• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Cheetahs Prelim 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Just got home from the game. The Brumbies won because they went for the points when they had the opportunity, the Cheetahs went for the try when they should have accumulated points and they paid the price. The moron supporters calling for the try should have realised that when the Brumbies ran the ball the Cheetahs defence was up on them quickly and the five penalties was the difference between being on QF63 to Joburg tomorrow morning or having mad Monday in Manuka.

It was cold but the skiing thermals came in handy. Having a bit of sunshine also helped keep the chill at bay.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cheetahs goal kicking lost them the game.

I still pick the Brums to beat the Bulls but can't see them get over the Chiefs or especially Crusaders although the latter would be a final in Coldberra so that would help.

Hoping otherwise, but I think it will be a Bulls vs Crusaders final, with the Crusaders taking home the choccies.

Hope they can, but I don't think they will get past the bulls at loftus next weekend. Go Brumbies.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Atmosphere was great this arvo. Probably the most involved I've seen the crowd in a long time. I'll take a win however we get it.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Is 14k a good crowd in cambers? What's the capacity?

Well done brumbies!!! Speight was almost as good as cummins! ;)

Great to see an Aussie team make it through. One thing though. What's the go with the booing? The first couple of kicks by the cheetahs the bloke got bombarded.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Normal capacity is around 25,000. Ground record is 28,500 for the 2004 final when extra temporary seating was put up.

As Merrow said, the crowd made more noise than some larger crowds we've had at the stadium. Don't agree with the booing of the opposition kicker, I think total silence would be more disconcerting to them as well as being respectful.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
The crowds have been averaging 12-14k for the Brumbies and around 8k for the Raiders. The biggest crowd this year was 20k for the Centenary long weekend match against the Tahs.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
It doesn't matter where you go these days, there's always some idiots that boo. Funny thing was, most of it seemed to come from the more expensive seats. Us low lifes at the southern end were a tetchy bit more well behaved (for a change).

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The review and photos

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/brumbies-out-of-jail-over-the-cheetahs/

375_DSC_8193_2013_07_21_4000.jpg

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
I know it's cold but really you would think they should have attracted more numbers to the ground given how long its been between drinks for the Brumbies in the finals. Nevertheless the atmosphere was good, and I can't get enough of that big band.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
The band is part of the group of UC students (I think they're called the rUCkus crew) that have the "I have a Rathboner" banner. They have done a great job in adding to the colour and atmosphere of the Brumbies home games this year.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Canberra invented the term 'fair weather fan' it seems.

People will find a reason to complain/whinge about anything and this is no exception - as is booing opposition players. It's not just a rugby thing in Australia but happens in every sport.

Whilst the Brumbies didn't play well, they got the win and that's all that matters in the knockout/finals football. They did manage to bomb 2 tries and it was clear that tactic would not be used and would try and use their strengths to get the win even if they didn't score a try and conceded 2.

The clash with the Bulls last year in Pretoria where they scored 5 tries to 2 and still lost comes to mind so it's good that the result went their way under those circumstances.

Criticism of White's game plan is harsh and he was employed to take the team to the finals, which he has done, so I can't see what the problem is.

The playing group he assembled 2 years ago has come a long way which people need to remember considering they were mostly young kids or players who couldn't get game time elsewhere.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It doesn't matter where you go these days, there's always some idiots that boo. Funny thing was, most of it seemed to come from the more expensive seats. Us low lifes at the southern end were a tetchy bit more well behaved (for a change).

So people can't yell out ' chewie on ya boot' and to be honest it was funny when the Tah's where at the ground a few seasons back and a fella offered Rocky a front row seat to the game... Because he was good at sitting around doing nothing..

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
I know it's cold but really you would think they should have attracted more numbers to the ground given how long its been between drinks for the Brumbies in the finals. Nevertheless the atmosphere was good, and I can't get enough of that big band.
Unfortunately the forecasts during the week were for sleet and possible snow for Sunday afternoon. Would have scared lots away. There must have been a lot of no shows who bought tickets as there were plenty buying at the gate and per sales were about 14000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
So people can't yell out ' chewie on ya boot' and to be honest it was funny when the Tah's where at the ground a few seasons back and a fella offered Rocky a front row seat to the game. Because he was good at sitting around doing nothing..
I don't have a problem with people giving the kicker shit, they can yell out whatever they want. Surely people can be more creative than just booing :)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well done Brumbies. Go to Pretoria and kick arse.

Well done Cheetahs. A fantastic season from them also and they have offered some of the best attacking rugby this year and a joy to watch. They are a very skillful and creative side and look forward to seeing them in 2014.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well done Brumbies. Go to Pretoria and kick arse.

Well done Cheetahs. A fantastic season from them also and they have offered some of the best attacking rugby this year and a joy to watch. They are a very skillful and creative side and look forward to seeing them in 2014.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The game was a ding dong forward battle. The cheetahs defence never really let the brumbies settle. However, the brumbies were good enough to take their chances. I quite enjoyed the arm wrestle.

The brumbies really used their scrum as a weapon today. To me, that was the difference between winning and losing. Good luck to them in Pretoria next week.

I also have to say that Glenn Jackson had a really good game with the whistle too. We are generally pretty quick to jump down a refs throat when he has had a poor game, but will rarely congratulate them on a good performance.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
The cold was brutal for those of us without thermals :cool:!
Booing the opposition is poor practice, uncalled for.
Cheetahs looked very good in defence and slick with the ball in hand.
But then, most opposition teams look sharp versus the Brumbies, only for the Brums to end up with the win. Ugly win?
Reality is, an ugly champion ranks higher than a beautiful looser.
Watch for the Saders - they're playing finals' rugby at the right time - don't look good for the Wallabies either.

Status
Not open for further replies.