• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Holy shit, how did "Rory Arnold going to Toulouse" become "Brumbies coaches can't teach calling a lineout"? No need to come into the thread and be a prick.

Rory is a great player. Best maul disruptor in Super Rugby since Skelton left. Only lock to really form a really good partnership with Coleman in Wallaby gold. His story of coming into Rugby Union is a hilariously fun one, and we've been really lucky to have him. I wish him all the best.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Holy shit, how did "Rory Arnold going to Toulouse" become "Brumbies coaches can't teach calling a lineout"? No need to come into the thread and be a prick.

Rory is a great player. Best maul disruptor in Super Rugby since Skelton left. Only lock to really form a really good partnership with Coleman in Wallaby gold. His story of coming into Rugby Union is a hilariously fun one, and we've been really lucky to have him. I wish him all the best.

RC I wasn't trying to be a prick but Cheika was blamed for Arnold going and then for not being able to coach him to be a better lineout operator.

I think Arnold has been a fine player and he is a big loss to Australian rugby but not necessarily the Wallabies.

Just sick of all the blame on Cheika for absolutely everything.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
RC I wasn't trying to be a prick but Cheika was blamed for Arnold going and then for not being able to coach him to be a better lineout operator.

I think Arnold has been a fine player and he is a big loss to Australian rugby but not necessarily the Wallabies.

Just sick of all the blame on Cheika for absolutely everything.
Apologies for snapping at you. Stressful time of year for many, but no excuse for playing the man.

Agreed on people blaming Cheika for everything (though I will clarify that I still hold him accountable for many things). Like with Fardy, I think the inexplicable lack of selection for the Wallabies has played its part in him leaving. That said, this is almost certainly a move to earn the big paycheque and to play some more rugby with his brother.

It opens the door for Swain in 2020, and Australian rugby has other good locks (Coleman, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Rodda, Philip, Carter, and Enever).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2018 stats had them 7th (behind the waratahs and rebels)

Yeah, according to the Fox Sports stats equal % with the Rebels, and 1% behind the Tahs.......... 3% separating the top 8 teams.

Rory Arnold topPed the Aussies for lineout wins.

The Brumbies has a sketchy first couple of rounds due to forced new combinations, but having actually watched them play this year the lineout quickly resorted back to the standard that had been instilled since Jake White came on board - it's generally been one of their strengths, and this year Arnold acted as the caller and primary jumper in a number of games and the lineout functioned perfectly fine, as per my initial point.

Regardless of Arnold’s qualifications, if there’s one thing Cheika deserves criticism for it’s most definitely for the woeful Wallabies lineout under his tenure, and the reasons for that which have been discussed ad nauseam around here for the last four years.........

But that also has nothing to do with Arnold, the Brumbies, their coaches etc.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Rory was the outstanding lock in the Aussie Super teams in 2018. Only Rodda in the last few tests really matched his standard. I have no doubt at all that Cheika continually omitting him had a bearing on his decision to leave. He will be sorely missed by the Brumbies, although I have great admiration for Darcy Swain and am confident he will eventually reach test standard to coincide hopefully with the last we ever see of Cheika at the national team.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rory was the outstanding lock in the Aussie Super teams in 2018. Only Rodda in the last few tests really matched his standard. I have no doubt at all that Cheika continually omitting him had a bearing on his decision to leave. He will be sorely missed by the Brumbies, although I have great admiration for Darcy Swain and am confident he will eventually reach test standard to coincide hopefully with the last we ever see of Cheika at the national team.

Im sure not being picked was part of his reason for going but not the only one.

He is a very talented but hugely frustrating player. His performance in the 2017 Dunedin test was awesome. He ran with good body height and through the line but when he was down in confidence he seemed to run upright and turned his body position as he got to the line. This lead to him being held up and to lose the momentum of the run. At the line out he has an incredible reach which made up for his slowness off the ground. Definitely one of the best maul defenders/disruptors going around.

I wish him all the best and I completely sympathize with Brumbies fans being annoyed with the number of quality players lost over the past few years. Ones who found themselves just outside the top wallaby jobs (Fardy, Mogg, Tomane, To'omua, Mowen, Goodwin and White) along with some other solid super players (Butler, Smiler, Mayhew and Abel). I am sure there is more ive forgotten to mention.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some absolute beauties have been lost over the years.

Fardy left at least partly, perhaps mainly, because he was omitted from the Wallabies; Tomane was rated the No 1 Winger in the Wallabies when he left; Mowen was the Wallabies' captain and left partly because of a failure by the ARU to offer a top up, and partly for family/travel reasons; White was the perennial second choice No 9 who spent the majority of time on the bench for the full 80 minutes game time (remind you of the treatment of Joe Powell?). Mayhew was developing into a very impressive prop and I won't be at all surprised to see him in all black after the RWC.

Top class players from other teams who have left for arguably reasons of omission here are Gill, Naiyaravoro and Sean McMahon. Whether it is primarily the Super teams or RA who are failing to retain some of the best is a bit beside the point - a lot of talent is being lost and at least is partly due to perceived treatment from rugby administrators and coaches.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Some absolute beauties have been lost over the years.

Fardy left at least partly, perhaps mainly, because he was omitted from the Wallabies; Tomane was rated the No 1 Winger in the Wallabies when he left; Mowen was the Wallabies' captain and left partly because of a failure by the ARU to offer a top up, and partly for family/travel reasons; White was the perennial second choice No 9 who spent the majority of time on the bench for the full 80 minutes game time (remind you of the treatment of Joe Powell?). Mayhew was developing into a very impressive prop and I won't be at all surprised to see him in all black after the RWC.

Top class players from other teams who have left for arguably reasons of omission here are Gill, Naiyaravoro and Sean McMahon. Whether it is primarily the Super teams or RA who are failing to retain some of the best is a bit beside the point - a lot of talent is being lost and at least is partly due to perceived treatment from rugby administrators and coaches.

But isn't that always going to happen? It is part and parcel of breeding players and making selection calls.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
All respect Arnold has played 4 seasons with the brumbies and has given the club a years notice to line-up a replacement.... I thank f and wish him well...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
2019 - the year of the Brumby.

Looking at the Brumbies' squad for 2019, we should be expecting a far better outcome than was achieved in 2018. For my money, they are strong enough to take out the Aussie conference and if their attacking mindset that we saw at the end of the 2018 season continues then they could well be in the hunt for the Super Rugby title.

The side will be particularly strong in the forwards with an almost full strength Wallaby pack. The tight five is laced with experience and ability, and should be able to put away the other Aussie sides. In the back row is Pocock, say no more.

While the backs might have some other supporters doubting them, they should have ample good, quick ball from the forwards to allow them the freedom to play as McKellar wants them. The halves pairing of Powell and Hawera is not rated by other supporters but they have as much or more creativity as any of the halves combinations elsewhere, including in Genia and Quade until we see how Quade comes back to this level of play. The Reds' halves are very green and the Tahs are just so humdrum.

There is plenty of pace out wide with Henry, Pulu, Taliauli and Banks, and they'll be fed by the creativity of Lealiifano and the strength and domineering play from TK who was again at the peak of his powers at the end of 2018.

As always, injuries will play a big part in the success or otherwise of every team, but the Brumbies look to be well served for reserves covering all spots in 2019.

I expect to see a starting lineup early in the year of:

Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Carter, Samu, Pocock, Valetini - (that's 7 out of 8 Wallabies for those counting) - Powell, Hawera, Pulu, Leali'ifano, Kuridrani, Speight, Banks - (that's another 5 Wallabies capped or in the squad).

On the bench would be:

Mann-Rea, Slipper, Makin, Swain/Enever, Enever/McCaffrey, Lucas, Simone, Muirhead/Taliauli. Three more Wallabies on the bench.

So long as the attacking gameplan holds up, this squad should be able to win most, if not all home games, and quite a few away, leading to a return to the Brumbies' glory days as the best of the Australian teams up there with any from NZ or SA.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
thankfully you have the completely injury free Rob Valentini to cover him.

Blake Enever at 6 anyone?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Enever's not a bad option but with Valetini, Pocock and Samu as the likely starting backrow, I think Blake will more likely be lock/6 cover off the bench. He will get some time in the starting lineup with Wallabies being rested (how optimistic am I? Will Cheika have either of Rory or Sam in mind I wonder).