• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's the attitude that I think just might convince Poey to stay for another year or so too. Post RWC, the Brumbies will continue to have one of the strongest packs in Super Rugby and will be a good chance to go the whole way in the competition. Poey must be feeling a little let down this year by his very small contribution due to injury, and it would not surprise if he elected to give it another year here with a view to helping the team reach the top next year.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fuck Yes... Good Signing. We have the best front rowers in the country

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's the attitude that I think just might convince Poey to stay for another year or so too. Post RWC, the Brumbies will continue to have one of the strongest packs in Super Rugby and will be a good chance to go the whole way in the competition. Poey must be feeling a little let down this year by his very small contribution due to injury, and it would not surprise if he elected to give it another year here with a view to helping the team reach the top next year.

I think you maybe right, and hopefully he gets on the pitch, I feel Canberra probably suits him as well as a place to live.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
With Poey gone, do we simply take it on the chin (nobody can replace him) and give the cap space and game time to guys who have impressed this year (eg. Brown, Samu)? Or do we try to replace him (eg. go for broke and make an offer for McMahon)?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The word is Will Miller is coming down, but the question is would he be a better pick at 7 over Samu or even Brown?

There's still Valetini, McCaffrey and Cusack on the books as well.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The word is Will Miller is coming down, but the question is would he be a better pick at 7 over Samu or even Brown?

There's still Valetini, McCaffrey and Cusack on the books as well.

Hyne is still on the books, I'm hoping he comes good as a big bodied backrower, as I've said in the Tah's thread, I don't think Miller gets on the pitch with our best back-row fit ( 6 Valentini , 7 Samu , 8 McCaffrey )

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Here's a thought........

Will Skelton is possibly returning to Australia to be eligible for the RWC............

With the Brumbies losing both Arnold and Carter, maybe we should be targeting him?

He could flourish under the tutelage of Laurie Fisher.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Here's a thought....

Will Skelton is possibly returning to Australia to be eligible for the RWC....

With the Brumbies losing both Arnold and Carter, maybe we should be targeting him?

He could flourish under the tutelage of Laurie Fisher.

Would be a nice pickup to play along side Swain, we could cover his lineout weakness with our taller backrowers. But I think there's about zero chance he doesn't go to the Tahs.

Has anyone heard that Speight's looking at moving to the Reds would be devo if he played for a different Super team.

S

Show-n-go

Would be a nice pickup to play along side Swain, we could cover his lineout weakness with our taller backrowers. But I think there's about zero chance he doesn't go to the Tahs.

Has anyone heard that Speight's looking at moving to the Reds would be devo if he played for a different Super team.

I wouldn’t say zero

I reckon tahs are in for a couple of pretty shit years. If he is interested in winning a super title, brumbies would be a much safer bet. But that means having to live in Canberra so I guess if he just wants to cash checks and play for the wallabies he will go tahs

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
why would Speight move? Closer to family? Does he have some here? Warmer climates?

Can't be footy related as its not as if he's not getting game time.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
why would Speight move? Closer to family? Does he have some here? Warmer climates?

Can't be footy related as its not as if he's not getting game time.
Don't know it was posted by a Rebels support, I haven't heard anything to suggest he would move, hence why I asked here, and I agree his playing great footy for the Brumbies in a team that's playing quite well. I would have thought overseas if anything.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I never knew why Speight chose to come here from Waikato in the first place, and lord knows how much he gives to the community here and to the game as a whole. He clearly loves Canberra, I'd be shocked if he left for somewhere in Australia.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hyne is still on the books, I'm hoping he comes good as a big bodied backrower, as I've said in the Tah's thread, I don't think Miller gets on the pitch with our best back-row fit ( 6 Valentini , 7 Samu , 8 McCaffrey )

I'd say Browns form has probably pushed Hyne out the door.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think Brown and Hyne are similar players at all, and, if Hyne is retained, it will be as a depth option to cover McCaffrey and Valetini.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe .. was that who he came into replace ? Im not so sure they wont find a place for him, his still youngish and if he can get fit he will push for starting honors.

From what I've seen from Hyne, I don't know if he will ever be pushing for starting honours.......... not really in the same league as Valetini, McCaffrey or Samu.

Cusack was also far more dominant at NRC than Hyne............

Hyne would certainly add to the depth of the squad though if fit............ if fit.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, Hyne is a big if. He was Mowen-esque when playing consistently, and generally considered to be on track to play most Brumbies games this year (though not likely as a starter), but the best ability is availability and he doesn't have that. You get away with it when you're Pocock because nobody can do what you do, but most other players are totally replaceable.

Here's the line from McKellar that I think damns him:
"The most impressive thing about Ben is how he has handled and dealt with the adversity of a serious injury," McKellar said.
"He has worked extremely hard to get back to full fitness and has stayed engaged with the playing group, contributing to meetings and watching vision.
"He hasn’t dwelt on the injury and that says a lot about his character.
"Ben was in great form last year and was named man of the match in the first three or four NRC fixtures. He is tough and is a very good defensive player.
"He’s smart in attack, has good skills and runs good lines and he is excellent in the line-out both in attack and defence.
"We are hopeful that the injuries are behind him and that he can forge ahead with his career as he has the potential."
Source: https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/08/08/hyne-hanging-around-in-canberra