• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs Super Rugby-R4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just watched the replay again.

The score of 35-6 looks like a beating but for the Waratahs, Dave Dennis will learn a lot from that much in terms of decision making. At least twice in the 2nd half and with plenty of time to go with the score at 21-6 they declined easy shots at penalty. One of the lineouts ended up being knocked on and the other one went nowhere.

If it then becomes 21-12 then it looks closer and they still could have got something out of the game instead of 4 tries to 0 considering Dennis said that the 3 early penalties the Brumbies kicked put them on the back foot after less than 10 minutes.

What compounded their problems was the fact that when they went for the corner, the Tahs didn't get touch within 5 metres of the try line. Their lineout was struggling, and having the throw in 10-15 metres away from the line allowed the Brumbies to get up and contest the ball.

By contrast, when the Brumbies scored their pushover try, the lineout was within 5 metres of the try line.

Hopefully Dennis learned his lesson there. If your lineout is struggling, and your kickers can't get the ball into touch within 5 metres of the tryline, go for the 3 points.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I didn't get that.

Surely if your maul defence is so poor, you have to compete at the lineout and try and disrupt their ball otherwise you're going to concede a try.

Can someone help me on the laws here. If there is a 5m lineout, are you only allowed one player behind the lineout on the goal line (i.e. the halfback)? Or could you defend with a two man lineout with the rest of the forwards standing on the goal line ready to hit the maul as soon as it forms?

Or you sack the ball-carrier the moment he hits the ground - which the Brumbies also did well at least once in this game. But if you have a full line-out and don't compete in the air, you should be able to organise a good maul defence at least initially - the defending team has the advantage in that case of having no jumper and no lifters who have to switch from winning the line-out to forming the maul. But I'd like to hear whether you could go for the 2-man option.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
The stamping incident is just bizarre.

For a guy who never barges in to (legally or illegally) clear out a ruck and chooses instead to repeatedly appeal to the referee with an outstretched hand it certainly is an odd move to do something that would injure another person that was lying prone and defenseless.

What the hell was he thinking?

I thought the oddest thing about the incident was that Alexander was talking to the ref and pointing to Robinson's leg before he did it! "Look ref, a leg, I'm going to stamp on it ref, watch me stamp ref!" At least you can't say it was sneaky.

Reactions: BPC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Robbo got a yellow card for a repeated infringement, I don't understand how Ben Alexander wasn't red carded and cited.

P

Paradox

The stamping incident is just bizarre.

For a guy who never barges in to (legally or illegally) clear out a ruck and chooses instead to repeatedly appeal to the referee with an outstretched hand it certainly is an odd move to do something that would injure another person that was lying prone and defenseless.

What the hell was he thinking?

You clearly aren't talking about Alexander because he hits rucks. Alexander was stupid but more so frustrated with the Tahs slowing down the ball when the Brumbies were about to score. He got 10 in the bin for a little tap with his foot. Tahs got penality. Sounds about right. Sanity prevailed.

P

Paradox

If Robbo got a yellow card for a repeated infringement

He got sent off because for a professional foul about 10 cms from the try line when the Brumbies were hot on attack. IF he wasn't lying all over the ball, the Brumbies score next phase.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not questioning Robbo getting a yellow card.

I'm questioning why Alexander stomping on a player wasn't dealt with more severely. It's the most malicious action by an Australian rugby player I can remember in the last few years.

The referee was going to send Robbo to the bin regardless of that happening. It was completely unnecessary and in my opinion very uncharacteristic of a player who I wouldn't have expected to do anything of the sort.

P

Paradox

I'm not questioning Robbo getting a yellow card..

I thought you did Braveheart. You wrote:

If Robbo got a yellow card for a repeated infringement, I don't understand how Ben Alexander wasn't red carded and cited.

It wasn't a repeated infringement, it was a professional foul for stopping a try and thus warranted an immediate yellow. Back to Alexander, I don't think it was a malicious stamp, it was more like a love tap. Use to be the norm when I played which is not that long ago :oops:. You said it was unnecessary but Alexander was trying to shift a player who was killing the ball and he deliberately went for the back of the leg to avoid doing some damage. I know plenty will disagree but it's unlikely that FatCat was even hurt. I'm sure FatCat's wounds (or lack of them) were examined post game.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Can someone help me on the laws here. If there is a 5m lineout, are you only allowed one player behind the lineout on the goal line (i.e. the halfback)? Or could you defend with a two man lineout with the rest of the forwards standing on the goal line ready to hit the maul as soon as it forms?

You could defend that way as the laws only specify a minimum of two defenders in the lineout so the rest could stand 5 metres back on the goal line and could move forward once the ball has been advanced over the line down the middle of the lineout.

But why would you want to give them a 5 metre gap to maul into where they can create momentum? If you're really that worried about the driving maul defend with seven men in the lineout and get your body height right and coordinate your attack - either a sack or a drive or a combination.

The Brumbies showed how to defend the maul at 57:49 on the game clock when they committed less numbers but stills stopped the Waratahs drive, although the poor organisation from the Waratahs made it easier for the Brumbies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Rob Horne should be back.

9. McKibbin
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. Horne/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Horne
14. Turner/Kingston
15. Folau

20. Lucas
21. Volavola
22. Turner/Kingston

I'm hoping Betham is fit soon, I really want to see how he's going.

Oh yeah, Horne is the answer to the Tahs backline problems !

Reactions: BPC

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Back to Alexander, I don't think it was a malicious stamp, it was more like a love tap. Use to be the norm when I played which is not that long ago. You said it was unnecessary but Alexander was trying to shift a player who was killing the ball

This is one of the dafter things written about the game. Any low blow deserves to be penalised harshly.

he deliberately went for the back of the leg to avoid doing some damage.

That is just so inane I don't know how to respond. If he was malicious he would have rolled Robinson over first?

it's unlikely that FatCat was even hurt. I'm sure FatCat's wounds (or lack of them) were examined post game.

I missed that part of the rules that says that dangerous play is okay if no-one is hurt. Should we immediately start releasing anyone currently facing an attempted murder charge?

I agree that it was a brain-fart and out of character for Alexander, but he should have had to at least faced the judiciary.

P

Paradox

This is one of the dafter things written about the game. Any low blow deserves to be penalised harshly.

That is just so inane I don't know how to respond. If he was malicious he would have rolled Robinson over first?

I missed that part of the rules that says that dangerous play is okay if no-one is hurt. Should we immediately start releasing anyone currently facing an attempted murder charge?

I agree that it was a brain-fart and out of character for Alexander, but he should have had to at least faced the judiciary.

Ok so you disagree. I'm surprised at the outrage you've expressed - it's not one shared by my former team mates (who generally aren't Brumby fans). Alexander WAS punished for his actions by receiving a yellow card. That was an appropriate amount of punishment. Why waste the judiciaries time if he was going to get off?

If I go to stiff arm you and you duck and I miss, I will not be seeing the judiciary. Of course the aftermath makes a difference. As you've said yourself - see attempted murder vs murder - btw, attempted murder is an interesting analogy. I'm sure you weren't trying to sensationalise things though :p. We often see pictures of bruised eyes after matches to prove a person has been gouged. If my hand travels near your eye and you claim a gouge and have no damage to your eye..good luck proving I did wrong. A stomp on the head, knee, hand, back or groin is far worse than what Alexander yet you want to condemn him as if he'd done one of those things. Where is the outrage in the media to this ruling? Looks like a Tah fan smoke screen. ;)

EDIT: Just noticed Brumby Jacks photo link above. Looks nasty but I still say a citing would have been overkill.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
PS: now that the dust has settled, it is more clear what huge loss Pocock's injury is to the Brumbies (and the Wobs), even if we have George Smith to temporarily fill the void.
I'd say our whole 2013 campaign could be influenced by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.