the Brumbies are signing A Fainga'a or was TOCC and BJ taking the piss?

I really hope they're taking the piss....
I really, really hope they are taking this piss, but with abundance of stupidity around things in general atm, I am erring on the side of another random act of stupidity! It will mean we will have about 92 utility backs!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I wonder if that's a sign we're not getting Godwin?

Crap! Forgot about him.

Least with Godwin it may be of some value rather than the third choice option from the Reds.

There are at least 2 if not more good JiD players / U20's etc that could be signed in place of either or both or these players that would be far more beneficial to the Brumbies in both the long and short term.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Any news on the movements of Alcock and Godwin? If Alcock move doesn't eventuate I wouldn't mind seeing Michael Wells spending some time on the side of the scrum next year he looks a more natural flanker than an 8.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Any news on the movements of Alcock and Godwin? If Alcock move doesn't eventuate I wouldn't mind seeing Michael Wells spending some time on the side of the scrum next year he looks a more natural flanker than an 8.
Alcock is signed and Godwin is 95% done, apparently. Not sure what the hold up is but the Force have confirmed he's leaving Perth.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Alcock again had a pretty good game against the Brumbies. My impression is that he was better than either Wells or Butler in the pilfering stakes. Will be good to see a real no 7 on the books to replace Poey, although I agree that Wells looks to be a more natural No 7 than No 8. Don't know why Bernie plays them the other way round.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good luck to Lomax and the Rebels. He will be a loss to Canberra, but was after Smith, Alexander and Makin with the Brumbies (assuming Ruan does sign for next year). That's a very strong lineup for the THP spot.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So anyone else just a wee bit concerned that the Brumbies still don't have a HC contracted for 2017?

I am intrigued as to why Burnie is still yet to sign. Love to be a fly on the wall and find out why!

The contract was offered to him before the Jones thing kick off - so its been unresolved for more than a few months.

If the ARU were to offer full time assistant jobs........would he?

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
It doesn't seem to sit right they we have re-signed Alexander for a year while one of the most promising props in the country has signed elsewhere.

All the best to Lomax, hopefully see him back in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.