• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Reds - Saturday 22 February 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Brumbies attack looked directionless, only time we look threatening was giving it to our wingers and Mogg at times and expecting them to do the work.

hazzaj

Alfred Walker (16)
Gotta think that Larkham showed managerial inexperience by subbing off both props and the hooker. That move seriously baffled me and they got punished for it.

Poor Mogg :(, but geeze play to the whistle. School boy error.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, White and Mogg were both rather average tonight.

Reds gave away a lot of penalties though, way too many. Brumbies missed plenty of kicks at goal.

Not sure what Graham's stamp is yet. The Reds didn't show much composure in the second half, the Brumbies easily kept them pinned in their half with good kicking. Need to wait longer to see if Graham has them going well or not.

The Brumbies dominated that second half, but their attack couldn't get through the Reds defence although they did get held up over the line a few times. With that much ball and field position in the second half the Ponies will wonder how they didn't win.

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
The reds basic structures looked good, solid line out, good scrum, defence kept its line and reacted well to shut down any half chances. A good base to build on for the rest of the season. Have to look at the penalty count though and question what they need to do to try and keep the count down. Qaude needs to practice kicking the ball out from 20 metres infield.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, White and Mogg were both rather average tonight.

Reds gave away a lot of penalties though, way too many. Brumbies missed plenty of kicks at goal.

Not sure what Graham's stamp is yet. The Reds didn't show much composure in the second half, the Brumbies easily kept them pinned in their half with good kicking. Need to wait longer to see if Graham has them going well or not.

The Brumbies dominated that second half, but their attack couldn't get through the Reds defence although they did get held up over the line a few times. With that much ball and field position in the second half the Ponies will wonder how they didn't win.
I think a more composed team would have put the Reds away, with the field position and possession the Brumbies had. And I mean no slight on the Reds effort, but they couldn't get out of their half, they had poor discipline for a while, but the Brumbies were a bit clueless with it all.
Brumbies attack needs some work, Reds discipline too, but cannot fault their application and intent.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Was pretty happy with our scrum tonight. Happy to see Daley scrum well, even when we were down to 7 men - although he did get away with one near the end there when he turned in.

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
Probably can't argue with that on 100 percent record with reds. Just interested if you think its business as usual or if you think there is a change in style of play etc.
I think he must have prepared the team well during the week. To get a win at Canberra against the brumbies is an achievement and he deserves credit for that. So far, one game , one tick. A promising start, no doubt. Hope he can keep it up.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Quade has much improved at speaking, but I think he's gone to the Will Genia school of cliches.

T

TOCC

I think a more composed team would have put the Reds away, with the field position and possession the Brumbies had. And I mean no slight on the Reds effort, but they couldn't get out of their half, they had poor discipline for a while, but the Brumbies were a bit clueless with it all.

Well alternatively I'd suggest that few teams could keep the Reds pegged in their own half like the Brumbies did.. Solid set piece, good long kicking and swarming defence, not many teams have a package like the Brumbies do.

T

TOCC

Quade has much improved at speaking, but I think he's gone to the Will Genia school of cliches.

Yeah I thought the same thing, actually injected a bit of personality into the conversation for once

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I think Graham's stamp (so far from this single game) is getting them over the tryline again. The reds scored 3 tries tonight, two of which were brilliantly engineered by the entire team so I think that execution has improved. Especially compared to last year where we struggled almost every match.

Go the reds!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well alternatively I'd suggest that few teams could keep the Reds pegged in their own half like the Brumbies did.. Solid set piece, good long kicking and swarming defence, not many teams have a package like the Brumbies do.
I think there are a few teams that could - Chiefs, Crusaders, Sharks, Stormers to name a few. Brumbies set piece in the latter 20 minutes was a bit shaky, to be honest, especially the scrum. In any event, it was more a comment on their lack of taking opportunities.

T

TOCC

I think there are a few teams that could - Chiefs, Crusaders, Sharks, Stormers to name a few. Brumbies set piece in the latter 20 minutes was a bit shaky, to be honest, especially the scrum. In any event, it was more a comment on their lack of taking opportunities.

Sure, Brumbies lost a game they could have won, Reds won a game they should have lost

Status
Not open for further replies.