• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.Rugby

You can't judge New from this game. They were very underdone and it showed. They were also missing Roods at 13. FYI, both the props are back from last year (both NSW reps) and are way short of match fitness.

Well then you can't judge Knox from this game either. Missing Cam Clark (Fullback), Nick Cottee (flyhalf), Jac Cameron (IC) & Brett Johnson (flanker) all certainties for 1sts. The game seemed really scrappy though from both sides in my opinion, both sides never seemed to find consistent play and would constantly be making mistakes. My picks from Newington were no.7 & no.9, and from Knox were no.6 (bursle) and no 13 (creeley).

To be honest i thought that the referee was equally bad to both sides, one circumstance was a knox conversion deemed successful by the touchies overulled (wrongly) by the ref.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Interesting how you go to the same match as someone else and pick up on different things. A few observations from today's Knox vs Newington game:

* 2nd Xv game was of a poor standard- not sure how many were out for either side, but it would appear neither School has a lot of depth. Knox certainly does not have the depth that they have enjoyed in previous years.
* Yes- the Newington side was fairly big- both props, Nos 8 & 13 all appeared to be of solid islander stock(Tongan connection?) but as we know size is not everything.
* My player of match was Knox No. 6(Bursle) who was in everything- his front-on tackle of one of the Newington props,driving him backwards was a gem.
* I didn't see Knox's fitness as a problem-especially as they recovered from a 19-12 defecit, scoring 2 tries in the las 10 minutes.

I understand that following Gala Day game(this coming Saturday) against Oakhill, Knox will play Joeys (under lights) @ 6.30 pm on Monday 02/05.

My assessment on fitness was based on one of my new pet peeves that the lads were walking and slowing down quite a bit by the end. Your point that they came back from a deficit probably is a pretty good rebuttal though. And also the fact they faced a bigger side probably did take a bit out of them. Admittedly when it comes to fitness I am probably a little out of my depth, as I have let the Temple turn to lard recently and probably couldn't run out of sight on a wet night.

That number 6 - Bursle - he does like the tackle doesn't he? I recall that tackle as well...quite an effort.

Do you know when the injured players are returning? It looked like C Clark was running water so his return should be imminent. (Actually it looked as though there were a few injured plauyers on the side line not looking excessively damaged.) Three games in less than a week in the week before the competition proper starts...wouldn't that be pushing it?

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
You're right- it was Clark running water- though I spoke to a few Knox insiders I didn't get any info on dates for comebacks.
I'll be in Bathurst this Saturday to see Junior(my son) turn out for Charles Sturt Uni but will get to the Joeys game on Monday

G

G+T

The Knox 2nds were missing a number of players. The 8, 10 and 12 who played in the 1sts would ordinarily be in the 2nds but were covering for three 1sts run on players that were injured (Clark (15), Cottee (10) and Johnson (backrow). The 2nds were also missing thier starting 10 and 13 (one injured and the other a boarder who wasn't back from holidays). Effectively the entire backline (apart from the 15) that played against Newington would not start for the 2nds. One of the centres who played is in fact a backrower. Wouldn't draw any conclusions about the 2nds or overall depth until the 1sts get their injured palyers back and that filters down to the 2nds with their run on players coming down from the 1sts. This is unlikely to happen until round 1 of the CAS.

Interesting how you go to the same match as someone else and pick up on different things. A few observations from today's Knox vs Newington game:

* 2nd Xv game was of a poor standard- not sure how many were out for either side, but it would appear neither School has a lot of depth. Knox certainly does not have the depth that they have enjoyed in previous years.
* Yes- the Newington side was fairly big- both props, Nos 8 & 13 all appeared to be of solid islander stock(Tongan connection?) but as we know size is not everything.
* My player of match was Knox No. 6(Bursle) who was in everything- his front-on tackle of one of the Newington props,driving him backwards was a gem.
* I didn't see Knox's fitness as a problem-especially as they recovered from a 19-12 defecit, scoring 2 tries in the las 10 minutes.

I understand that following Gala Day game(this coming Saturday) against Oakhill, Knox will play Joeys (under lights) @ 6.30 pm on Monday 02/05.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Fixtures involving CAS teams this coming Saturday(30/04) are(home teams listed first)

* Riverview vs Waverley
* Cranbrook vs Sydney Grammar
* St.Patricks vs Trinity
* Aloys vs St.Pius
* Knox vs Oakhill
- details taken from NSW Rugby Referees Appointments list.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
You're right- it was Clark running water- though I spoke to a few Knox insiders I didn't get any info on dates for comebacks.
I'll be in Bathurst this Saturday to see Junior(my son) turn out for Charles Sturt Uni but will get to the Joeys game on Monday

At least you will probably be watching some live Rugby in the dry. The Sydney weather looks quite dire for the next few days.

B

bellcheese

the 16a's age group should be close again this year with knox taking it out last year with waverley and cranbrook in a close 2nd and 3rd. A very exciting age group with many good players.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
the 16a's age group should be close again this year with knox taking it out last year with waverley and cranbrook in a close 2nd and 3rd. A very exciting age group with many good players.

It should also be a lot closer than previous years as Knox have two of their best players imo out for the season.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fixtures involving CAS teams this coming Saturday(30/04) are(home teams listed first)

* Riverview vs Waverley
* Cranbrook vs Sydney Grammar
* St.Patricks vs Trinity
* Aloys vs St.Pius
* Knox vs Oakhill
- details taken from NSW Rugby Referees Appointments list.

Did any of these trials go ahead today?

R

relborG

Knox 1sts won a good quality game 19-7 and the 2nds beat Redfield 1sts 15-7

N

ned

I heard Waverley led 7 nil at half time but Riverview gave them a rugby lesson in the second half. Unfortunately i don't know the score and it would be appreciated if someone could give a match report and the final score.

B

baldingwingforward

I heard Waverley led 7 nil at half time but Riverview gave them a rugby lesson in the second half. Unfortunately i don't know the score and it would be appreciated if someone could give a match report and the final score.

Spoke to a mate who was there. Waverley led 14-0 about 5 miuntes in to the 2nd half, then RIverview finally worked out that if they held on to the ball instead of throwing stupid 50/50 passes in the wet then they might actually score. They scored 4 tries in about 15 minutes and by all accounts could and should have scored lots more. Some brave last ditch tackling by Waverley prevented at least 2 certain tries. Possession was about 70/30 to Riverview - early season lack of combinations and a few key players missing in the backs prevented them from giving Waverley an absolute hiding. They probably should have won by about 30 points or more but Waverley were their usual physical and niggly best.

Waverley tried hard but they don't have much to offer other than Talakai and Ingram Nelson running it close to the ruck.

F

Finland Fella

Knox v Joey's tonight ... I understand kick off is a 6.30.
Are the 2nds, 16As etc on earlier ?
Anyone know ?

T

T.Rugby

Hi Finland Fella,

These are the times for tonight's games @ KGS

U15A- 3.30pm
U16A - 4.30pm
2nd XV - 5.30pm
1st XV - 6.30pm

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Under lights @ KGI:

*Joeys 26(4 tries) defeated Knox 17(3 tries) in the 1st Xv fixture.
The winners benefitted from a tigerish (but small) forward pack that outbustled Knox in the 1st half. They attacked the Knox lineout, winning the first 4 of Knox throw-ins. In the backs their full-back & captain was a standout.
Joeys won the 2nd XV fixture(although they changed complete team in 2nd half) and Knox won the 16As game.
Not sure of result in the 15A game.

Status
Not open for further replies.