• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs Super Rugby-R4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Can't help but think that this game is the litmus test for the Tahs. Win it and their confidence will take off. The pressure will be off and there will be confidence in the game plan.

Lose and you just add another layer of questions which will be unfortunate.

Not so sure the Tahs are at that stage. A bonus point defeat wouldn't be the end of the world, although I suppose your right that they haven't really made a massive statement yet in the Cheika era (all two games of it).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I wonder, given Palu is out, whether we should play Sita at 8 and tell him to go nuts for 50, then bringing on Lopeti to finish. Sita could pack at THL for the scrums with Chapman at 8, which should give us an advantage even though Palmer is at THP. We've got Chapman, Dennis and Douglas to jump

We need to find an edge for this game, or maybe several edges. Picking a really big pack with Dennis and Hooper to get to rucks quickly is one edge we could have. I reckon the Ponies have an edge at lineout, at 9/10/12, and overall kicking game. Although we have not shown it yet I think we might do well to try some power pick-and-drives. Its not really in Chieka's new game book but for this game we need to find some edges. The Reds play different gameplans each week depending on who they are playing and we need to learn to do the same.

There are two essentials for a good performance. Firstly in defence we must get our line speed faster and start our runs from onside positions. This is so we meet the runners before the gain line. The other thing we have to do to avoid a drubbing is to play the game at pace. We cannot play slow and deliberate or we will get smashed.

I would play:
1. Robbo 2. TPN 3. Ryan​
4. Chapman 5. Douglas​
6. Dennis 7. Hooper 8. Sitaleki​
9. McKibben 10. Foley​
11. Mitchell 12. Carter 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14. Folau​
15. Volavola​

16. Ulugia 17. Kepu 18. Lopeti 19. Gilbert​
20, Lucas 21. Barnes 22. Kingston​
Given what we've seen so far, the only alternative I would contemplate is bringing Turner on at 15, Volavola to the bench and Kingston drops out. The match will require level headedness and experience and Turner has that in spades. We lose a second playmaker though so I'm pretty ambivalent.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not so sure the Tahs are at that stage. A bonus point defeat wouldn't be the end of the world, although I suppose your right that they haven't really made a massive statement yet in the Cheika era (all two games of it).
I expect the tahs to lose, the brumbies have a better team plus are a year ahead of us in their rebuilding. Winning in Canberra is tough at the best of times.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wonder, given Palu is out, whether we should play Sita at 8 and tell him to go nuts for 50, then bringing on Lopeti to finish. Sita could pack at THL for the scrums with Chapman at 8, which should give us an advantage even though Palmer is at THP. We've got Chapman, Dennis and Douglas to jump

We need to find an edge for this game, or maybe several edges. Picking a really big pack with Dennis and Hooper to get to rucks quickly is one edge we could have. I reckon the Ponies have an edge at lineout, at 9/10/12, and overall kicking game. Although we have not shown it yet I think we might do well to try some power pick-and-drives. Its not really in Chieka's new game book but for this game we need to find some edges. The Reds play different gameplans each week depending on who they are playing and we need to learn to do the same.

There are two essentials for a good performance. Firstly in defence we must get our line speed faster and start our runs from onside positions. This is so we meet the runners before the gain line. The other thing we have to do to avoid a drubbing is to play the game at pace. We cannot play slow and deliberate or we will get smashed.

I would play:
1. Robbo 2. TPN 3. Ryan​
4. Chapman 5. Douglas​
9. McKibben 10. Foley​
15. Volavola​

Given what we've seen so far, the only alternative I would contemplate is bringing Turner on at 15, Volavola to the bench and Kingston drops out. The match will require level headedness and experience and Turner has that in spades. We lose a second playmaker though so I'm pretty ambivalent.
Lopeti has looked really good so far, he deserves the opportunity

Sitaleki is too ponderous for 8, we need aggression, athleticism and mobility

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The Tahs have given up 2 fairly big leads in the first half. If that happens again the Brumbies won't be so generous in letting them back into the game as the Rebels or Reds were and will be expecting an intensity lift. Not convinced they can come out and start as well as needed to win this.

Ryan and Lopeti would be my picks to start, Sitaleki on the bench.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Tahs have given up 2 fairly big leads in the first half. If that happens again the Brumbies won't be so generous in letting them back into the game as the Rebels or Reds were and will be expecting an intensity lift. Not convinced they can come out and start as well as needed to win this.

Ryan and Lopeti would be my picks to start, Sitaleki on the bench.

Brumbies have conceded 0 points in the two second halves so far.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think the Tahs are a real chance of winning this game. I don't think the Brumbies have been properly tested yet, and if the Tahs can bring their A-game then it will be on for young and old.

This game is the most important in the Aussie conference so far, and will tell us bucketloads about the finals aspirations of both sides.

I can't wait.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the Tahs are a real chance of winning this game. I don't think the Brumbies have been properly tested yet, and if the Tahs can bring their A-game then it will be on for young and old.

This game is the most important in the Aussie conference so far, and will tell us bucketloads about the finals aspirations of both sides.

I can't wait.

They are a chance, but the Tahs haven't played 80 minutes yet.

If they play "well" for 40, they will lose badly

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I would play:
1. Robbo 2. TPN 3. Ryan​
4. Chapman 5. Douglas​
9. McKibben 10. Foley​
15. Volavola​

This, definitely. I like that squad, admittedly it's a little light on the bench for 2nd row cover but given we have 4 potential locks in the starting 8, we should be right. Agree Turner to 15 is an option. If Barnes isn't fit, I'd have Lachie on the bench at the very least.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies will kill us at the breakdown if we play Douglas, Chapman and Sitaleki. That said, I would play Sitaleki but at lock over Chapman, he's very good at moving bodies at the breakdown when he gets low and drives over, give him the task of smashing Pocock off the ball.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Instead of smashing Pocock out of the breakdown we should take the NZ approach and make him tackle. Let our big forwards target him with ball in hand and take him out of the game completely

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not sure that Timani for Chapman is the right move this game. Brumbies lineout has been very strong so far, so the Tahs should make sure they select a team that can at least win their own ball comfortably. Chapman may be needed for that.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Of course, Dennis could play 8 and Chapman could play blindside - which he originally was. This was free Sita to play lock, but then Lopeti misses out.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Let our big forwards target him with ball in hand and take him out of the game completely

Against the Reds, when we had set up a pick and drive scenario, Pocock would stand behind the pillar/post/key and let them make the tackle. As soon as the player was on the ground he would be straight on the ball. Happened so many times, and the thing was that we simply couldn't run at him and force him to make the tackle as there was usually a couple of locks and a prop in the way. So we either had to run straight into that ambush or go wide earlier than we wanted which again, they were ready for.

Check out Pocock's tackle stats for the Reds/Ponies game - he made bugger all because he was standing behind the line most of the night. It was very effective.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Instead of smashing Pocock out of the breakdown we should take the NZ approach and make him tackle. Let our big forwards target him with ball in hand and take him out of the game completely
It's not just a NZ thing though, I recall Knuckles Connolly promoting that tactic for the Wobs against Sir Richie, many moons ago.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
It's not just a NZ thing though, I recall Knuckles Connolly promoting that tactic for the Wobs against Sir Richie, many moons ago.

I just remember after Pococks performance against the Saffas in the World Cup NZ deliberately targeted him in that in the semi final. I knew a kiwi like Graham Henry couldn't have devised that one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.