• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nice depth option - but Slipper shoulnd't be riding the pine in Canberra. He should be starting # 1 in Melbourne.
If people know anything about high performance they’d understand players to perform at their best need to be playing as much as possible and as regular as possible. It’s one of the reasons why Naivalu needs to leave the rebels and Slipper shouldn’t be riding the pine. Even if they share the load 8 games starting and a few appearances off the bench isn’t going to maximize output from both. Such a need for the Irish model and asap. Surely we should be looking at a model that gets Slipper to the rebels and in return Naivalu and/or say Tom English to the Brumbies to fix their deficiencies as well. Instead we have the 2nd best LH playing second fiddle to another at club level and one of the best wingers playing 10/15mins a game at another franchise. Crazy. Surely there a way all parties could win

Rant over

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe he feels like that a move to Canberra would be better for him than a move to Melbourne. In light of his recent troubles and history of injuries, maybe Canberra's a safer option both mentally and physically.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
And the Brumbies dont need Sefa or Tom English.. We have Speight Murihead Peni Pulu Banks all lined up for wingers and Ive forgotten some.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
As an aside, I think it's a load of rubbish to think about Wallabies issues at the Brumbies. If it was that important to have Slipper starting every week at Super level, you'd think Rugby Australia would have had a word to Brad Thorn or something. If you want to argue about the value to Australian rugby of having Slipper in Canberra, there's:
and so on.
What does Slipper coming to Canberra mean for the Brumbies? Are you happy that we'll be mitigating the loss of Nic Mayhew? Are you frustrated that it could be a potential barrier to Vunipola Fafita's development? My fear is that he'll be picked at 3 ahead of Ala'alatoa just to fit talent into the starting squad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the TH side is adequately covered atm with AAT, Makin and Ross as a development prospect.

I don't think Taula is quite up to NRC standard so would be lacking at Super level, and he is getting on. The LH side is not covered well atm with the loss of both Mayhew (who was excellent off the bench) and Sione. Fefita is showing good signs in the NRC but would benefit from a year or two learning from Sio and Slipper. I would go for Slipper at the Brumbies any day of the week. Without a back up player of his calibre, Sio will be under immense pressure next year.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Taliauli isn't around next year is he? Shame because he's looked quite good this NRC and the game he got against the Tahs to finish the Super season.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
he has looked well above the standard IMO. Hopefully leads to a cracking Super Rugby campaign for him, I really think he's a talented fella who's just settling in

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
On Taliauli, people have seen how brilliant he is for about a decade now. Back in u16s:
Queensland White 65 Western Australia 13

Star players: I saw a big Kiwi Islander player in a test at Hunters Hill in 2000 carrying Oz blokes on his back down the park. Qld White winger Taliauli didn't quite do that but he was reminiscent of the other guy. He was almost impossible to stop and scored 4 tries, I think. The Kiwi player's name, by the way, was Joe Rokocoko.

At the schoolboys comp the next year:

Taliauli's 5 pies today sealed his inclusion
I would expect the GPS 1 team to go to nationals intact except maybe for the left wing where I would expect Nowlan to be replaced by either Goodrich of Toowoomba or Taliauli from TSS who put in a sterling performance today with 5 tries

Taken by League's u20s system, but then returned for 7s:
Titans lose Taliauli to union

THE Titans have lost another flyer to the other rugby code, with giant winger Lausi'i Taliauli following in the footsteps of former teammate Shannon Walker and being ushered into the Australian sevens team.

The 194cm, 100kg teen was to make his IRB world series debut on the Gold Coast but a groin injury will prevent him from turning out in front of a home crowd.

While rugby is the first love for Taliauli, the former Australian Schoolboys representative switched to league when he was handed a contract by the Titans to turn out in the Toyota Cup under-20 competition.

Read more:
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/10/10/439525_rugby-sport.html

Since then, a few of us have seen a lot of promise in Taliauli.
Can totally see Taliauli becoming the next Tomane, he's fantastic and I want to see more of him.
Joe Tomane's absence will be adequately covered by Taliauli

I think this season has done wonders for his chances. He was already liked by McKellar at the start of the season, but we saw him really work his way into the side until he was the established 3rd choice. If Speight's form continues to struggle, I can see Taliauli stealing that spot with ease.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I could also see Taliauli covering 13.........

He and Muirhead are really playing well, so there'll be some tough choices to make next year.

I see Peni playing a lot of club rugby.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Taliauli has shown his defensive ability, both in his tackling and his positioning. However, he's been aided out wide by the sideline (which he is very good at forcing opponents over), which is rarely an option for a 13. Definitely think he could cover 13 in an emergency, but I'd still start Ikitau ahead of him in that position.

Peni missed the equivalent of 30 weeks in 18 months through repeat offences, it's one hell of a coach who thinks he can change that about a player.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Henry making his presence felt o/s for Ulster (?) too. Scored the winning try after the bell on the weekend apparently.

Taliauli might be a prospect at 13. He would certainly tend to straighten the attack with his straight running game. He does seem to have a pass on him as well. Kuridrani and Tomane have both been good at wing and 13 at different stages of their careers.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Peni missed the equivalent of 30 weeks in 18 months through repeat offences, it's one hell of a coach who thinks he can change that about a player.

And when he's on the field his general form has been very poor this year - he was completely invisible in his 40 mins against the Rays............

I doubt his contract will be renewed next year.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Simone is raw talent, the guy has all the skills and has all the physical gifts. All he needs is some more game sense and he'll be a shoe-in for the starting 12 jersey.

Ikitau is kind-of the opposite. Not saying anything about his skills or physicality, but it's clear his primary talent is the mental game. On attack, he knows when to run, pass, or kick, knows when to straighten the attack or when to run at an angle, etc. Defensively, his positioning is excellent, and you can hear him talking to the players around him to keep the defensive shape. His tackling, passing, kicking, etc. is all up to scratch, but nothing special. I think he's a great recruit for 13 cover.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Here's hoping to a second Giteau!

I'm still not sure that letting guys like Mayhew and Dargaville go was good business, but the recruiting being done by Damien Hill is tremendous and I'm excited to see how it all goes next season.

You are aware that Hill has departed? :( Personally I would have prefer he took over from McKellar. I cant hep but wonder about the timing noting its to resurrect his coaching career and not too long after the end of season review into McKellar's tenure.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...8.1509964842.1537702473-1394417037.1537702473

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
How did I miss that? I hope we've retained the deliniation between the commercial and sporting elements, and still keeping recruitment and contracts separate from coaching and game-day selections.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Previously mentioned Slipper joining the Rebels... not happening. Slipper will be in Canberra for at least the 2019 season, had intention of joining Rebels however club could not fit him under salary cap or make a swap for a player. Quality signing to join the prop stocks in Canberra.