• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs Super Rugby-R4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is one of the dafter things written about the game. Any low blow deserves to be penalised harshly.

That is just so inane I don't know how to respond. If he was malicious he would have rolled Robinson over first?

I missed that part of the rules that says that dangerous play is okay if no-one is hurt. Should we immediately start releasing anyone currently facing an attempted murder charge?

I agree that it was a brain-fart and out of character for Alexander, but he should have had to at least faced the judiciary.
Hmmmmm.
I was struck by how, once "raked", fat cat was able to "roll away" and actually moved quite quickly to regain his dignity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hmmmmm.
I was struck by how, once "raked", fat cat was able to "roll away" and actually moved quite quickly to regain his dignity.

Exactly. He was limp and couldn't move, yet as soon as Benny shoed him he miraculously leapt out of the way.

BRING BACK RUCKING!

It's not really the point. It was a professional foul and he was going to get yellow carded for it without Alexander taking things into his own hands.

I think the game is better for not being allowed to legally ruck people. It might not lead to serious injuries as long as the head and other more vulnerable parts of the body are avoided but it gives a very bad look in my opinion.

You're not allowed to kick/punch/knee/elbow someone who is breaking the laws of the game either.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's not really the point. It was a professional foul and he was going to get yellow carded for it without Alexander taking things into his own hands.

I think the game is better for not being allowed to legally ruck people. It might not lead to serious injuries as long as the head and other more vulnerable parts of the body are avoided but it gives a very bad look in my opinion.

You're not allowed to kick/punch/knee/elbow someone who is breaking the laws of the game either.
You mean its not your point.
A bit of rucking out would speed up the game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It did reduce the want of clowns to roll onto the wrong side of the ruck, and it felt really good to run over some show pony back and spit him out the back after playing noughts and crosses on the guy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It did reduce the want of clowns to roll onto the wrong side of the ruck, and it felt really good to run over some show pony back and spit him out the back after playing noughts and crosses on the guy.

Absolutely, but I think the game has moved on from that.

So much discussion happens on this forum about how to make the game more popular and gets kids playing. I guarantee that re-introducing rucking at the adult level is not going to convince parents that their kids should be taking up the game.

There is also plenty of talk about things like shoulder charges and how they are only intended to injure and that we are way ahead of league in not having them (they've obviously got rid of them now too).

It would seem ridiculous if we try to take the moral highground on some issues and then lament the fact that you're not allowed to ruck people anymore.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If I go to stiff arm you and you duck and I miss, I will not be seeing the judiciary. Of course the aftermath makes a difference. As you've said yourself - see attempted murder vs murder - btw, attempted murder is an interesting analogy. I'm sure you weren't trying to sensationalise things though :p. We often see pictures of bruised eyes after matches to prove a person has been gouged. If my hand travels near your eye and you claim a gouge and have no damage to your eye..good luck proving I did wrong. A stomp on the head, knee, hand, back or groin is far worse than what Alexander yet you want to condemn him as if he'd done one of those things. Where is the outrage in the media to this ruling? Looks like a Tah fan smoke screen.

My outrage was more at your justification than the offence. I still think BA should have been cited but I understand why he wasn't. Suggesting it was a love tap, or that it wasn't malicious (it was clearly deliberate) or that no harm was done (it was but that isn't the point of the laws either) just annoyed me immensely. I have no trouble with you suggesting that the yellow card was sufficient, I disagree but is a line ball call, but the other arguments you raised were disingenuous.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hmmmmm.

True. Benn was clearly overplaying the "sorry ref, I'm stuck" card but BA still shouldn't have rucked him.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Absolutely, but I think the game has moved on from that.

So much discussion happens on this forum about how to make the game more popular and gets kids playing. I guarantee that re-introducing rucking at the adult level is not going to convince parents that their kids should be taking up the game.

There is also plenty of talk about things like shoulder charges and how they are only intended to injure and that we are way ahead of league in not having them (they've obviously got rid of them now too).

It would seem ridiculous if we try to take the moral highground on some issues and then lament the fact that you're not allowed to ruck people anymore.

I would not mind the return of rucking but I agree that it is not likely to return anytime soon.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It aint coming back.
Its not a good look.
I dont condone it - but what I dont like is the fact that robinson gets indignant about it presumably because its outside the laws of the game these days.
So was what he was doing - and what he was doing is a blight on the game whereas Alexander's booting was an unauthorised means of achieving the faster game we crave.
Wrong on both sides - cite Alexander and red card robinson

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Just imagine the havoc those bloody lawyers'd cause if rucking was legal. Our beloved game would be gone within ten years.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Careful Lindo, there is more than one of "those bloody lawyers" active on these threads.

The saving grace could be that many of "those bloody lawyers" were perpetrators of said on-field justice back in the day.

A sidenote as I am want to do: WAL Legend JPR Williams was a surgeon, which was a good thing after what The Darkness did to him in one game in the Mid 70's in the spirit of a jolly good rucking.

One of our Welsh correspondents may be able to confirm the detail, but IIRC it was pretty savage.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just imagine the havoc those bloody lawyers'd cause if rucking was legal. Our beloved game would be gone within ten years.

As one of the lawyers on the blog, i have to correct that remark.

It is far, far too mild.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
hD904C6DA

P

Paradox

All did you see O'Driscoll's stamp against Italy? That looked bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.