• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs Super Rugby-R4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Can't really say much about that selection apart from that I agree with every call Cheks has made. Lets hope Lopeti gets a decent run off the bench to cause some havoc!

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
In Sydney they think that anything not in a plastic cup will be used as a weapon. At most sports, they're probably right. I would say they could sell cans of beer at Tahs games with no issues. I have never witnessed any violent behaviour at a Waratahs game nor anything that really required police intervention.

Yet every time I go to the footy or cricket, they let me in with my metal thermos of jasmine tea.

And my partner's sultana scones. Talk about deadly weapons.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Shame that Berrick isn't back yet.

Dennis to 8 and Chapman to 6 was probably one of the few things that wasn't mooted in the thread. What that should mean is that Sitaleki Timani plays the big ball runner in the absence of Palu and later in the game Lopeti replaces him, goes to 8, Dennis goes to 6 and Chapman goes to lock.

Volavola to fullback and Folau to the wing is great. Kingston is unlucky to miss the 22 altogether, but Turner deserves a shot off the bench at the very least.

Great to see Cutch is ready to return. Hopefully he'll get a few minutes and provide some impact late in the game.

Paddy Ryan to start ahead of Kepu is a great choice on form. John Ulugia missing out is a bit tough on him, but it's good to see Holmes getting a run.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Kepu is starting, not Ryan. Error on the Tahs website apparently. A shame, I liked that change.

Shame, thought Ryan deserved a run, finally a call I don't agree with the coach on. Gives me an excuse to stay on here and chat instead of getting back to work!

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm a littled concerned on the balance of the backrow as there doesn't really be anyone that can effectively bend the line with too much gusto. Having said that Dennis and Chapman will work all day...

I was interested to see L Timani get a run.

I guess I'll just have to settle for his big brother.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
BTW, isn't Chapman proving to be a great pickup for the Tahs? He's covering a few holes, and doing it very well. Sad to see Fitzpatrick was injured, but it's proven kismet for Chapman. I'll be interested to see how Chapman goes at 6, to see if he still has the mobility to play that role well.

Also, the Tahs lineout should not be too affected, as Dennis, Chapman and Douglas are all very capable jumpers. Having three good targets should make it much harder for the Brumbies to shut them down.

Would like to see the Brumbies lineout stats - they have four good jumpers in their run on side: Fardy, Carter, Kimlin and Mowen. Who are their main targets, other than Mowen?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Chapman is proving to be esssential to the Tahs.

I imagine he'll be packing at 6 but playing a tighter game and Sitaleki Timani will be given more free reign to stand a bit wider and crash the ball up.

Dean Hyde

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are you sure thats not only because the weather will be good :D

University of Canberra and/or Brumbies are running a promotion this week. First 500 students for 20 bucks get:
- GA Ticket
- Clyde Rathbone T-Shirt
- 4 Free drinks.

Sounds like they are trying to get a student section going like "The Zoo" in Dunedin. Hope it takes off, some extra atmosphere at Canberra Stadium would never go a stray.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scott Allen did an article on the front page about the Brumbies lineout...

Yup, but he didn't analyse in detail how their lineout worked, only that it was functioning well and Moore was throwing well.

Wasted some time finding these stats, but here's the Brumbies' lineout stats so far.

Vs the Reds:
Mowen: 5 takes, 1 steal
Kimlin: 1 take
Carter: 2 takes
Fardy: 4 takes

Vs the Rebels:
Mowen: 4 takes
Kimlin: 2 steals
Carter: 3 takes
Fardy: 2 takes

Mowen is the main target, rest is shared between the locks, with Kimlin used occasionally.

The numbers agree with Scott - he mentioned that they had won 21 out of 22 lineouts in their two games. The total of 5 steals in two games is quite nice, too. What the stats don't show is how much they have disrupted both the Reds' and Rebels' lineouts to create messy ball.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
In fairness the Brumbies aren't really set up to blow teams away, whilst I think the Brumbies will sneak it, I don't think they've got the attacking ability through the pack or the backs to win by that big a margin. One which you'd assume required 4+ tries.

Well we beat the reds by 18, only scoring 2 tries. The trick is not letting the other team score, it's a good tactic. Only won by 17 against the Rebels despite scoring 4 tries. Anything could happen, but I don't think a 19 point victory at home is overly optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.