• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies V Force Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Both these teams will get chewed up and spit out by the top of the table teams unless they can get a bit more structure and intensity into their game.

Not a bad first hit out though. Lot of potentially good players on show but it will be a few games before these teams start to play some decent rugby.

For the ponies I liked the look of mogg, To'omua and lilo. Was hoping to see more of Tomane. For the force, Cummins looked the goods and mafi surprised me at fullback. Stannard should prove servicable at 10 provided he can build some combinations with the blokes around him.

Charles off the ball stuff has been taken out of context a bit. Not that much wrong with it. One thing I saw that did worry me was one of the force guys had one of the brumbies in head lock in one of the rucks. Not good to see and something that needs to be stamped out of the game.

Bryce was pretty consistent although he made a few shockers in regards to knock on type stuff.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Happy to see the Brumbies get up - showed quite a bit of maturity for an inexperienced team.

Both forward packs went well.

For the Force, Mafi put a a few really good low trajectory touch finders. Last year the Force pushed the Reds all the way. Hope they can do it again next week.

Robbie Coleman is sharp but he can improve heaps if he passes to players in space. In the 1st half he twice held the ball when he should have passsed - each time a penalty against him resulted. In the 2nd half he again ran too far after getting outside defenders effectively undoing the good work of getting around the defence.

Matt To'omua went well, two long passes to players in space - more of that please...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
This game bored the crap out of me. Sorry guys can't imagine I'll watch another 80 minutes of either side this season if they continue to play like that.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Strange game. Very strange game.

Before the game you'd have said the Brumbies had a huge advantage at the scrummage based on their front row, but that the force had a small advantage at the line out and should have absolutely anialated the brumbies at the breakdown. In fact, I thought both teams seemed pretty close to parity on all three, and I'd almost throw out there that the Brumbies even might have won the breakdown against Pocock, Ed and co.

As far as the game, it had to be the most boring first 30 minutes I've ever seen. I'm not criticising Bryce, they were all merited, but there were 13 penalties in the first 30 minutes. If you take out the the dead time for shots at goal etc, basically there was rarely more than a minute or so of continuous play each time before play was stopped for a penalty.

But I will have one shot at Bryce and the touchies, WTF was that incident when the Force juggled and dropped the ball twice in front of them, then fell on the wrong side when tackled, and somehow got the penalty? That was bizarrely inexplicable.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Cummings was great once he got some ball. Nalaga didn't see enough. Mafi was very surprising and did a great job.

Pek cowen was immense.

For brumbies I thought Coleman was great.

Either team could of one that one and it probably should of been a draw. Unfortunately the refereeing just leaves either sides fans pissed off.

The force scrum looks great but needs some defiantly on top of the brumbies. There were some early engagements from the brumbies and they were worse on there own ball.

Oh well not much to read into. I think when Sheps comes back and mafi is on the wing with cummings in the centers and probably Stanley on the bench the backline will look better.

Both sides game plan was boring

Bryce needs to go. Yes he is consistent but he can't ref a scrum and he missed a lot of knock ons. Probably 5 he missed from both sides. I think he is a good bloke and all but maybe he needs contact lenses or something.

It was quite even and that predictable for a the first round.

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
But I will have one shot at Bryce and the touchies, WTF was that incident when the Force juggled and dropped the ball twice in front of them, then fell on the wrong side when tackled, and somehow got the penalty? That was mind-numbingly inexplicable.

They knocked the ball on at the end no doubt. But I didn't think it was twice. How do u fall on the wrong side when tackled. The tackler has to get out of the way which means he should be on the right side once said tackler has rolled away.

The breakdown was a mess and reffed terribly. Both sides were flying In off there feet most the game.

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
This game bored the crap out of me. Sorry guys can't imagine I'll watch another 80 minutes of either side this season if they continue to play like that.

Apart from the initial satisfaction one gets from satisfying a craving, watching this match was akin to taking one first drunken piss after a night out on the tear only to realize that aim was way off and now shoes and pants have taken a bit of a beating.

I was kicked into submission by half-time. As much as I enjoy a good tactical struggle, I like my games to be also driven by some ambition and simply focused on NOT giving the other team something to play off.

S

spooony

Nerves, cobwebs and the quest for a good start was one of the reasons both teams tried to TIC TAC TOE around one another. Winning your first game is always important and I think the teams will look more relaxed or have more urgency so to speak for the next round me thinks.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Funny how first game nerves didn't impair the ambition of the Blues or Crusaders though.

Execution will be crude at times so early in the season, but thats no excuse for the number of tactical kicks. For me, it was ridiculous and a great yawn.

N

Newter

The Force threw this one away but player by player they look physically outstanding. Graham has them in excellent condition. The Brumbies were making very few dents up front, and only the Force had the muscle to generate momentum at will from close quarters.
I really liked the short passing game from Brett Sheehan - he kept picking the right option and getting half-breaks around the ruck. Shame about his long passing game though, which is too slow and just poorly timed.
David Pocock has a lot of work to do to become the linkman Graham obviously wants him to be. He was first receiver off one phase and threw a horrible late pass at Sharpe's shoulder.
This game will knock the cobwebs off both sides, and I expect them both to improve rapidly and be pushing for the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.