• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs Super Rugby-R4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
agree 100% with this. His press conference was very weird. Talks a lot of philosophic jargon "if you've got to do what you do well" Comes across a lot like R.Deans, someone who talks a big game, has grand ideas but can't create a team that works together. I hope I'm wrong but he seems very gun ho in his approach.
It's good that he has confidence in what he is doing and how he will do it.But when your captain says they gave up, you cannot condone it.
He has talked tough all off season now he has to act it.
Drop everyone that stopped chasing Mogg in that last try.
If you allow that shit to go unchecked,then you cannot ever talk about setting standards.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Watching the game at Canberra Stadium was a fantastic experience. Passionate supporters, good food, beer in tinnies, and you can still see the field from the beer queue. Brumbies fans were fun and there was lots of good joking before and after the game. About fifty times more enjoyable than watching the Tahs at the SFS.

Ripper of a night.

Except for the Waratahs. They were rubbish.

I love the banter that you get at canberra stadium I love how open it is and of course the brumbies :) i try and get to the game when ever im in town to use my membership but not as often as id like

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The most we can expect this year is that they improve week to week

I'm not seeing any sign of that.
I think there is a disconnect between Cheika and the team in that they either cant or wont change their habits.
As I said some weeks ago: the other thing that is becoming obvious is that a lot of these blokes are not "footballers": they dont think like footballers - they are semi robotic.
No wonder they cannot play what's in front of them when asked to.

Reactions: BPC

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Watching the game at Canberra Stadium was a fantastic experience. Passionate supporters, good food, beer in tinnies, and you can still see the field from the beer queue. Brumbies fans were fun and there was lots of good joking before and after the game. About fifty times more enjoyable than watching the Tahs at the SFS.
Some family from NZ went to a Brumbies game last year while in Canberra for something! Their comment were almost same as yours Richo, and I had actually mentioned to wife during game last night it looks like crowd enjoying it. Mind you I gotta say I really enjoyed watching game at home, right impressed with this Brumbies team, bloody good balanced team me thinks!!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I surprised there isn't more discussion from the Tah's supporters about Foley.

He certainly wasn't to blame for the loss last nigh, but I have never seen him be anything more than serviceable. Going forward, is he the 10 the Tahs want to build a team around?

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
God it was good to see 20 000 out there. The best the crowd has been in years.
I like that Jake White is publically challenging Canberra to turn up, to wear gold and to get on board. Bit like what Mackenzie did building the 'we are red' members drive. Smart thing to copy.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
I think there is a disconnect between Cheika and the team in that they either cant or wont change their habits.

Will be interesting to see how recruiting is handled this year. Up until now Cheika has only signed Folau. He inherited the rest of the roster and there are a dozen of them off contract this year - so I'm expecting a very different team this time next year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After last nights performance, I wouldn't be surprised if Chieka went through the place like a dose of Epsom Salts in the Punchbowl at contract renegotiation time. If I were him, I'd almost feel like sacking the bloody bus driver.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
Was glad to see Robbie Deans and his coaching team in the stands.

Could there be any better way to prove that there might be a correlation between having 10 waratahs in the wallabies last year and 15 tries from 15 matches???

The brumbies system was so damned superior - just fun to watch. We'll know if they're the real deal in a month after they've played the sharks/stormers and bulls in a row. Gonna be good games at least.

The waratshs looked better when turner came on at outside centre. Carter has to go. Next week just for fun I'd like to see:
10 - Foley
11- Mitchell
12 - Volavola
13 - Turner
14 - Folau/Kingston
15 - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Folau

alternative with folau at fullback and Kingston on the wing to bench AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for a game to gethis hungry again like with Robinson.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rob Horne should be back.

9. McKibbin
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. Horne/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Horne
14. Turner/Kingston
15. Folau

20. Lucas
21. Volavola
22. Turner/Kingston

I'm hoping Betham is fit soon, I really want to see how he's going.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
As a dedicated Tahs supporter that was just so bloody disappointing. After a bit of promise in the first two games in between all the dropped balls and penalties, they served that crap up last night. Denis made the comment afterwards that once they got behind they lost belief, that was the most accurate thing said all night.

I'm not a big 'wholesale changes' kinda guy, but gee there have to be some heads role after that performance. Sure the Brumbies are a good side, but they made enough mistakes to allow the Tahs to be still in the game, but we looked beaten from the kick-off.

Kepu continues to be lazy, Holmes is a mile below Super rugby standard, Chapman followed a good game against the Reds with a shocker, giving away too many penalties and sloppy in the line-out, while captain Denis, our most consistent performer last year, has hardly been sighted this year.

In the backs I'm far from convinced McKibben is our answer at 9, I think Lucas provides better service, and our centre pairing offers nothing, just a couple of big guys who can't step, pass or do anything bar run straight ahead. Folau continues to be found out of position in defence, and I don't think Volavola, while a genuine excitement machine, is sold enough for starting 15. In fact the Tah to come out with his reputation intact, imo, was Douglas, who continued to cross the advantage line in attack, mad some big hits in defence and really adds to our scrum.

As to the Brumbies, it's hard to single anyone out, they were great across the park. Great to see Smith back, White was light years ahead of his opponent, and Mogg was awesome. Crucially, they really believe in themselves and their game plan, they are brilliant at getting out of their danger zone and the structure of their defence is outstanding.

I hope Cheika establishes this week that he really hates losing, and worse still being humiliated, and that the players really feel the brunt of it. Time to put a few pretenders in the stands, watching the guys who really want to play and win, and will do so with their last breath. Surely there are a few of those left after Phil Waugh retired!!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Not a great game to sit through I must say, our halfbacks were so poor our attack was so predictable all night and they rarely tried anything different other than shovelling the ball along the line. This is a worrying trend that developed with other Alan Gaffney coached teams in Ireland, once the system goes wrong there is a lot of east to west play. Needless to say there is a huge amount to work on, was so disappointed that the players heads seemed to go down far too easily.
I must say though the Brumbies fans were awesome, there was a really good atmosphere generated in the stadium although not a huge fan of the Mexican waves! The Rathborner sign was awesome and selling cans of beer instead of water down pints is something every stadium should be doing.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ Apparently not the first use of Rathboner. I think the "Twilight Saga" is something that the young'uns know something about.

From the Urban Dictionary:http://www.urbandictionary.com/products.php?term=Rathboner&defid=3896728

Rathboner, n. When you get a boner thinking about Jackson Rathbone.
Specifically when he is playing his role as Jasper Cullen in the Twilight Saga Movies.
Jackson Rathbone is the most gorgeous actor ever.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Googled it. Accidentally found it as I had googled in the vain hope that a photo of said banner was available. Know nothing about Twilight Saga as Junior Jarses are all boys.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
Rob Horne should be back.

9. McKibbin
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. Horne/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Horne
14. Turner/Kingston
15. Folau

Yes forgot about Barnes and Horne. Hmm, how will they fit those guysin to the 22? Guess Im expecting a 4/3 bench now.
Not that Im a massive Horne fan - he plays about the same as carter just better.

Should Barnes go 10, 12 or 15? I'd prefer 10 if Cheika can give him a clear gameplan to execute.

Status
Not open for further replies.