• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies V Force Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Good win from the Brumbies. As jake said last year they would have lost that. It's all about wiining and building confidence at these early stages. ever new era needs a start :)
The Brumbies were delebrately kicking the ball away in a "lets hope your crapper then we are and make errors" tactic and it worked. I'd be worried if i was a force man. They had most of the ball and position but couldn't offer much. I hope they can get tehre act together a little more. Always had a soft spot for them. In regards to the off the ball stuff was more frustration then anything. Standard pushing To'omua in the ball at the end summed the force up. Also Charles has always been a bit of dick since he firast came onto the syd-uni production line.

I really like the look of Nic White. He's steady and makes the right decisions. Shame about his goal kicking. Shocking stuff. He'll play for Australia some day. Jesse Mogg looked the goods too. Lealiifano did his pixie thing. Coleman is fanastic at 15. Matt To'omua worries me a lot. I haven't seen much progression in his game since watching him at the U20 world cup. His kicking isn't up to par and doesn't offer much attack. Big year for him this year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It is silly to compare the two matches with one featuring two highly experienced top of the table teams, and another featuring what is essentially a brand new team, and another fielding plenty of rookies.

A lot of inexperience, and new combinations from two teams, both tipped to finish near the bottom, desperate to get a first round win over the other.

This game pretty much delivered everything I expected off it.

Lots of kicking. Error ridden. Not much continuity. Plenty of nerves.

Both teams essentially playing not to lose.

There were certainly improvements in the second half, particularly from the Brumbies in attack.

Bryce's reffing of the affair didn't help. And his assistants were just as bad.

The moment that made my blood boil was when the Brumbies had the momentum and were on attack in the Force 22m, but then the Force got the ball and knocked on not once... but TWICE in a row...

The first one I could've understood being missed, but the second one couldn't have been more obvious and was somehow missed by both Bryce and the assistant on that side of the field who would've had a clear view of it...

I thought the reffing performance was much better in the first half. It was typical Bryce, but didn't really hinder either team.

The second half had some major howlers, that unfortunately the Brumbies copped the most of...

Anyways, if this type of game had been delivered by the Blues v Crusaders match, or is on display in tonights Reds v Tahs clash then I would be very disappointed.

It wasn't the best game of rugby to watch, but it's only round one...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In regards to the off the ball stuff was more frustration then anything. Standard pushing To'omua in the ball at the end summed the force up. Also Charles has always been a bit of dick since he firast came onto the syd-uni production line.

Charles' continual off the ball stuff was not only dickish, but pretty cowardly as he targeted the smallest players.

I would like to have seen try that stuff with his opposite number, or someone else in the forward pack...

S

spooony

The best way to counter Pocock is to get a ref that is not blind to officiate the game.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Matt To'omua worries me a lot. I haven't seen much progression in his game since watching him at the U20 world cup. His kicking isn't up to par and doesn't offer much attack. Big year for him this year.

Couldn't agree more. I have been waiting for him to develop into the player we can all see he could be for a while now. Last night his kicking was wasteful and his long passing game (while finding space a few times) was slow and had a harbour bridge look about it.

It may be unfair to compare to Quade, who has a wonderful passing game, but if he continues in this fashion better teams will relish the extra time this gives them in defence.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
True Pocock wasn't entering through the gate and got away with it... i didn't see the Force do anything much with ball and the big Fijian was covered easily... but their scrum was better than I had expected... Charles should be sighted for some of his illegal plays on the man... Brumbies stole some line ball which was good wit 2 new locks Carter and Power, they looked a bit slow but still picked up 2 tries... Jesse Mogg the goods he'll go far, Nic White was good and his goal kicking will get better... To'omua played a very carious game he'll improve with confidents... Lealiifano looked good... Speight solid no mistakes... Mowen did a good as did Vaea at 7... Pock really was nullified in the end... Brumbies defense won them the match.... Considering so many pumped the Force because of their Wallabies they really didn't take charge of the match at anytime... in the end both these teams need do better

N

Newter

Good win from the Brumbies. As jake said last year they would have lost that. It's all about wiining and building confidence at these early stages. ever new era needs a start :)
The Brumbies were delebrately kicking the ball away in a "lets hope your crapper then we are and make errors" tactic and it worked. I'd be worried if i was a force man. They had most of the ball and position but couldn't offer much. I hope they can get tehre act together a little more. Always had a soft spot for them. In regards to the off the ball stuff was more frustration then anything. Standard pushing To'omua in the ball at the end summed the force up. Also Charles has always been a bit of dick since he firast came onto the syd-uni production line.

I really like the look of Nic White. He's steady and makes the right decisions. Shame about his goal kicking. Shocking stuff. He'll play for Australia some day. Jesse Mogg looked the goods too. Lealiifano did his pixie thing. Coleman is fanastic at 15. Matt To'omua worries me a lot. I haven't seen much progression in his game since watching him at the U20 world cup. His kicking isn't up to par and doesn't offer much attack. Big year for him this year.

I think the Force are about 90% of the way there; they just suffered from missed kicks at goal and some poor handling. Love the aggression they bring under Richard Graham. Another game and they should improve on the ball handling and start to go from 3 phases in a row to 5 or 6 in a row and score more tries. Salesi Ma'afu had a blinder.

Definitely agree on To'omua. What he really lacks is pace, and without it he's not threatening the defence at all. The whole Brumbies backline looked static on phase ball.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't if it's pace or just fear. He drops too deep and doesn't have go at the line in a way that Lealiifano did at 10 (who i much prefer in that role). Idon't have much faith in bernie to turn this around.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So what changes if many will the Brumbies make for the next match?

I think the forward pack will be the same, as they played reasonably well and seemed to get better as the match went on.

With the backs I can see McCabe coming in for Andrew Smith.

The Brumbies back 3 all played well, but the general play kicking from all of the backs except for White (who ironically was poor with goal kicking) was fairly dire.

However, I would hope that the Brumbies will keep ball in hand more for the next match.

M

Moono75

Dissapointing first up hit out but it was probably to be expected. Lots of kicking and both teams playing like they were trying not to loose the game. Some adjustments required by the Force in the centres where I think they need a bit more size. Scrum looked good. Need to work on combinations but that will come with more game time. I think Jake White's experience as a coach helped get the younger Brumbies players over the line. Still not sold on RG as a coach but will see how the team develops over the next few games.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
So what changes if many will the Brumbies make for the next match?

I wouldn't expect to see Coleman for a couple of weeks, that injury seemed pretty serious on the ground.

I don't expect to see the Brumbies play that dull style of rugby for the next match either. With the Force back 3 reduced to Cummins, Nalaga and Mafi (none known for the kicking abilities), it would of been silly not to target them to gain some cheap field position.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
i wouldn't mind McCabe coming on with about 20min to go and keeping the same backline. Also would like to see hooper or coby at 7 just to switch it up a bit. Brumbies really need go for this. Use the wingers and get the full 5 points.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCabe's solid defence and cool head is needed in there.

And Andrew Smith hasn't really made much of an impact in all his games.

McCabe will surely start in the next match and I'd hate to see him play on the wing/fullback, but thankfully it was our back 3 who were the best last night.

I would assume that backrow will be kept the same after it went well last night.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Silm, It's the Cheetahs and a long season. Don't want to rush McCabe. Plus Smith needs time.

Status
Not open for further replies.