• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Cheetahs Prelim 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Delighted the Brumbies won this hopefully they can back it up in Pretoria. On a side note, how awesome is Willie Le Roux? Every time he popped up at first or second receiver the Cheetahs threat level just seemed to soar.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Im starting to get sick of people saying that the Brumbies are boring because we didnt score any tries. We won, we smashed there scrum, yeah we didnt get over the line but the Cheetahs were good there.

The Brumbies have scored some fantastic tries this year, and you dont have to run it from your own tryline to do it. I think it was a top effort after coming back from 6 weeks off getting done by the force and then knocking off the Cheetahs..

Brumbies vs Saders final in Canberra Rattlebones to score a double and George Smith to score the winner on the buzzer beating McCaw to the corner ;)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Delighted the Brumbies won this hopefully they can back it up in Pretoria. On a side note, how awesome is Willie Le Roux? Every time he popped up at first or second receiver the Cheetahs threat level just seemed to soar.

What about Pretorius man I thought he was going to break the game open.. Nic White didn't do to bad at breaking the line as well

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Im starting to get sick of people saying that the Brumbies are boring because we didnt score any tries. We won, we smashed there scrum, yeah we didnt get over the line but the Cheetahs were good there.

The Brumbies have scored some fantastic tries this year, and you dont have to run it from your own tryline to do it. I think it was a top effort after coming back from 6 weeks off getting done by the force and then knocking off the Cheetahs..

Brumbies vs Saders final in Canberra Rattlebones to score a double and George Smith to score the winner on the buzzer beating McCaw to the corner ;)

We can dream can't we. I do think the Saders will beat the Chiefs, and we're a chance to beat the Bulls after their week off. And I believe Speis might be out? So, there is a chance of a showdown at Bruce, but I can't see your fantasy going any further than that, unfortunately.

Brumbies yesterday played with more intent than against the Force, which was very good to see, but execution let them down on a couple of occasions. And wtf was Jackson doing calling advantage over when Henry was in a one on one contest for the kick through near the try line. Was at least a 40% chance of regaining and scoring imo. Didn't see any indication that he was off side at the kick.

Cheetahs were good as they have been most of the year. Think the backline was very early coming off the line on a number of occasions. Maybe offside a little, but very effectively shutting down the Brumbies' attack. And, I suspect if their first try had been reviewed, it might have been disallowed for a marginal forward pass from Le Roux. How good is Le Roux - popped up everywhere.

Believe George Smith was official MOM, but for me, Scott Fardy was best on ground. Could do worse than to have him on the bench for the Wallabies. Nic White a massive improvement on Prior, and Henry Speight again outstanding. Brumbies' scrum should again be strong against the Bulls next week. I really like Scott Sio at LHP and Ruan Smith is fantastic as the bench THP.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the Ponies beat the Bulls, and the Saders beat the Chiefs next week, who gets the Home Ground for the Final?

Will it be the Ponies, who finished the Home/Away as #3 qualifier ahead of the Saders, or The Saders on the basis that they won the higher ranked ("1 vs 4" as opposed "2 v 3") Semi Final?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If the Ponies beat the Bulls, and the Saders beat the Chiefs next week, who gets the Home Ground for the Final?

Will is be the Ponies, who finished the Home/Away as #3 qualifier ahead of the Saders, or The Saders on the basis that they won the higher ranked ("1 vs 4" as opposed "2 v 3") Semi Final?

Brumbies get it :) Finishing Higher on the table. But I do think they should look at the if Brumbies finish 3rd (win the conference) but finish with less points then say 5th Im sure 3rd get it. But should they get it.. I'd feel hard done by.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Believe George Smith was official MOM, but for me, Scott Fardy was best on ground.

I think Im his biggest Fan, I really believe Scott Fardy would look good in Gold in the second row/6 cover or just in the second row.

Even when he lost a lineout he chased the half back smashed him got to his feet and stole the ball back.. I suspect even george would have been impressed.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Still got to beat the Bulls who will be stinging from their loss the previous week. Steyn will bring his kicking boots, and he's better there than Smit.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Still got to beat the Bulls who will be stinging from their loss the previous week. Steyn will bring his kicking boots, and he's better there than Smit.

Oh don't get me wrong, The Bulls should be favorites, but Im guessing it will be close.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That Brumbies scrum is going to hand the Bulls their own arse.

The Bulls scrum has been deteriorating for two years to a level which is laughable. Werner Kruger has always been a prop that holds on at TH as LONG as his LH prop is not dominated.

Well unfortunately Dean Greyling at LH for the Bulls is the weakest scrummaging LH in the entire competition (and a fucking penalty generating fool to boot).

The Bulls have got away with it this year until the last few rounds where teams really targeted the scrums. Their props make up for it in the loose (both hit the rucks really hard and are reasonably mobile).

The other area to attack is the lineout. Not sure people here realise that Juandre Kruger has left for France because of a contract bungle. Someone forgot to check playoff dates and agreed to release him. The frogs refused to change the date. Muppets.

Spies is also injured and he called the lineouts when J. Kruger was off the park. Between them they probably took about 80% of our own ball in the last couple of years.

We have a good youngster at 5 but he is still learning. Both Potgieter's are good in the air but they hardly dominate the lineout.

The Bulls rely on winning the collision. The Stormer's bitch slapped the Bulls pack 2 weeks ago. I think they will be up for it at home this weekend and come very hard, lead by Flip vd Merwe.

Target the scrums, kick the goals and counter Steyn's kicking for field position (which in my view is better than it has ever been) and it's a doddle. :)

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Seems that Craig Joubert will be the ref for the semi. Bit surprised they didn't go with a neutral ref.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Seems that Craig Joubert will be the ref for the semi. Bit surprised they didn't go with a neutral ref.

Would be a bit ridiculous to fly Chris Pollock or Jonathan White over to SA to ref the semi, I doubt Jake White would prefer that option either.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I would actually welcome the news if Jonathan White was given a semi final. I think he's a good ref for big games.

But objectively looking at this scenario. You have 1 final in SA and 1 final in NZ. Presumably the top 4 refs at this stage are Joubert, Walsh, Peyper and Jackson.

Jackson and Peyper would be out of contention for the SA game because they wouldn't recover in time if they spent an entire day flying there.

So you are left with Walsh and Joubert. Walsh is the sensible appointment for the Cheifs game because he lives in Syndey and is probably ranked #1 anyway. And then you are left with Joubert. And if you aren't going to pick him because he isn't perceived to be "neutral", then the next options are refs ranked #5 and #6. Alternatively, you could fly them halfway across the SH to ref the two games, but then there is a risk of them not being at their best to referee due to jet lag among other things.

*and checking the SANZAR website now, it appears that Walsh and Joubert do have the semi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.