• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
My understanding ..Tom Woodcock was in NSW Under 16s in 2015 . having been in CAS Under 16s, however that was at no 12, and Stennmark was 10 in the same CAS Under 16s team . albeit he didn't make the NSW Under 16s

Matt Dainton is as I understand it the younger brother of James Dainton . and he was in NSW Under 16s in 2014

. maybe one would argue M Dainton might be front-runner having player NSW under 16s earlier

so yes in tipping Stennmark . I have departed from form guide, and yes maybe the games I have seen him in, were his better games . but just thought he looked good/composed/etc .thought him similar to the elder Renton and certainly he turned around Cranbrook's backline, at the back-end of 2015, after being elevated from 16s

Sideline . maybe you think a Waverley kid in the mix . but I wasn't sure even on whether Tyzac playing 10 in 2016?

From the games i managed to see last year, Darcy Searle is a far better option at 10 for 'brook, has played there for NSW country and understand he was put into the centres to strengthen the defensive line out wider. Unfortunately we did not get to see him in attack from this point as the ball was consistently kicked away.

Agree on Dainton, unfortunate injury last year and has consistently been the form 10 in this age group for several years, Gordon, Schoolboys and NSW

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
personally I hope to see Tyzac playing at 9

my CAS 1 backline, subject to early game perform:

9. Tyzac Bailey (W) or P Slaven (A)
10. Stennmark (C) or M Dainton (A)
11. J Mohi (W) or P Slaven (A)
12. T Fuller (W) or D Searle (C) or Woodcock (K)
13. Armstrong (K)
14. Bosch (K)
15. R Longville (T)

Didn't Waverley have a pre-season training this morning ... any sign of Cornish?

S

sidelineview

13. Armstrong (K)
14. Bosch (K)
15. R Longville (T)

Didn't Waverley have a pre-season training this morning . any sign of Cornish?

If Dainton comes back as strong as he was 2 years ago he will be hard to keep out as the 10 for CAS 1sts, but we'll have to see how he performs after not playing for a season. Tyzac Jordan, Slaven and Bosch can each play several different positions which will be an advantage for CAS should they all make it.

blindsideflanker

Allen Oxlade (6)

13. Armstrong (K)
14. Bosch (K)
15. R Longville (T)

Didn't Waverley have a pre-season training this morning . any sign of Cornish?
That's a reasonable backline SDW. Interested to see your forward pack.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
That's a reasonable backline SDW. Interested to see your forward pack.

CAS Forward Pack - subject to form/injuries & whether they turn up:

1. Paea (W) - Randwick/Newington Air-drop or Anstey (B) Team Rehab 2015
2. Wright (W) - CAS u16 2015 or Connor Grindal (K) CAS 2nds XV
3. Wayland (T) - NSW Under 16s 2014 - injured in 2015
4. Rasch (T) - CAS 1sts 2015
5. P Clifton (W) - CAS u16
6. Margin (K) - NSW U 16s 2014, CAS 2nds 2015
7. M Basson (K) - CAS 1sts XV
8. A Spira (C) - 2015 Easts 3rds Colts & Gym

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)

Nice squad-

Cutrone (k) will be there as well.

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)

That's a HUGE back grow. I also think Wayland could be a good hooker.

theauthority123

Bob McCowan (2)

What about Kemeny from cranbrook who played flanker for the CAS 2nds last year

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
What about Kemeny from cranbrook who played flanker for the CAS 2nds last year

yes good point ... he played pretty well at back end of 2015 ... and assuming he is son of the kemeny that played in Cranbrook centres in late 80s, his old man was pretty handy too

there are other options for backrow that I gather are reasonable , that include Hardina (A), although size might be the issue

I have gone for a large back row, and maybe that is the classic schoolboy selection error

... you only have to look at last years $cots kid (Smith) to see that you can be 70 kg soaking wet, and a good work rate, is something not to be overlooked

gordon fray

Bob McCowan (2)
yes good point . he played pretty well at back end of 2015 . and assuming he is son of the kemeny that played in Cranbrook centres in late 80s, his old man was pretty handy too

there are other options for backrow that I gather are reasonable , that include Hardina (A), although size might be the issue

I have gone for a large back row, and maybe that is the classic schoolboy selection error

. you only have to look at last years $cots kid (Smith) to see that you can be 70 kg soaking wet, and a good work rate, is something not to be overlooked

agreed,maybe CAS should look to a mobile backrow this year.The large predominantly Knox pack were dominated last year by GPS.Also playing players in their usual position should help--eg basson at 8,Margin at 4 etc .Throwing a few Aloes names into the mix from last years team,Hrdina is a strong 7,Denny,a true 6, started the season at 6 but played all season at 5 for injured Knowlan-cas2nds 2014.Also don't forget Mazzaraki in the backs--can play wing,fullback or centre--and has bulked up on last year.Also agree Kemeny from cranbrook a good option at 6

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
been told by someone who seems to know his stuff that .... Waverley's Wright is sticking to Prop, and Anstey (B) and Grindal (K) would be 1st choice CAS Props ... so maybe not such a bad idea Wayland (T) at hooker , unless Knox's Cuttrone could play Hooker?

A good line out throw is an under-rated skill :confused:

Apparently Cranbrook's Spira will be a non-starter ... since making the under 17 shot put record, he has disappeared ... presumably to Golds Gym

so revised CAS Fwds

1. Anstey (B)
2. Wayland (T)
3. Grindal (K)
4. Clifton (W)
5. Rasch (T)
6. Kemeny (C)
7. Margin (K)
8. Basson (K)

Knox forwards going to be again hard to stop in 2016

S

sidelineview

CAS 16s 2014
1st XV - C Grindall ( K ), M Swallow ( T ), T Anstey ( B ), H Margin ( K ), L Rasch ( T ), M Horsley ( K ), N Hrdina ( A ), M Basson ( K ), R Butler ( K ), M Dainton ( A ), J Yoannidis ( W ), J Morris ( T ), J Armstrong ( K ), S Hasegawa ( B ), L Bosch ( K ), E Stene ( A ), J Wayland ( T ), E Miscallef ( W ), L Ireland ( K ), C Molla ( T ), T Bailey ( W ), R Longville ( T ), P Slaven ( A ),

T. Bailey is now T. Jordan
Who from this team is not still at school?
Butler (K), E.Stene (A), E. Micallef (W), ....??

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
I hear one of 2015 waverley 1st xv coaches is off to
Knox . To run a boarding house

There sure has been some staff coming and going at Birrell street, of late

And a bit of a loss of rugby brains, over recent years

Serhon . To newington
O'shea . To joeys
Engele . To trinity
Maloney . To knox

Which leaves good old faithful . Cornish.

And what of this new deputy head from nudgee, maybe he has some interest in the game they play in heaven . Still spinning out about Jonah.

Between him and jerry Collins . Very sad

Bargingbarnes, no place for Cornish in your backline?
Is Engele still coaching at Trinity? He hasn't has a lot of success over there yet he is coaching the NSW Schoolboys. Time for a change perhaps...?

Is Maloney coaching at Knox?

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Is Engele still coaching at Trinity? He hasn't has a lot of success over there yet he is coaching the NSW Schoolboys. Time for a change perhaps.?

Is Maloney coaching at Knox?

You also have Tom Wright who was a Joeys winger for 2 years in the firsts and played GPS/NSW - recently signed with Manly Sea Eagles aswell (left in year 7)

And no, I think Knox have better coaches that need no replacing at the moment for Maloney. Will probably do their cricket program at some stage but.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
been told by someone who seems to know his stuff that .. Waverley's Wright is sticking to Prop, and Anstey (B) and Grindal (K) would be 1st choice CAS Props . so maybe not such a bad idea Wayland (T) at hooker , unless Knox's Cuttrone could play Hooker?

A good line out throw is an under-rated skill :confused:

Apparently Cranbrook's Spira will be a non-starter . since making the under 17 shot put record, he has disappeared . presumably to Golds Gym

so revised CAS Fwds

1. Anstey (B)
2. Wayland (T)
3. Grindal (K)
4. Clifton (W)
5. Rasch (T)
6. Kemeny (C)
7. Margin (K)
8. Basson (K)

Knox forwards going to be again hard to stop in 2016

Some further suggestions to your team for this year

1. Anstey (B)
2. Cutrone (K)
3. Wayland (T)
4. Rasch (T)
5. Will ? (Alos 2nd Rower)
6. Kemeny (C)
7. Basson (K)
8. Margin (K)
9. Slaven (A)
10. Dainton (A)
11. Longville (T)
12. Morris (T)
13. Searle (C)
14. Bailey (W)
15 Armstrong (K)

Just need to confirm the availability of the 2nd rower from Alos , believe he was in Yr 11 last year?

Mr Goyu Goodthing

Frank Nicholson (4)

1. Anstey (B)
2. Cutrone (K)
3. Wayland (T)
4. Rasch (T)
6. Kemeny (C)
7. Basson (K)
8. Margin (K)
9. Slaven (A)
10. Dainton (A)
11. Longville (T)
12. Morris (T)
13. Searle (C)
14. Bailey (W)
15 Armstrong (K)

Just need to confirm the availability of the 2nd rower from Alos , believe he was in Yr 11 last year?

OK. The CAS Team selection thing is now getting a little ridiculous, with this list showing Trinity having 4 x players selected - The same number as the team that went undefeated last year. I think Trinity came 4th out of 6 in comp? Plenty of players in this team that did nothing last season to warrant selection - particularly in the backs. Most recent form is the only appropriate gauge.

gordon fray

Bob McCowan (2)

1. Anstey (B)
2. Cutrone (K)
3. Wayland (T)
4. Rasch (T)
6. Kemeny (C)
7. Basson (K)
8. Margin (K)
9. Slaven (A)
10. Dainton (A)
11. Longville (T)
12. Morris (T)
13. Searle (C)
14. Bailey (W)
15 Armstrong (K)

no.5 for Aloes last year was Will Denny--year 12 this year
Slaven can play 9 but better out wide where some space

Status
Not open for further replies.