• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
What has happened to Knox? 70 points against Trinity!! (And didn't they leak close to 50 in the 1st round against them?)

They have 2 Australian reps in their 1st XV and plenty of other good players around them. Yes Cam Clarke has been out injured for the whole season but the school is one of the biggest in Sydney. They must have got plenty of other half decent players to choose from!

Perhaps time for some new coaching blood up there? Can anyone from Knox cast any light on why the team has been so poor this year when on paper they seemingly should have been title contenders.

What's the participation rate in rugby like there these days? (ie number of rugby teams v number of football teams)

clubpro

Stan Wickham (3)
What's the participation rate in rugby like there these days? (ie number of rugby teams v number of football teams)
I have a young boy at school and it really pees me off that the majority of mothers won't let their boys play rugby due to a perceived idea that rugby is too dangerous. Thats why the headmaster has made rugby compulsory for 2 years to at least give the kids a chance to try it. This is why the depth is so sadly lacking in a lot of schools. In my day rugby was compulsory until senior school and we did not even have soccer at prep school. A lot of talented athletes go to soccer at a young age and sometimes never play rugby. I know some kids want to play but say their mums won't let them. I think soccer is just as dangerous, especially with leg injuries. I've seen enough leg and ankle breaks to help form my opinion.
Our school use to be able to field a whole round of teams in each age group to the E's. Sadly, not these days. If we want to challenge the GPS comp we have to get more participation in the schools. It's no disrespect to other winter sports when I say that no one really cares about any other sport except for Rugby in the CAS and GPS. Rugby is the tool with which a lot of schools use to attract positive publicity for donations and funding from old boys. I read with interest in one of the threads that a happy old boy is a generous one.

J

juno99

players missing from the knox 1st xv :

clark, cottee, scarano, creely, johnson, betar, rowley

players that went off injured during the game:

taylor, lawley, moss, bursle, scott, mclintock, mcilwaine

by the end 3rds players were being put on as replacements

this should shed some light on the scoreline

well done to trinity

R

rockon

missing from starting line-up: trinity
J.Satui- CAS open 1st XV
J.Pack- CAS open 1st XV
M.Afele- only just came back from injury
J.Roberts-Only just came back from injury

off by the end of the game due to, although minor injuries.
V.Morsello- Cas open 1st XV, NSW open shadow squad
D.Hazell- Cas open 2nd XV

Don't say trinity were full strength.. knox may have had some significant injuries/players out but its a two way street.

M

meathead

From what i heard Knox were too soft to handle the smashing by a dominating trinity side, so their main players gave up and went off. I wasnt at the game, but can anybody shed some light on this?

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
From what i heard Knox were too soft to handle the smashing by a dominating trinity side, so their main players gave up and went off. I wasnt at the game, but can anybody shed some light on this?

Mate trinity were an awesome side, they just played better than knox. Knox would never give up like that and how dare you say something like that mate, I know nearly all of the players and they would never do that.

C

Casnovian

What has happened to Knox?

One possibility is that the timing of the Waratah Shield - it didn't work out for them. And this has impacted the players significantly. I understand two weeks ago they played at St Stannies (and won) - in the very cold on the Wednesday - and came back to Sydney by train. Played Waverly that weekend and were beaten. Last Thursday went to Mudgee (and won), came back to Sydney to play Trinity and beaten. Will play Barker next weekend and then the WS semis on 17 August. Interesting who the run on team will be for next weekend vs the August 17 game?

To use the Waratah Shield as an excuse - would be a long bow - after all it was their choice. What doesn't kill them, will make them stronger.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
What has happened to Knox?

One possibility is that the timing of the Waratah Shield - it didn't work out for them. And this has impacted the players significantly. I understand two weeks ago they played at St Stannies (and won) - in the very cold on the Wednesday - and came back to Sydney by train. Played Waverly that weekend and were beaten. Last Thursday went to Mudgee (and won), came back to Sydney to play Trinity and beaten. Will play Barker next weekend and then the WS semis on 17 August. Interesting who the run on team will be for next weekend vs the August 17 game?

To use the Waratah Shield as an excuse - would be a long bow - after all it was their choice. What doesn't kill them, will make them stronger.

the stannies game was actually before the cranbrook game, which knox won quite convincingly. but i think that last week against waverley they were thinking ahead to the trinity game not what was in front of them.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Mate trinity were an awesome side, they just played better than knox. Knox would never give up like that and how dare you say something like that mate, I know nearly all of the players and they would never do that.

I'm glad you say that in support of Knox. I was there – the clinical way Trinity went on with the job to finish Knox off was not characteristic of Trinity.

I never thought that Knox gave up – maybe ran out of ideas, but never gave up.

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
Knox obviously gave up with about 10 minutes to ago, if they didn't how was a hooker allowed to run on the wing for 30-50 meters each run and a prop able to even TRY a chip kick?

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Knox obviously gave up with about 10 minutes to ago, if they didn't how was a hooker allowed to run on the wing for 30-50 meters each run and a prop able to even TRY a chip kick?

Because with 10 minutes to play Trinity were in a position to just "turn it on" and play razzle dazzle rugby - note second row Orr brother and Logan taking shots at goal on the last tries. They had it well & truly won and could kick back and play fun rugby.

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
Because with 10 minutes to play Trinity were in a position to just "turn it on" and play razzle dazzle rugby - note second row Orr brother and Logan taking shots at goal on the last tries. They had it well & truly won and could kick back and play fun rugby.

So what your ultimately trying to say is that Knox pretty much slacked off and allowed Trinity to embarrass and "turn it on"?

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Congrats to Trinity.

clubpro;272910 I know that they have made a concerted effort to make their sports programs more professional .[/QUOTE said:
I stand corrected - so that's why Trinity are winning everything!
Also I didn't realise that Satui, Roberts, Afele and co weren't playing yesterday and had been at Trinity so long.
Thanks for setting the record straight. I'll tell the others.

R

rockon

No one spoke about their longevity of time at the school. Stop trying to start a debate on scholarships and the like because your hint towards it is blatantly ignorant. The 3 you mentioned have been at the school before the trial games even began for trinity, so i'd say their contribution to the trinity squad has been vital. Ignorance on your part

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
NO - the word would be overwhelmed - but do I think Knox gave up - NO.

I'd agree with that. It was 40-10 at half time and 73-10 at the end, so actually Knox allowed fewer tries in the second half, even though the players who were on the field by the end didn't have the technique or physique to answer what Trinity could do. I don't think it was commitment that was lacking.

Pretty sure this was the most points a Trinity 1st XV has scored in a CAS game. Ever. And it must be close to the most ever scored against Knox.

M

Malo

In 2006 Barker won the CAS Premiership AND the Waratah Shield - no excuses! Two weeks ago an unheralded and less than star-studded Barker side put 21 pts on Trinity, the most by any side this season. Yes, they lost by a big margin but not as big as the loss by Knox against Trinity - no excuses!

I do not believe that any boy from any school takes his 1st XV jersey lightly. Well done to the winners. Congratulations to all the boys who put their bodies on the line every week.

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes but in 2006 Barker had a great coach and in 2005 they also made the final of WS.

In 2006 Barker won the CAS Premiership AND the Waratah Shield - no excuses! Two weeks ago an unheralded and less than star-studded Barker side put 21 pts on Trinity, the most by any side this season. Yes, they lost by a big margin but not as big as the loss by Knox against Trinity - no excuses!

I do not believe that any boy from any school takes his 1st XV jersey lightly. Well done to the winners. Congratulations to all the boys who put their bodies on the line every week.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
The true question to ask is why have Trinity suddenly become such a force?
Sure they have some great home grown talent but.....?
The answer lies in another forum within the schoolboy thread.
The answer ?
I assumed that it was because they had better players & were well coached.
You seemingly know something about Trinity that others on this forum don't know.
Perhaps you could give us the benefit of your inside knowledge ?
I'm sure that Trinity's secret of success would be welcome knowledge to other schools who wish to emulate them , ( i.e. assuming that it's a secret that they don't know about & haven't already used ).

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
The answer ?
I assumed that it was because they had better players & were well coached.
You seemingly know something about Trinity that others on this forum don't know.
Perhaps you could give us the benefit of your inside knowledge ?
I'm sure that Trinity's secret of success would be welcome knowledge to other schools who wish to emulate them , ( i.e. assuming that it's a secret that they don't know about & haven't already used ).

Better players: tick. Well coached: tick, one ex-Parramatta and Brumbies perhaps, one teacher a former Trinity 1st XV player & MIC of Rugby. A good admin foundation from preceding years: tick. Inspirational leadership of the Friends of Rugby support movement: tick. Depth of refereeing talent among teachers/parents: tick. Well-credentialled coaches: tick. Unrivaled team spirit among the elite player group: tick. And, whereas some schools have Robbie Deans along for dinner, Trinity gets him along at training ..... Hopefully he will be able to learn something valuable in very short order, as RWC 2011 is only weeks away.

Status
Not open for further replies.