• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, Sat 1st April, GIO

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's a decent trip home compared to mine, John. King's Highway or Illawarra Highway and down Macquarie Pass?
I went up via Nerriga and Tarago then through Queanbeyan but back via highway and off at Exeter and Kangaroo Valley - had to pick up wife and kids at Latham first or would have been home earlier

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well done, that's commitment! My trips were all highway: back via Hume, then M7, M4, Great Western and straight into my garage.

What sort of a drive is the Nerriga road? Looked at it on a map over the years and pencilled it in for a future excursion. Does one need a 4WD?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
As a Tahs fan that really hurts but as an Australian rugby fan that was actually a pretty decent advertisement for the code on FTA with lots of quality tries
From a neutral outlook: It was an NRL game for tha amount of tries but without NRL rules. So that's say all

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Just watched the game and though the Tahs showed some grit to hang in despite the yellow cards. Some other observations:
- We obviously have an issue with the ten position and I’m yet to see what justified the hype around Donaldson. Yes he’s calm and can kick but he doesn’t seem like a natural ball player or distributor. I don’t think he’s an improvement over Edmed.
- Seu has been an astute signing; he’s one Of our few effective ball runners and can get his arms free in a tackle. Also decent in the line out.
- The hysteria around Jake Gordon’s demise has been overstated. He was one of the best on ground for the Tahs and was on par with the Brumby 9s.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Added to this the boos and whistles from the crowd when Tahs were attempting conversions and p goals is peak Canberra.

Spare us the pearl clutching, I've been to the SFS and Tahs fans are exactly the same. Added to that, the SFS is the only place where I have been verbally abused for wearing the opposing team's jersey. That said, I loathe booing the visiting team's goal kicker and I think it shows a total lack of class.

I made the observation that at the Moana Pasifika game the Brumbies supporters, with the exception of one or two morons, were silent when Christian Leali'ifano was kicking for goal. I suppose that reflects the respect and affection that the Canberra crowd has for him.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Can’t remember the exact figure but it was around 10,500.

Rugby is cooked here.
The Ghost of Raelene said:
Anyone get a crowd number? Looked okish.

Raiders had 15,000 last night
So same number just different order?

Surely games like this have to help raise numbers eventually.

If only there was a politician linked to rugby in the ACT who could fight for a decent indoor stadium to build excitement for the future.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Berrys insistence to card the Tahs yet let the Brums do whatever they want highlights everything wrong with Super Rugby. The utter lack of consistency is mind boggling. Perese’s high tackle was nothing like Frosts who connected with Jorgensens head with his shoulder but Berry didn’t even bother to look at it.
i was at the game and as soon as that incident popped up on the replay the screen suddenly had some ad to meet the Brumbies Chairman. Added to this the boos and whistles from the crowd when Tahs were attempting conversions and p goals is peak Canberra.
Really would have been nice to leave the stadium with a win but maybe another year asking what went wrong is what the sky blue need
Didn't the Tahs boo their own team for taking penalties in the past?

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
If only there was a politician linked to rugby in the ACT who could fight for a decent indoor stadium to build excitement for the future.

Ha, he's too busy virtue signalling.

I think that the ACT Government should buy the plans for the Canterbury Arena being built in Christchurch and built one in Civic. The added bonus will be it will be earthquake-proof.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

David Pocock lobbying for an indoor stadium using public funds would be hypocritical to his leftist agenda when schools, health etc should be a bigger priority.

there’s nothing wrong with the current stadium the Brumbies are in.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Enjoyable game and I think a pretty decent advert for the game to those on the fringe, just like last Saturday night and deserving of a better crowd.

I thought the refereeing evened itself out, I think both teams had cause to be upset at some decisions which inevitably means both teams also got away with something.

The two big ones for me were the forward pass call off the set move that seems to happen every week being called and the lineout blocking call that also seems to happen every week, these calls were both correct but need to be called consistently every week and not just when a player crosses the line.

It interests me that a referee can pick up these minor infractions but failed to see how far from straight the lineout throw was leading to Marky Marks try, it was somewhat contested by the Brumbies so should have been called.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
David Pocock lobbying for an indoor stadium using public funds would be hypocritical to his leftist agenda when schools, health etc should be a bigger priority.

there’s nothing wrong with the current stadium the Brumbies are in.
There is nothing too good about it either, the Raiders, Brumbies and ACT Football deserve better if equality of infrastructure is important. I think an equivalent of Forsyth Barr would be ideal.

As this is not a political forum I will not comment on his politics.

Does anyone know if he is the "number 1 member" that usually goes to a public figure?

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
Good to see such improvement from the Waratahs, with their first phase attack in particular much improved and creating space for strike weapons (Mark N (Nawaqanitawase), Jorgensen). Brums will be filthy with some poor defence and soft mental moments, many of which came soon after they'd scored points.

Some of the chat around Jorgensen does need to cool off a bit though, some of his fundamentals (kicking, high ball receipt) are still a fair way off. Toole, with rough edges of his own, looks a lot more polished and at least as threatening at this stage...

Above comment suggesting reffing evened itself out was bang on. Re the Perese tackle, it was every bit as calculated and cynical as Frost's was careless - if he went any lower he risked Wright offloading or sliding over. Applying the same sanction to both was entirely appropriate.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes…loves him. No obsession of personal slander when he did some things wrong, in a team that didn’t win a game for over 12 months! Derpus has no credibility.
Well, on his coverage of the game last night, I found he had more credibility than those who just went on an anti-Berry crusade.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well you may laugh, but after attending the match I can only agree with that statement. (From a former referee.)

Just back home in the Blue Mountains, does anyone have a penalty count?

From ESPN:
Penalties: Brumbies 6: Waratahs 16
Yellow Cards: Brumbies 0: Waratahs 3
Free Kicks conceded: Brumbies 1: Waratahs 0

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Tahs were always going to put in a spirited performance, but I was just disappointed in the way the Brumbies handled having a two man advantage in the first half... that's when a good team is going to take advantage and they just seemed complacent in those moments.
Think that's a bit harsh on both teams Slim. The Tahs were absolutely sensational in holding the ball during most of that period. And given Berry was loathe to award possession to either side when defending the Tahs were able, and did, to exert the sort of pressure near the tryline that eventually saw Holloway cross for the try. A team can't score if they don't have the ball.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought the refereeing evened itself out. <snip>

Above comment suggesting reffing evened itself out was bang on. <snip.

Take another look at the penalty count and see what you think.

I am completely neutral having no great love for either Brumbies or Waratahs other than a useful contribution to the Wallabies - but that game was skewed to the hilt by a one-sided reffing performance. imo.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Think that's a bit harsh on both teams Slim. The Tahs were absolutely sensational in holding the ball during most of that period. And given Berry was loathe to award possession to either side when defending the Tahs were able, and did, to exert the sort of pressure near the tryline that eventually saw Holloway cross for the try. A team can't score if they don't have the ball.

Except the Brumbies did have the ball, with several penalties awarded towards then in the red zone playing against 13 men… and they failed to capitalise in that moment.