• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I Gather waverley are going to Canberra, while knox are touring nz in April , not sure on other cas schools

Waves has some good non comp games including the likes of scots, st pats amongst others . Unlike some other schools waverley's season doesn't appear to be a state secret

Things aren't so secret;)

Shore have trials TAS and Barker
Scots have trials Riverview and Kings
New have trials Waverley and Oakhill
Joeys have trials Marist Can/Pats/Gregs and Knox
Riverview have trials Scots and Waverley
Kings have a trial with Scots
Grammar have trials with Pius and High
Knox have trials with St Augs and Joeys
St Augs have trials with Knox and Eddies
High have trials Pius and Grammar

Competitions for all 3 associations begin May 7.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Who's your tip for 2016 Sonny?

Ok I am tipping Knox to go the 3repeat

however I think Waverley are a much better chance in 2016, to upset the Knox juggernaut

and a lot will hinge on the 1st encounter at Knox on 21 May

if Waverley can upset a Knox at home, that might be care of a Knox NZ tour, and Knox facing a full strength Joeys .... inevitable injuries?

anyway here is my thinking as to why it should be close, between Knox and Waverley in 2016:

1. Front Row ....I think Waverley will have a better front row than they had in 2015 ... Finn Wright will have matured ... less ill discipline, and Waverley simply has greater depth with the likes of Paea, Hassan and L Smith in the mix

that is however acknowledging that Knox has the incumbent CAS prop in Grindal

2.in the halves ... while I think the best CAS halves are actually in Aloys & Brook ... again I think Waverley pips Knox in this area... or at least has their measure .... while Knox's Tom Woodcock is good ... I think Waverley has some good options ... with Tyzac Jordan and Donaldson, or a Bell/Jordan combo good options

3. elsewhere in the piggies ... Knox has great players in Basson and Margin ... however again I think it is going to be a closer contest in 2016 ... with the likes of Cornish, O'Sullivan, Murphy and Szabo all very good ... and Knox will lose a lot with Swinton/Chapman a big hole to fill

4. the pretty boys ... Knox has 2 great returning backs in Bosch and Armstrong ... however the loss of speedsters Stenning & Williams is again a big hole for Knox to fill ... so I think the likes of Mohi, Fuller and Yoannidis will be better off, for last years experience

5. Tall timber ... normally Knox's strong suit ... however Waverley has good players in Drew-Morris and P Clifton ... so hoping for a more competitive line-out

so while I still think Knox go in as narrow favorites ... I think it is going to be a far closer contest in 2016 ... and as long as Waverley (backs) don't cough up as much ball as they did in 2015, then I think it will be well worth a trip to Knox on 21 May

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Question ... Can someone tell me what are rules re substitutes in cas opens comp ... Specifically can a team pitch up with 17 players ... With 2 fresh reserves?

Or do all reserves need to have played earlier ... And if so, how much time must they have earlier played?

Say the reserve just played the 1st half of the 2nds fixture ... Is that ok?

I thought there was an upper limit of game time a school boy could play?

So for example if a player ... I'll just use tadgh murphy as an example , plays a full game in the 16as, could he later be a replacement option for the 1st xv... And assuming yes, would there be a limit as to how much time he then played, should he get onto the field in the 1s?

Ps think waverley 16as will be in contention ... Particularly if knox's star centre, Cameron, has a go at making the opens... Not sure if that is on the cards?

RugbyHd

Chris McKivat (8)
Question . Can someone tell me what are rules re substitutes in cas opens comp . Specifically can a team pitch up with 17 players . With 2 fresh reserves?

Or do all reserves need to have played earlier . And if so, how much time must they have earlier played?

Say the reserve just played the 1st half of the 2nds fixture . Is that ok?

So for example if a player . I'll just use tadgh murphy as an example , plays a full game in the 16as, could he later be a replacement option for the 1st xv. And assuming yes, would there be a limit as to how much time he then played, should he get onto the field in the 1s?

Ps think waverley 16as will be in contention . Particularly if knox's star centre, Cameron, has a go at making the opens. Not sure if that is on the cards?

Knox should win regardless. They are a very strong side with good depth as shown in winning the b's and c's. As for Waverley not sure how there b's went and they could lose a couple to opens

S

sidelineview

Look out for another new Waverley forward next year. I hear he's a goodun. It looks like Waverley will be stronger than last year.
Players have always been able to back up for 1sts to my knowledge but i'm not sure about the restrictions to game time for an U16s player for example. Good question.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Question . Can someone tell me what are rules re substitutes in cas opens comp . Specifically can a team pitch up with 17 players . With 2 fresh reserves?

Or do all reserves need to have played earlier . And if so, how much time must they have earlier played?

So for example if a player . I'll just use tadgh murphy as an example , plays a full game in the 16as, could he later be a replacement option for the 1st xv. And assuming yes, would there be a limit as to how much time he then played, should he get onto the field in the 1s?

I don't think there are any rules. It is probably left to the discretion of the school and how they manage their students' welfare. I think this year Knox were having some of their U16's as reserves for the firsts later in the season. In particular one of the forwards - Frost - who apart from apparently being quite a useful athletic away from Rugby - was noticeable for being the largest kid on the field when he did come on.

That said the U16's reservists did seem to be used sparingly.

But harking back to an earlier century and my playing days it was a common occurrence for some lucky kids (those who arrived too early or encountered some some other unfortunate event) to play multiple games on one day. But it was more of a case of playing down rather than up. To allow the reserves of the G's to become the H's and the like. It was only done to assist Joeys, Kings and back then even Shore. These schools would often turn up to the opposition grounds with one or two more teams than the hosts could accomodate. And it may not be an entirely meaningful comparison, as these days the U16s would reserve for a position in which they were familiar. I remember one case when I became the surprisingly useful (in my opinion) winger from the F's to a rather bewildered back-rower of the G's. What little skill I had wasn't quite transferable and the naive enthusiasm I started the game was rather soon belted out of me. But that was a long time ago, and as they say the past is quite different and strange, almost like a different country.

RugbyHd

Chris McKivat (8)
Look out for another new Waverley forward next year. I hear he's a goodun. It looks like Waverley will be stronger than last year.
Players have always been able to back up for 1sts to my knowledge but i'm not sure about the restrictions to game time for an U16s player for example. Good question.

Got a name?

leftrightout16

Peter Burge (5)
Any news on pre season of all the schools?. I heard Cornish has has another knee injury that might hinder him from playing this season. Sad to here hear this as he was a promising player.

Mr Goyu Goodthing

Frank Nicholson (4)
Any news on pre season of all the schools?. I heard Cornish has has another knee injury that might hinder him from playing this season. Sad to here hear this as he was a promising player.

If that is true, then I am very sad to hear it. Let's hope for a good recovery for the young fella. It would be good to see him back on the paddock.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
If that is true, then I am very sad to hear it. Let's hope for a good recovery for the young fella. It would be good to see him back on the paddock.

Not good for waverley's chances, if he is sitting out another season

Not sure of schoolboy stats, but reckon Union probably sees more injuries than league, but far more are relatively minor ... Bumps and bruises ... Whereas thing league is more likely to see more serious knee injuries , with the fact that often kids are being tackled by 3 kids

And can't believe they haven't outlawed the trip tackle

I gather waverley are competing in scots colleges sevens comp on Easter Saturday ...

S

sidelineview

Got a name?

No, no name yet but it will strengthen Waverley's forward squad for the year if it eventuates. They'll have size and experience.
Barring injury they look like having good depth this year with last year's U16s squad very strong and with quite a few players backing up with previous 1st XV experience. Several players will be playing their 3rd year in the 1sts which is an obvious advantage.
But the same can be said for some other teams as well, particularly Knox, so it should be interesting.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)

Ps think waverley 16as will be in contention . Particularly if knox's star centre, Cameron, has a go at making the opens. Not sure if that is on the cards?
I believe the general rule is that a player must have played a full game before sitting on the bench as a fresh reserve for a 1st XV fixture as an example. It is not unusual for a 1st XV player to have 1/2 a game in the 3rds then 1/2 a game in the 2nds before subbing for the 1st XV. I don't recall fresh subs in 1st XV clashes. Of course some schools might fiddle the game time earlier but generally they have to have played properly earlier. It's worth keeping in mind that boys are at school and entitled to a full game of rugby, or any other sport as part of their education.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I believe the general rule is that a player must have played a full game before sitting on the bench as a fresh reserve for a 1st XV fixture as an example. It is not unusual for a 1st XV player to have 1/2 a game in the 3rds then 1/2 a game in the 2nds before subbing for the 1st XV.
I have noticed on several occasions 17-18 kids warming up, and the only reason ( I suspect), that no one picks up that there are reserves is that they have pre-match jerseys ... oh well probably not a big deal, but certainly things are becoming much professional than in by-gone days

I think the battle for the CAS number 10 jersey is going to be an interesting one ... as there are several great players ... although I am tipping Cranbrook's Stenmark, in what I see as a 3 horse race

S

sidelineview

I have noticed on several occasions 17-18 kids warming up, and the only reason ( I suspect), that no one picks up that there are reserves is that they have pre-match jerseys . oh well probably not a big deal, but certainly things are becoming much professional than in by-gone days

I think the battle for the CAS number 10 jersey is going to be an interesting one . as there are several great players . although I am tipping Cranbrook's Stenmark, in what I see as a 3 horse race

Who are the other 2?

Jarryd Hayne

Stan Wickham (3)
Who are the other 2?

I think there was some commentary on this topic earlier in the thread.

It will be an interesting tussle for the CAS No. 10 Jersey's this season.
IMHO the following are contenders:

Dainton (Aloys) - Had an excellent 2014 season. Hopefully he will have overcome that injury.
Woodcock (Knox) - Rated best young talent in CAS 2015. Has a complete game and was one of highest point scorers in CAS last year.
Stenmark (CRAN) - Played a couple of very good games at end last season. Must have been the games that SonnyDill watched. Has a good positional kicking game.

Based on games I have watched, I would probably go with Woodcock. However, its too hard to make predictions at this stage. It will hinge on the first round of the season, what teams play well, what the coaches want, who scores points and plays well, etc.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
My understanding ....Tom Woodcock was in NSW Under 16s in 2015 ... having been in CAS Under 16s, however that was at no 12, and Stennmark was 10 in the same CAS Under 16s team ... albeit he didn't make the NSW Under 16s

Matt Dainton is as I understand it the younger brother of James Dainton ... and he was in NSW Under 16s in 2014

... maybe one would argue M Dainton might be front-runner having player NSW under 16s earlier

so yes in tipping Stennmark ... I have departed from form guide, and yes maybe the games I have seen him in, were his better games ... but just thought he looked good/composed/etc ...thought him similar to the elder Renton and certainly he turned around Cranbrook's backline, at the back-end of 2015, after being elevated from 16s

Sideline ... maybe you think a Waverley kid in the mix ... but I wasn't sure even on whether Tyzac playing 10 in 2016?

S

sidelineview

Sideline . maybe you think a Waverley kid in the mix . but I wasn't sure even on whether Tyzac playing 10 in 2016?

Jordan was selected in the CAS 2nds squad as a 10 last season and sat on the bench for the 1sts every game; he got game time on the wing, so he must have impressed someone. He played mainly fly half for Waverley for the last two seasons, but also played fullback and wing.
He also played most of the Final for CAS U16s as a 9 when they beat GPS in 2014 with Dainton at 10. Incidentally, most of that team are still at school in their final season of rugby which makes it look good for CAS this year.
If he plays 10 this year he should be in the mix, but it's anyone's guess what position he will play. Some rate him as a better fullback, others as a scrum half. Like the others playing their 3rd year of 1sts for Waverley he is bigger and stronger and more experienced now, but other schools can boast that as well.
I suppose he will play where he is needed most in the team but his utility value should please the coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.