• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Crusaders - R12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
The first try came from a one of the Crusaders best peices of trained cheating you will see. The scrum is barely holding and Whitelock? breaks from the scrum, holding the jersey of Crocket with one hand doesn't count as being bound

Every scrum has the flankers not bound correctly, it's the new "feeding the ball straight into the scrum", as in a law that's not really practised anymore for some reason (same as binding at mauls and truck & trailers)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Enjoyed the game, personally though Mogg probably made it bloody hard for him to get into Wallabies, first real intense pressure he has been under this year, and he struggled a bit. Mostly though I thought the Saders tighties won the game for them, just look how Todd was able to operate with tight 5 on top, and I thought George Smith was less effective with his fatties struggling a bit.

when does a 7 look good behind a tight five going backwards?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Brumbies were out "athleticisied" (new word) by a more mobile, more accurate pack on the day. It didn't help that they chose to kick shit out of the ball (as per plan A) despite the fact that the 'saders were not providing the ball back, and when they did they didn't offer any space.

Off day maybe, flat definitely

But definitely outplayed and definitely out enthused

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Brumbies did themselves no favours by running into contact and being held up on numerous occasions. Their attacking plan needed to change but didn't and became a bit one dimensional and the Crusaders were ready for it every time.

Those players aiming for Wallabies selection didn't help their chances in front of Robbie Deans. Only Tomane really comes to mind. Jesse Mogg had an off game but wasn't the only one.

The Crusaders thought their line out wasn't up to scratch but their scrum was fairly solid. The influence of Dan Carter was plain to see and was the difference IMO.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Struck me as a game where the Brumbies really missed Fardy. Was disappointed with the forwards that were completely out muscled, with Smith, Sio and Mowen the only real standouts. For those that watched the rugby club on Thrusday night, Justin Marshall was right...the Crusaders were going to take the Brumbies on right through the middle and that's what they did.

Hoping the boys can regather and Laurie sorts whatever was going on out there today. Smart football it certainly was not.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Every few weeks the Crusaders realise how laterally they are attacking, and they shape up and have a mean game, running direct and generating quick ball to then go wide with. The game against the Stormers at Newlands was a great example, as was the home game against the Bulls. Today was another example. Hopefully now they can keep reproducing such performances on a regular (weekly please!) basis.

Crusaders v Blues in two weeks time could be a classic.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Who was the Irish priest coaching a schoolboys side who opined, "quick ruck ball is next to Godliness"? Too many times the Brumbies ball was retained at the ruck only for it to sit there until White arrived to shovel it out. This happened, what, 14 or 15 times during the match. Those valuable seconds lost allowed the Saders defence to organise themselves into a coherent line. Why another Brumby didn't pass the pill immediately on being available I don't know.

Don't the Saders work hard off the ball to retain their shape? It's a magnificent legacy Deans has left them here.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
when does a 7 look good behind a tight five going backwards?
Exactly what I saying Fatprop, wasn't critising Smith, just mentioned one of the reasons I thought Todd was on top of Smith in game was because his fatties did better.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the Ponies got done, and my footytips were sub-optimal.

Looking at the round objectively, you would have to say that it was an absolute corker of a weekends footy.

Some great footy in tight toughly contested games (Tahs/kings and Canes/bulls excl). More tries than you could dream of. Great performances all round.

Ponies, Reds, Canes and Kings supporters will be a little disappointed with the performance of their teams but WTF it was a great weekend, and good advertisment for Rugby (if you have Foxtel)!

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Great match by the Crusaders, never looked like losing.
Lucky for the Brumbies to get a point out of it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If Mowen is going to insist on taking penalty attempts from 50+ they can expect to keep losing or missing bonus points through lack of ambition.

Besides that, they need to start taking it up through the forwards in close and hard. Auelua and the props aren't seeing enough ball on the pick and go or short passes. One-on-one line breaks doth not a gameplan make.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've also been reading in various streams that Palmer got beaten by Crockett. I just watched the game. Besides getting outsmarted at the first scrum, can someone point out where?

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Who was the Irish priest coaching a schoolboys side who opined, "quick ruck ball is next to Godliness"? Too many times the Brumbies ball was retained at the ruck only for it to sit there until White arrived to shovel it out. This happened, what, 14 or 15 times during the match. Those valuable seconds lost allowed the Saders defence to organise themselves into a coherent line. Why another Brumby didn't pass the pill immediately on being available I don't know.

Don't the Saders work hard off the ball to retain their shape? It's a magnificent legacy Deans has left them here.

you will have to help me out I cannot recollect White being slow to the ruck certainly not 14 -15 times as matter of fact his speed to the breakdown this season has been above any of the Australian halves including Genia

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
I've also been reading in various streams that Palmer got beaten by Crockett. I just watched the game. Besides getting outsmarted at the first scrum, can someone point out where?

having watched the weekly round up on Fox Crusaders first try shows Crockett being stood up by Palmer and Joubert clearly watching signaling play on when the ball spat out the side. Given his prior and post referreeing of the Brumbies scrum in this game a puzzling call.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not to mention that period where it was 10-10 and the Brumbies, inside the 22 and hot on attack, had to put up with red shirts lying on their ball. A short while later Alexander riches the side if a mail before realising his mistake and retreating, but gets penalised.

Jioubert made some strange ones.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
He also missed a very obvious knock on right in front of where we were sitting, and then within a couple of phases awarded a penalty to the Crusaders in the early stages of the 2nd half. I'm not saying that we were ever going to win the game but I'm not sure the Brumbies deserved to be penalized quite as much as they were, and pretty sure the Crusaders should have copped a couple more.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
He also missed a very obvious knock on right in front of where we were sitting, and then within a couple of phases awarded a penalty to the Crusaders in the early stages of the 2nd half. I'm not saying that we were ever going to win the game but I'm not sure the Brumbies deserved to be penalized quite as much as they were, and pretty sure the Crusaders should have copped a couple more.

Had the same feeling, and the crowd as well, lots of frustrated fans around.

Status
Not open for further replies.