• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity4Lyfe

Bob McCowan (2)
Both aloys and waverley came out firing with both teams in some recent good form. Waverley got on the board first with a well executed drop goal. Aloys replied soon later with vevers (10) picking up a double to send aloys up 12-10 at halftime. Some great work by both 7's (wood and johnson who have undoubtably been the top two 7's in the comp this year) enabled their team to achieve several turnovers. Key injuries to the perkins (8) williams (5) and the vevers' brothers throughout the second half compounding with some dirty tactics at the breakdown by waverley were all too much to handle (i believe williams came off due to his front teeth being knocked loose as a result of a blatant headbutt from the waverley 3). Nevertheless, waverley ended the match with a flourish of backline moves which nearly all resulted in points in some beautiful running rugby.

notable players:
aloys: 5,7,10,15
waverley: 7,9,10,12,15

Fendsbrah

Frank Row (1)
Key injuries to the perkins (8) williams (5) and the vevers' brothers throughout the second half compounding with some dirty tactics at the breakdown by waverley were all too much to handle (i believe williams came off due to his front teeth being knocked loose as a result of a blatant headbutt from the waverley 3).

Wasn't just Williams who was subject to dirty tactics. Some of the Waverly boys were a disgrace to themselves through the thugish nature of their footy. From number 3 headbutting Williams(5) through to eye gouging of another Aloys back. It's school boy rugby and the Waverly boys truly tainted what would of been a fantastic game. Shame they had to resort to forcing the best Aloys boys off in order to win. Would of expected better from a school thats always shown themselves to be a rugby powerhouse.

Beat teams with skill not dirty play.

Openside

Stan Wickham (3)
Here is the U16A table after 8 rounds. Cranbrook had a convincing win over Knox on the weekend and are the CAS premiers.
POS TEAM PTS P W D L F A +/-
1 Cranbrook School 14 8 7 0 1 149 58 91
2 Knox Grammar 13 8 6 1 1 165 42 123
3 Waverley College 9 8 4 1 3 109 120 -11
4 Barker College 5 8 2 1 5 97 84 13
5 St Aloysius' College 4 8 2 0 5 51 103 -52
6 Trinity Grammar 3 8 1 1 6 42 178 -136
Cranbrooks 16s division is rock solid, with the b's also being undefeated. Bright days ahead for cranbrook

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wasn't just Williams who was subject to dirty tactics. Some of the Waverly boys were a disgrace to themselves through the thugish nature of their footy. From number 3 headbutting Williams(5) through to eye gouging of another Aloys back. It's school boy rugby and the Waverly boys truly tainted what would of been a fantastic game. Shame they had to resort to forcing the best Aloys boys off in order to win. Would of expected better from a school thats always shown themselves to be a rugby powerhouse.

Beat teams with skill not dirty play.

I wasn't there and don't know how accurate this is. And I don't aim this comment at any one school. But the overall level of sportsmanship I have witnessed in the Associated Schools this year has left a lot to be desired. Sledging seems to have become compulsory. I never found sledging attractive because if you do it when you're losing, you're pathetic, and if you do it when you're winning, you're a bully. But the amount of it that goes on now is incredible. There also seems to be more foul play at this level than in senior football (because at the senior level, throwing a punch or making a dangerous tackle can cost you weeks on the sideline).

Pretty much every school I've seen this year could benefit from approaching the game with better discipline and greater respect for their opponents. You can actually have those things and still play the game hard.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Blame it on the parents methinks - in my day very few of that particularly obnoxious creature on the sideline and we just played the game with the occasional hand bag thrown.

NO - the teachers that continue to select the serial offender player who needs no provocation to do something to "impress" his mates need to be held more accountable. CAS could do worse than adopt the SJRU multiple yellow card process where 3 individual yellows in a season gets you a 1 week suspension.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
There are not enough individual yellows in the competition 'yet' to enforce that rule. However I think that you're right once players become
more aggressive throughout the years that rule will deffinately come into play.
Last round of the season often attracts a fight or two. especially a rival round to finish off. This weekend could get messy.

C

casking

i have to agree Waverley played with very questionable and unethical tactics which was disheartening to see but i believe its up to the referee to take a very hardline stance on any foul play because the schools are obviously not taking any action. I believe referees are to scared to give a yellow card due to the impact it can have on a game however action must be taken to stamp out the foul play not only of Waverley but across the board. The CAS needs to get rid of its fighting culture...

Z

zulumuster

I was at the Alos/Waverley game on Saturday. From the posts above I must have been at another game as its far from my experience that day. Both sides played good hard rugby. Waverley were penalised a few times and so were Alos. Alos was quite equal to Waverley in the first half but seemed a different side in the second half.

The comments above also seem like sour grapes and an effort to excuse the score line at the end of the game. No one condones illegal or dangerous play. What exactly were the "very questionable and unethical tactics" referred to? To my mind, and it would seem to the Ref and to Sideline officials the game was played according to the rules.

Btw one Waverley boy suffered an eye gouge in the game as well. I believe anyone caught doing this should be banned for a season.

G

G&GR News Bot

Saturday’s closing round of the Associated Schools competition is a classic dead rubber. Barker could get pounded insensible by Knox (they won’t) and still be the premiers. Nothing can dislodge Waverley from second place. Cranbrook play St Aloysius to see whether the wooden spoon will be held by both of them or just by Cranbrook.

Click this link to read the full article...

pigprop

Peter Burge (5)
Cranbrooks 16s division is rock solid, with the b's also being undefeated. Bright days ahead for cranbrook
Mate don't get too far ahead of your self
That team tied and then beat the barker 16b's 10-10 and 10-8
both times barker scored two tries late in the second half, but to have the ref blow all 4 up

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Barker is always going to be strong. They have good school spirirt that pump up the players, 'red fever' I think it's called these days. Whether cranbrook win the premiership in 2 years time or not barker will still have red fever. Whis at the end of the day is what the premiership is about... the schools love to have things to say like "who won tw rugby?" it all
come down to school spirit and how that Backs up the talent within a team.
Also let's not forget about trinitys imports, that can often have a big say In the way the season in 2 years pans out. sorry they aren't imports they're a very 'musically' talented rugby team.

topcat

Frank Row (1)
The CAS needs to get rid of its fighting culture.
I think the CAS are taking action.
Following an incident from a match the previous week, a review of the video resulted in 3 boys being suspended for 1 match.
Issue is the boys are imitating the antics and sledging at the senior level across sports.

Trinity4Lyfe

Bob McCowan (2)
I was at the Alos/Waverley game on Saturday. From the posts above I must have been at another game as its far from my experience that day. Both sides played good hard rugby. Waverley were penalised a few times and so were Alos. Alos was quite equal to Waverley in the first half but seemed a different side in the second half.

The comments above also seem like sour grapes and an effort to excuse the score line at the end of the game. No one condones illegal or dangerous play. What exactly were the "very questionable and unethical tactics" referred to? To my mind, and it would seem to the Ref and to Sideline officials the game was played according to the rules.

Btw one Waverley boy suffered an eye gouge in the game as well. I believe anyone caught doing this should be banned for a season.

number 3 (didn't catch his name) blatantly head butted williams in the jaw. i believe williams is in doubt for this week as a result of his teeth being knocked loose. in a separate incident the same player had vevers in a headlock 2 or so metres away from the play and an aloys back was eye gouged and has substantial damage to his eye socket.. mate if thats not "very questionable and unethical tactics" not too sure what is

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Soo we established that there is dirty
play... woopie doo it happens and it's the players choice against the rules if it's seen they'll get pulled up.

Predictions?

C

casking

waverley to thump trinity 40-21
barker by 3
Cranbrook to beat Aloys 19-5

S

sony

word on the street is kitchen from Knox is in this week? anyone confirm
?
100% not true...he had surgery maybe 4 weeks ago and got screws and plates put into his ankle and will have surgery again after the HSC to get them out and i am pretty sure he also may have a broken hand. So it looks like he won't be doing anything for a long time.

J

Justin Macline

wileman will return this week for waverley, however will probably only appear off the bench for a brief period

Status
Not open for further replies.