• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs Super Rugby-R4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Haven't seen much from the Brumbies in attack either, only have 1 try more. The defence obviously is very impressive.

These may be the numbers, but the Brumbies seem to be a little more organised throughout the 80s than the Tahs. The Tahs seem to lose focus at times, they seem more fragile psychologically, it will take a few wins to get the confidence up. On the basis of the matches played so far, the Brumbies are definitely more vulnerable at the beginning of a match than in the second half. However, they have this uncanny capaicity to hang in there till the tide turns and then pile up points.
Talk is too much about Pocock - it will take a lot more than stopping Pocock for the Tahs to win the match.
Close match/result.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Brumbies are comfortable favourites based on what we've seen thus far. The Tahs need to go up a few gears, and keep it running at that pace, and the Brumbies would have to go backwards a fair bit to lose. Too dynamic in the pack for mine, and more cohesive in attack, though the Tahs have threats if they click.
Brumbies by 8-9 at least

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's not just a NZ thing though, I recall Knuckles Connolly promoting that tactic for the Wobs against Sir Richie, many moons ago.

And Bob Dwyer did the same thing in 1991 with Willie O (+ball-in-hand) aiming straight for Michael Jones. Worked a treat.

P

Paradox

Haven't seen much from the Brumbies in attack either, only have 1 try more. The defence obviously is very impressive.

Brumbies haven't gelled in attack at all. I still have questions marks over To'omua in attack.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see what the Tahs do on the bench. The talk is either AJ Gilbert or Pat McCutcheon.

It would seem crazy to put Cutch on the bench with no rugby in a year (it's a shame last Friday's curtain raiser got called off). He's completely short of match fitness and if he had to spend much time on the field it could really cost the Tahs.

I'd go with AJ Gilbert.

I'd again start Chapman instead of Timani to make our lineout functional and bring Timani on with half an hour to go to provide some go forward (probably around the time when Fotu Auelea comes on).

Hopefully Barnes is fit and if so, he should start ahead of Carter.

I'd play:

Robbo, TPN, Ryan
Chapman, Douglas
Dennis, L Timani, Hooper
McKibbin Foley
Mitchell, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau
Volavola

Bench: Kepu, Ulugia, S Timani, Gilbert, Lucas, Kingston, Carter.

I think we have to start Volavola and Folau and go out all guns blazing. Based on the two Brumbies games, we can't be chasing this one. We need to score points in the first half and get on top of them. They are too good at grinding out a win once they're ahead.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Agree with all this. For better or worse, this Tahs team is -- at least for the moment -- a scoring side, not a defensive one. Might as well go all in.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
So when is Betham going to get a game? Or is he injured?

So much talk of his ITM cup form I expected him to at least be in the 22...

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Normally I'd expect a turgid affiar between these two team. I'm hoping we see the outside backs used on the weekend. The tahs outside backs last week were one of the reasons they were able to lift for the win (along with some dynamic play from the front rowers, Kepu excluded). Volavola and Folau and a Drew Mitchell returning to full strength spell good news for the tahs.

Still cant see the Brumbies slipping up here. Brumbies by about 5.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree 100% with Braveheart81 on the 22. If no Barnes/not confident he can last, switch him and Carter. If he's still "half rat power" Turner prob onto the bench...

I read in the Australian today that they are looking at 20K+ crowd, which would be a great effort. Also, it said super rugby ratings are up 40+% this year. there is a real postive buzz about the rugby this year. lets hope this game delivers.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I read in the Australian today that they are looking at 20K+ crowd, which would be a great effort. Also, it said super rugby ratings are up 40+% this year. there is a real postive buzz about the rugby this year. lets hope this game delivers.

Let's see how the ratings do with NRL back however and then AFL soon after..

Let's see how the ratings do with NRL back however and then AFL soon after..
I honestly dont think it will make a difference. Die-hard leaguies will never watch rugby. floaters will still watch both. and remember that foxtel figures can take account of people who record a program then play it back within a certain amount of time.

and those comparisons are on a like-for-like comparision of correspoding times last year. so if this increase is just leaguies or afl fans, then why werent they also watching at the same time last year?

Dean Hyde

Allen Oxlade (6)

From memory last years game was around 18500. With the Brumbies in form and the return of George Smith I think 20,000 should be easily achievable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are you sure thats not only because the weather will be good :D

Not snowing/sleeting = good Canberra weather.

Compared to last year's match which was in May, I'm expecting balmy conditions.

My biggest mistake last year was not bringing a stubby holder. My can(s) of beer were almost freezing to my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.