• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

meathead

T'was three.

Alan Ala'alatoa, Mark Baldwin, Brogan Roods (Newington College), Curtis Browning, Chris F'Sautia (Brisbane State High School), Tom Cusack (Marist College Canberra), Rhys Dombkins (St Augustine’s College), Allan Faalavau (Dandenong High School), Feao Fotuakai (St Francis College), David Horwitz, Jim Stewart (The Scots College), Feleti Kaituu, Sean McMahon (St Joseph’s Nudgee College), Benjamin Lawley (Knox Grammar School), Scott Malolua (Marist College Ashgrove), Jake McIntyre (Alstonville High School), Maile Ngauamo (Ipswich Grammar School), Alex Northam (Killarney Heights HS), Harry Scoble (Wanneroo SHS), Saia Tanginoa (Prairewood HS), Caleb Timu (Marsden SHS), Michael Wells (St Ignatius’ College), Waldo Wessels (Endeavour SHS). Andrew Elliot(Manager) Stephen Phillpotts (Coach), Paul Geddes (Asst Manager), Tim Rapp (Asst Coach), William Maher (Physiotherapist), Dr Michael McLean (Doctor)

Australia A Schools Rugby Team to Play England Under 18 at Oakhill College, Sydney 24 Aug 3:13pm

James Caterson (Endeavour Sports HS), Jack Debreczeni (Trinity Grammar School), Richard Hardwick (Churchlands SHS), Craig Hunt, Tom Moloney (St Joseph’s Nudgee College), Sam Johnson (St Edmund’s College), Fa’atausili Lafaitele (Victoria Point SHS), Angus Le Lievre (St Joseph’s College), Ephraim Lesa (Lalor Secondary School), Patrick McCarthy (Aquinas College), Jock Merriman (Shore School), Will Miller (The Scots College), Andrew Robinson (St Mary McKillop College), Harry Rorke, Jonathan Vaux (St Ignatius College), Nathan Roye (Newington College), Nathan Scarano (Knox Grammar School), Tautala Tasi (Ipswich Grammar School), Corey Thomas (Guildford Grammar School), Scott Tolmie (Cyril Jackson SHS), Campbell Wakely (The Southport School), Terrin Walls (St Patrick’s College), Jack Walters (The Scots College), John Rownes (Manager), Jarred Hodges (Coach), Peter Gibson (Asst Coach), Tom Lombardo (Physiotherapist)

I would of expected more trinity players in the sides than knox, considering trinity have smashed every CAS team???
Any one hav thoughts on that?

W

waves

I would of expected more trinity players in the sides than knox, considering trinity have smashed every CAS team???
Any one hav thoughts on that?

I would have only seen Debreczeni from Trinity a likely candidate for Australian Schoolboys along with Patrick Sio they are the leaders of the Trinity team this year. Lawley has been in great form likewise with Scarano in my thoughts the real find of the season. Congratulations to the boys on their selections.

C

Casnovian

I would have only seen Debreczeni from Trinity a likely candidate for Australian Schoolboys along with Patrick Sio they are the leaders of the Trinity team this year. Lawley has been in great form likewise with Scarano in my thoughts the real find of the season. Congratulations to the boys on their selections.

I would suggest selection closely driven by the positions and the depth of talent available.

Pat Sio was very quiet in the first two games of the Nationals and only became alive in the final two. Particularly the last one against WA - I think the pencil had done its work before that.

Harrison Orr was doing very well at flanker and number 8 (not his positions) until he was involved in a head clash in the Q1 game and all of the concussion precautions kicked in.

Perhaps one of the best games of the tournament as Q1 were totally rattled in the end. A few more minutes and they would have been history (Q1 won 32 - 26).

No 8s as in the No 7s depth and availability at the nationals was amazing. Victorias No 8 - biggest man on the turf (including Reds when they attended) didn't get a guernsey. WA got some second rowers in. Nothing special however were solid workers. Gordon Broome missed out as well.

There were no particular standouts of those chosen in the teams. may be my cynical side - if you bomb tries and lose games (NSW II vs Victoria for example) and the final Q1 vs NSW 1 - one does get noticed. And according to some of the players - being a "suck up" does pay off.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I would suggest selection closely driven by the positions and the depth of talent available.

Pat Sio was very quiet in the first two games of the Nationals and only became alive in the final two. Particularly the last one against WA - I think the pencil had done its work before that.

Harrison Orr was doing very well at flanker and number 8 (not his positions) until he was involved in a head clash in the Q1 game and all of the concussion precautions kicked in.

Perhaps one of the best games of the tournament as Q1 were totally rattled in the end. A few more minutes and they would have been history (Q1 won 32 - 26).

No 8s as in the No 7s depth and availability at the nationals was amazing. Victorias No 8 - biggest man on the turf (including Reds when they attended) didn't get a guernsey. WA got some second rowers in. Nothing special however were solid workers. Gordon Broome missed out as well.

There were no particular standouts of those chosen in the teams. may be my cynical side - if you bomb tries and lose games (NSW II vs Victoria for example) and the final Q1 vs NSW 1 - one does get noticed. And according to some of the players - being a "suck up" does pay off.

I find the final sentence of your post quite offensive and demeaning to those boys who got picked. I was there and saw all games. I believe that those players chosen deserved their place and at some stage of the tournament showed what they are capable of. The only shock of the selections in my opinion was the omission of gordon broome from either team.

C

Casnovian

I find the final sentence of your post quite offensive and demeaning to those boys who got picked. I was there and saw all games. I believe that those players chosen deserved their place and at some stage of the tournament showed what they are capable of. The only shock of the selections in my opinion was the omission of gordon broome from either team.

No personal offence implied or meant - perhaps I should of said - some players were more adept and skilful in "influencing" than others - that is a fact and a reality regardless of what you may personally find.

This is no different from every day in one's life. You are subject to and exert influence every day (that includes with and by your children, partner, next door neighbour etc. etc etc) - you always have been and you will always will be subject to influence unless the human condition changes.

I doubt it as humans are wired that way.

C

Casnovian

And..........don't shoot the messenger - thats the players words not mine - they are a pretty cohesive group as a core of them have played together the last three or so years. Alert and astute young men who call a spade a spade. The other end on the continuum of influencing was one player who seemed to do everything to stay on the bench and that he did. No names no pack drill - seemed a wasted trip for him. What happens on tour stays on tour.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Inuendo and hearsay is not fact and not evidence. if you don't know something for sure or you are unable to back up what your saying then don't say anything at all. If you personally saw these players at the championship and you believe that don't deserve a place in tany of the teams then make your case. However, I did see all games (except for the 78/8 playoff) and I can say that i do not have any problems with the players that are picked. if you saw someone that performed better put their name out there.

As for Gordon Broome to say that he did not play well enough may be correct when you compare his performance to that of the 7's they did pick, but from what i saw he was up there with the best of them and would not have been out of place in either team.

C

Casnovian

Inuendo and hearsay is not fact and not evidence. if you don't know something for sure or you are unable to back up what your saying then don't say anything at all.

Don't know whats eating you champion or where you are coming from?

I stated a human fact, this is a political world whether you find it or not - after all the main purpose of the games were a trial and selection for the National teams. Championship second.

I think you would agree each player would no doubt be very motivated to put their best foot forward. Some acted or given poor advice and lacked the maturity to know or appreciate "sucking up" is not a good look particularly in front of your peers who have a very powerful and uniting force - for this age group - i.e. peer pressure.

On not saying anything at all - on the contrary - I can't resist a robust discussion with a learned individual as your esteemed self.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I have nothing eating me just not over the negativity that comes after these type of teams are selected. The normal fallback that politics kept this player out or they were only selected because they are a favorite of the coach gets to me sometimes - especially when it comes from people who weren't there or have their own axe to grind (not saying this is you). I just wish there was more positive towards these teams from people as it takes away the pleasure these boys obviously showed when their names were read out. As you have said what happens on tour (or at the championships) stays on tour, so lets support the teams and players and hope they get over both the Poms and the Kiwis

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
tips this weekend?

Only certainty is it will rain.

Barker/ Aloysius is cancelled already. Trinity/Waverley has been switched to Trinity, I guess because Queens Park will be a lake. Not sure about Knox/Cranbrook.

The interesting game is Waverley/Trinity. Trinity is essentially a running side, and conditions won't help them. They don't really play a field position/kicking/maintain possession game. It could be a good, old-fashioned, low scoring arm wrestle - unless it's called off.

A

accountblue

I have seen Hordern and it is what people have said about Queens Park: a lake. The puddles scattered around the oval would be very dangerous to play on and if the rain continues it is very likely that the game will either be moved to knox (don't know about the drainage there), or completely cancelled. If one game is cancelled it is very likely that the others will follow suit in such unprecedented conditions.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I have seen Hordern and it is what people have said about Queens Park: a lake. The puddles scattered around the oval would be very dangerous to play on and if the rain continues it is very likely that the game will either be moved to knox (don't know about the drainage there), or completely cancelled. If one game is cancelled it is very likely that the others will follow suit in such unprecedented conditions.

Trinity Vs Waves is still on (so sayeth the wet weather line) - the game has been moved to Summer Hill - can't imagine that the cricket wicket area will be very attractive. Originally they were due to play 15A, 16A, 2nd XV as well - but that kept being pared back - now just 1st XV.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
knox beat cranbrook 43-10, both teams played with 14 from 5 mins to go in 1st half after brett johnson (knox) and luke brown (cranbrook) were sent off after a bad brawl near the cranbrook supporters. liam creeley at 12 for knox had a really good game.

C

Casnovian

A lacklustre Trinity up over Waverley: 24 - 15.

Second that - very patchy and stop start - even though t e ground was pretty well intact - except over the cricket pitch - very heavy under foot - some tired players. Give credit to Waverly taking it up the middle - relentless and they got better as the game progressed. Look forward to Knox next week!

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Second that - very patchy and stop start - even though t e ground was pretty well intact - except over the cricket pitch - very heavy under foot - some tired players. Give credit to Waverly taking it up the middle - relentless and they got better as the game progressed. Look forward to Knox next week!

The Waverley pick & drive was perhaps the feature of the day & yes, it got better as the game went on.

Status
Not open for further replies.