• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs Super Rugby-R4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Will be interesting to see how recruiting is handled this year. Up until now Cheika has only signed Folau. He inherited the rest of the roster and there are a dozen of them off contract this year - so I'm expecting a very different team this time next year.
An earlier post quoting one of the papers said 29 of 35 were off contract at the end of the season.
since then he has signed Phipps.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I must say though the Brumbies fans were awesome, there was a really good atmosphere generated in the stadium although not a huge fan of the Mexican waves! The Rathborner sign was awesome and selling cans of beer instead of water down pints is something every stadium should be doing.

Most of the regulars in the Gregan/Larkham Stand aren't fans of the Mexican wave either, as it always died when it got around to us. We were too busy watching the game. It seems that the Uni of Canberra students in the south bowl were the instigators.

Loved the Rathboner sign too.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Most of the regulars in the Gregan/Larkham Stand aren't fans of the Mexican wave either, as it always died when it got around to us. We were too busy watching the game. It seems that the Uni of Canberra students in the south bowl were the instigators.

Loved the Rathboner sign too.

The students were great fun. Looks like they're trying to emulate "the Zoo" that the Hurricanes (I think) have. If only the Waratahs had some sort of large tertiary education institution nearby that they could target with cheap tickets and t-shirts and stuff.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If I'm right, nobody has been cited so far this season (Except Ardie Savea, but that was pre-season), so will Ben Alexander be cited? If so, chances are he will be suspended and made an example of, yeah?

I will be surprised if Alexander isn't cited.

He might have only stomped on Robinson's leg but it was so blatant and malicious and nowhere near the ball. I think he'll get suspended for it.

It was bizarre. It's so out of character for Alexander and you'd think that even though he's obviously reasonable mates with Robinson (at the very least. I'd be surprised if they're not good friends) and knew it wasn't actually going to do any real damage to Robbo, it was very likely to land him in hot water.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
I will be surprised if Alexander isn't cited.

He might have only stomped on Robinson's leg but it was so blatant and malicious and nowhere near the ball. I think he'll get suspended for it.

It was bizarre. It's so out of character for Alexander and you'd think that even though he's obviously reasonable mates with Robinson (at the very least. I'd be surprised if they're not good friends) and knew it wasn't actually going to do any real damage to Robbo, it was very likely to land him in hot water.
Apparently he hasn't been cited according to a Foxsports article, and is on his way to SA.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
69217_10151277933581736_1544132801_n.jpg
Public proposal in the crowd at half time.

Not sure why a Brumbies girl would agree to marry Waratahs guy, but she did.

He was probably the only happy Tahs fan after the game.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You'd have to assume they considered the yellow card to be punishment enough. Regardless, that should be made public.

Apparently. Will be interesting to see what happens next time someone gets done for stamping.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The stamping incident is just bizarre.

For a guy who never barges in to (legally or illegally) clear out a ruck and chooses instead to repeatedly appeal to the referee with an outstretched hand it certainly is an odd move to do something that would injure another person that was lying prone and defenseless.

What the hell was he thinking?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Third penalty in as many minutes, he had just bombed a try and now they were preventing one, sometimes a guy just snaps.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Just watched the replay again.

The score of 35-6 looks like a beating but for the Waratahs, Dave Dennis will learn a lot from that much in terms of decision making. At least twice in the 2nd half and with plenty of time to go with the score at 21-6 they declined easy shots at penalty. One of the lineouts ended up being knocked on and the other one went nowhere.

If it then becomes 21-12 then it looks closer and they still could have got something out of the game instead of 4 tries to 0 considering Dennis said that the 3 early penalties the Brumbies kicked put them on the back foot after less than 10 minutes.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Agreed, velour-covered pony mascot. It felt like the Tahs were desperately chasing the game even before the last quarter, when they were only 9 points down. No doubt, though, it felt to them like they were being suffocated by the opposition, which doesn't lend itself to sensible decision-making.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Agreed, velour-covered pony mascot. It felt like the Tahs were desperately chasing the game even before the last quarter, when they were only 9 points down. No doubt, though, it felt to them like they were being suffocated by the opposition, which doesn't lend itself to sensible decision-making.

Sorry, they were more than 9 points down at the time, but still, it felt desperate way too early. Much as crowds love teams eschewing the chance to go for the posts, it's remarkable how often it seems to break the rhythm of a team - perhaps the extra pressure of feeling that you must earn back that 3 points that you've gambled.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
It's hard to understand how a team with as much experience as the Tahs have,play with such a lack of composure.
Exactly. That pushover try from the Brumbies was a great example. The Tahs didn't compete for the line-out, so logically they'd be setting their defence (comprised of mostly test-capped players) to stop the maul. And yet they get bumped out of the way in barely a moment. As Kearns pointed out in the commentary, all standing upright and unable to resist the drive.

Credit to the Brumbies forward pack there, it was beautifully executed. But shabby defence from the very experienced Tahs forwards.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Exactly. That pushover try from the Brumbies was a great example. The Tahs didn't compete for the line-out, so logically they'd be setting their defence (comprised of mostly test-capped players) to stop the maul. And yet they get bumped out of the way in barely a moment. As Kearns pointed out in the commentary, all standing upright and unable to resist the drive.

Credit to the Brumbies forward pack there, it was beautifully executed. But shabby defence from the very experienced Tahs forwards.

I didn't get that.

Surely if your maul defence is so poor, you have to compete at the lineout and try and disrupt their ball otherwise you're going to concede a try.

Can someone help me on the laws here. If there is a 5m lineout, are you only allowed one player behind the lineout on the goal line (i.e. the halfback)? Or could you defend with a two man lineout with the rest of the forwards standing on the goal line ready to hit the maul as soon as it forms?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Can someone help me on the laws here. If there is a 5m lineout, are you only allowed one player behind the lineout on the goal line (i.e. the halfback)? Or could you defend with a two man lineout with the rest of the forwards standing on the goal line ready to hit the maul as soon as it forms?

You could do that, but the waiting forwards could not advance until the maul moved off the line of touch. So you would just be giving it extra time to form and get a bit of momentum before you hit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.