• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Reds - Saturday 22 February 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whilst I think everyone acknowledges that Slipper and Holmes have played 1 and 3 for the Reds previously, they were selected the opposite way around in every game I can find for 2013.

Yarp.......

Slipper has pretty much exclusively played at TH for the Reds the past few years while Daley and Holmes rotated at LH.........

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Whilst I think everyone acknowledges that Slipper and Holmes have played 1 and 3 for the Reds previously, they were selected the opposite way around in every game I can find for 2013.

Slipper might have played a handful of games at LHP for the Reds but he has played probably 90% of his about 50 games at THP.

I am so looking forward to Aiden T at the back - think he will possibly detroy the Brums - that to me will be the highlight (and watching young Jarod Butler)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Good to see Hofmann & Cronje on the bench. Why isnt Ruaan Smith not playing. Injured? I'll support the Ponies in this one.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think maybe both teams will go out with the idea of a fast running game.
Will depend on the Ref and how rusty the teams are as to whether it will stay that way.

T

TOCC

Maybe Nick Stiles knows something everyone else doesn't, first time the Reds have had a dedicated scrum coach for a few years.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Agreed TOCC. I think the Chiefs V Saders game may have set the tone for the year (though I devoutly hope not) and defence is again king.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The 2013 Reds v Brumbies first fixture at Canberra Stadium was a very ordinary game, the next fixture between the two at Suncorp wasn't too bad. I hope to see some decent running rugby, where the referee just stays out of it! Watching the Chief v Saders game, Chris Pollock had too much involvement in the first half, when he put the whistle away the second half was fluent.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The 2013 Reds v Brumbies first fixture at Canberra Stadium was a very ordinary game, the next fixture between the two at Suncorp wasn't too bad. I hope to see some decent running rugby, where the referee just stays out of it! Watching the Chief v Saders game, Chris Pollock had too much involvement in the first half, when he put the whistle away the second half was fluent.

The refs always like to prove they were listening at the refs conference in the early rounds with petty stuff picked up. I did hear what the 'what to look out for list' was but can't remember it all but don't be surprised to hear the pea blown out of the whistle.

A shame the big games are the first ones of the year

T

TOCC

2nd half at Suncorp was the most entertaining half of rugby these two teams have played against each other in years...

But in saying at that, new coaches in both teams could mean anything.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
White, Mogg and To'omua (with that centre pairing) will continue to kick for position.

Reds will run it.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
I still find it amazing the stats that the Reds kicked the ball more than any other team that year when they won in 2011 and Cooper and Genia are consistently in the list of most kicks in Super rugby games is not recognised.
I hope perception can be based on facts and if the Brumbies choose to kick intelligently as they have in past seasons I will be more than happy that it creates the opportunity to keep the ball in hand when required. They did score the most tries for an Australian side last year

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
If we are the 6th South African team, are you guys the 6th New Zealand team?

No, we are a land of milk and honey for those poor refugees from the pacific islands.
We educate them, clothe them, raise them, support them.

We then claim them.

Win Win for all concerned.

T

TOCC

I still find it amazing the stats that the Reds kicked the ball more than any other team that year when they won in 2011 and Cooper and Genia are consistently in the list of most kicks in Super rugby games is not recognised.
I hope perception can be based on facts and if the Brumbies choose to kick intelligently as they have in past seasons I will be more than happy that it creates the opportunity to keep the ball in hand when required. They did score the most tries for an Australian side last year

I think purely looking at the overall kicking stats is a misleading indicator when talking about entertainment or the style of the team, there are many different kind of kicks, you can have defensive kicking whereby anytime a team receives the ball inside there own half they will boot it back down field and rely on their defensive pressure to win turnovers and score points, you can have attacking kicking where teams may use short kicks over the defensive line as a mean to force the defending wingers to drop back and open up space out wide to run the ball, you have up and under's which can be either a defensive or offensive tactic depending on field position etc etc...

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
If we are the 6th South African team, are you guys the 6th New Zealand team?

There is a big difference between actively recruiting Saffas & nurturing young talent who's parents have come here to live for lifestyle reasons.

Hoping for an entertaining match & a rare Reds win in Canberra. Happy to be getting this game out of the way before the ACT winter freeze, it gives us a better chance I reckon/ Reds by 8

Status
Not open for further replies.